Favourite Survivor Series team?

tiger_rick

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

As a kid Jake Roberts in 1989's Hulkamaniacs seemed by far the weak link, nowhere near the star power of radioactive baldy and the studded destroyers. Looking back of course he's the best worker there!

I just bigged him up in another thread but Ventura does amazing work in this match getting the heels over, and driving at how hard-done by Zeus is by the DQ. Great booking.

• Paid Members

As a kid Jake Roberts in 1989's Hulkamaniacs seemed by far the weak link, nowhere near the star power of radioactive baldy and the studded destroyers. Looking back of course he's the best worker there!

Jake did a clean job in a 2 on 1 situation against Dibiase as well, which is just crazy considering how they protected everyone at the Survivor Series back then. Dibiase was the babyface really. All three of his team were given the red card and then he fought back to beat Jake to even it up against Hogan.

Survivor Series 1990 was when I became a fan, had heard of the WWF but after that I was hooked and it was the beginning of making me a Warrior, the team had it all, cool hair cuts (in 1990), colourful outfits, face paint and tastles, I loved it all, their opponents looked either cool (Perfect) or scary (Demolition)

It also I think put me right off Hogan, his buddies looked like the village people and I basically hated him for years up until about Wrestlemania 18, in my school you were either in Warrior's camp or Hogan's for the next year or two until nobody gave a shit about wrestling.

I did like them teaming up in the final though but I guess they thought 8 or 10 man elimination tag matches didn't sell, so they needed proper title matches and switched to that.

• Paid Members

I remember first watching SS93 as a kid and thinking the Rock n Roll Express were a new young team ripping off the Rockers. Which is odd looking back now because they looked fucking ancient even in 93. Like Shawn and Marty are both on this show, and look about 20 years younger than Ricky and Robert. They look like they've just got off tour with Black Lace.

• Paid Members

That was definitely one of them. I think Royal Rumble 93 for me was when the star power looked super weak. Young up and comer Carlos Calon turning up half way through might have done it.

Because it was so early in my fandom, I just assumed that's how it goes. You have a load of stars and then you change it up. Like a football team when the top players get old. I couldnt imagine the shock of all those stars leaving. In 1992 Hogan, Warrior, Bulldog, the LOD and loads of regular midcard stars just disappeared. WWF took a battering.

That's a great point about it being like a football team, Ian. Even more so as a young Sunderland fan where a knackered old Terry Butcher leaving in '93 could hardly be compared to Hogan and Warrior fucking off.

As a kid, I think Vince must have just played a blinder on me in terms of his new chosen ones. I was conscious of Hogan, Warrior and Bulldog specifically being gone and Savage wrestling much less, but Bret, Shawn (and to a lesser extend Diesel and Razor going into 94) must have made me think 'yep, this lot are fine' and I just cracked on.

The 93-98 Rumbles bear out the lack of stars horribly, on rewatch of course. Then Russo's 99

one splits the match almost literally in half between stars and nobodies and its apparent the company is well and truly back on its feet.

• Moderators

I remember first watching SS93 as a kid and thinking the Rock n Roll Express were a new young team ripping off the Rockers. Which is odd looking back now because they looked fucking ancient even in 93. Like Shawn and Marty are both on this show, and look about 20 years younger than Ricky and Robert. They look like they've just got off tour with Black Lace.

Mother fuckers stole their music too in 98! Ha, of course they ain't Motherfuckers. They piss on the Rockers to be honest.

Archived