The gift of Jericho

kamicazze

Jericho has been superb recently with his latest character reinvention. I can't think of anyone who has reinvented their gimmick this many times to adapt to the times. Only downside with Jericho is he rarely has truly great matches. Being that I am on a bit of a Jericho buzz once again I think we should discuss some of y2j's finest bouts.

Triple h at fully loaded 2000 is one of my personal faves. Jericho a lifelong mid carder to them challenging the top boy in company who also happened to be the authority too. A great back and forth match showing triple h at his very peak: drawing us in to really believe that Jericho could win the big one. And then finally suplex through table. They both lie motionless and on the count of 9 trips somehow gets up to collapse again. Great match, great ending. Both elevated as a result

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah he definitely should have went over. Sometimes putting up the fight of your life isn't good enough. It works for Shelton Benjamin in 2004 but 2000 Chris Jericho? It was one of those 'rubs' that came off patronising. "You had one hell of a crack at it little man. Kick some ass with Benoit again at the next PPV when me and Rock do some numbers."

HHH really wound me up at various points:

Here

vs Booker at WM where T needed to go over but HHH got the win and T was made to look inferior

Vs Sting at WM

There have been times when he's really needed to do the job!

That said I can only imagine how he felt when told "ure losing to Hogan!"

For me Jericho peaked in WCW when he turned baddie. Ralphus, Greenberg, Little Trooper, Monday Night Jericho. He could have been there Rock equivalent at the time with his catchphrases. Instead they phase him out and let him go to the WWF. Loved hus intro, best ever i think, after thathe never did it for me to that level again.

Always loved Jericho.

Jericho vs Raven Halloween Havoc 98 (I think ?) is one of my favourite "under ten minutes" matches of all time. Two of the best midcard talents in the company at the time who were being given nothing to do storyline-wise were just thrown out at the top of the card to have a heel vs heel match just because.

Sounds odd on paper but they ended up having an absolute barn-burner. I tried to find it on youtube but no luck, I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it.

• Paid Members

I loved Jericho when I'd not even seen him. Back when Final Martin's opinion was my opinion!

He looked great in WCW and everything I read about his ring and mic work was positive so I was a huge fan when he turned up in the WWF with nothing really to back it up.

That first year or so was very odd. They debuted him like a megastar. The crowd went "Yeah, we'll buy this - this cunt's a superstar" and they then did nothing with him.one step forward and two back for over a year.

The feud with X-Pac, pissing about with Chyna, having his title win reversed and losing that match at Fully Loaded all undermined him.

I was still behind him for years after but it was never quite the same. You need to strike while the iron's hot and they never did.

His feud with the Rock in the second half of 2001 was excellent. Funny they then gave him the biggest wins of his life but the ship had sailed.

Love the way he's reinvented himself. I've not enjoyed him for years before this ring and given how much I liked him once upon a time, I don't like that. He's brilliant again though. Drink it in, man.

Jericho has a really weird career to rate. He's been in some amazing feuds, but a lot of gtf moments in their too. Re read his last two books over the last few weeks, and love his approach to a lotta stuff. Just never sure what tier of legend he sits at

Just never sure what tier of legend he sits at

Probably not too far from Edge, either way.

I don't think he needed to do the job to Sting. There was nothing to gain or lose from either of them going over.

It was an opportunity for WWE to say to their audience, "Look, we're finally over that stuff now, and we're not afraid to put WCW's biggest ever star over one of our own second or third tier legends."

Instead they had the heel and face announcers both bury WCW all over again while Sting extends a respectful hand to the man who just cheated to win by lamping him with a sledgehammer.

His feud with Dean Malenko was great.  The heat for the match when Malenko unmasked was off the charts! 

One of my favourite segments of all time is Jericho explaining to a homeless women in Washington DC why the result of the match with Malenko should be overturned!  Nitro at its best.

Archived