Which debut intrigued or underwhelmed you the most?

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

For me it was probably the Radicalz jumping the barricade to beat down DX. I never watched WCW programming, but It was around the time I  got the internet and started my smart mark wanker phase.  seeing 4 guys who I'd only read about as being totally awesome wrestlers, jumping ship to the king WWE, I was over the fucking moon with excitement. I can quite clearly remember creating their CAW's on No Mercy immediately after I finished watching that episode of Raw.

I'll throw Jericho and Tazz into this for the very same reasons.  

RVD's WWF in ring debut in 2001 at the Invasion PPV intrigued the bollocks off me. I had only ever watched WWF from mid 1998 and only knew RVD's name from mentions in Power Slam and the like. He showed up at Invasion, twatted Matt Hardy with a chair backstage and then went out and outshined Jeff Hardy in a brilliant and really innovative (in the eyes of 14 year old me) hardcore match,winning the Hardcore title in the process. From then on he was a star to me, and way cooler than Jericho, Angle or Taker (who was going through his dickhead phase) or any of the other WWF babyfaces.

There was a real buzz about RVD in those first few months. He was a good example of how quickly somebody could ascend if much of the character from their previous jobs was left in tact. As has happened with NXT and the likes of AJ Styles in modern WWE. The familiarity is great, because a section of the audience is full of in-built excitement, and if the guy in question brings something new to the table and is fun to watch, the rest of the crowd wants to catch up.

Having binged on every bit of Delta ECW I could get my grubby hands on and years of Power Slam build up, I was salivating at some of the RVD stuff in 01. He was unique too in being the only Alliance guy to completely blow off how fucking stupid the whole thing was (in storyline terms), which cast him aside from Steve Austin's gang of subservient idiots.

• Paid Members

RVD was great then too. He brought exactly what he brought in ECW. He wasn't exposed by the big league setting - he thrived on it. His act was fresh, he didn't need to say much and he was flying around the ring like nobodies business.

They should definitely have struck while the iron was hot. When they didn't, he never quite had the same motivation and because his range was quite limited, once you'd seen him a few times, you'd seen the lot. He became pretty repetitive pretty quickly.

• Moderators

As a young lad, my brother and I discussed with much excitement for what seemed like an age what amazing wrestler we thought was going to pop out of the egg at Survivor Series. Fucking Gobbledy Gooker. I can't describe what a colossal let down that was. What a load of shit!

Wrestling has disappointed me a lot of times since then, but you get conditioned to expect it. The first cut is the deepest...

edit bonus: I've talked about it on here before, but Trytan in TNA was probably the most hilarious letdown of a debut that I can remember in relatively recent times. They gave him the big mysterious Gabbo build for weeks, and then when the big day came that lanky, goofy looking doofus came out and proceeded to fail in setting the world alight.

Whispering into people's ears as a gimmick.

So basically, a re-hash of Just Joe?

I can quite clearly remember creating their CAW's on No Mercy immediately after I finished watching that episode of Raw.

Sorry to be a pedant, but all of The Radicalz were already in No Mercy. You must have made them in Wrestlemania 2000.

CM Punk ECW Debut 

A simple few weeks of vignettes explaining being Straight Edge, His training methods, Tattoo's, Passion etc his character was well fleshed out and established with maybe 10 mins total build up (something wwe should use more often), he was fresh but came with some buzz and excitement, his match with Justin Credible was good and served its purpose and timing was perfect infront of the right crowd, he was made to look a star straight away.

Del Rio

He was built up to be an new 'million dollar man' type character, given a servant, fancy cars, the lot, but fuck me was boring from day one til now, always seemed uninterested and going through the motions, hope he's gone again he wont be missed

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/8yx695/SCG_Radio_94_-_Best_And_Worst_Debuts_Ever.mp3

Join us as we discuss the Best and Worst Debuts in Wrestling History! Talking all about the introductions that intrigued or underwhelmed you most, we take your nominations and cover the lofty highs provided by the debuts of Chris Jericho, Kane, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tazz, The Undertaker, The Radicalz, Mankind, Phantasio (!), Sean O'Haire and many more. But fear not, we also cover the staggering lows gifted us by the Shockmaster, Mordecai, Glacier, Seven, Bret Hart in WCW, DDP in the WWF, ROCKABILLY, Tensai and numerous others. A fun show this week, as we banter about some of the most fun memories wrestling provides - check it out!

I can quite clearly remember creating their CAW's on No Mercy immediately after I finished watching that episode of Raw.

Not that clearly as they were already playable characters in No Mercy. Probs Wrestlemania 2000 you were thinking of.

I couldn't let this pass cos I'm a pedantic tit  :unsure:

Pity that debut was followed by Eddie dislocating his elbow the same week :/

EDIT: Ah bollocks, should have scrolled down and seen that neil is brill had already pointed that out. This is why I'm a long-time lurker and not a regular poster.

• Paid Members

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/8yx695/SCG_Radio_94_-_Best_And_Worst_Debuts_Ever.mp3

Join us as we discuss the Best and Worst Debuts in Wrestling History! Talking all about the introductions that intrigued or underwhelmed you most, we take your nominations and cover the lofty highs provided by the debuts of Chris Jericho, Kane, Shinsuke Nakamura, Tazz, The Undertaker, The Radicalz, Mankind, Phantasio (!), Sean O'Haire and many more. But fear not, we also cover the staggering lows gifted us by the Shockmaster, Mordecai, Glacier, Seven, Bret Hart in WCW, DDP in the WWF, ROCKABILLY, Tensai and numerous others. A fun show this week, as we banter about some of the most fun memories wrestling provides - check it out!

Fun show Liam, background footy results screaming included.

Archived