Podcast/Interview Thread (MMA/Boxing etc) ?

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Watched it last night because I'm a single man with holes in his pants. Anyway, it was very good. Yoel explaining the Cuban wrestling system was proper interesting; no wonder it created a Yoel Romero. Also confirms Yoel has the best voice on earth.

Bonus Yoel/Uncle Joey:

• Paid Members

Finally got around to Yoel on Rogan's podcast. Been listening to it in instalments over the weekend. It's a bit hard to follow at times with the language barrier but I'm really enjoying it all in all. And if, god forbid, Ray The Translator somehow jacks in the job, I'd like to see Joey Diaz become Yoel's full time translator in the UFC. 

I think the highlight of the podcast for me was them addressing the Tim Kennedy fight. 

Rogan's been harping on Yoel sitting on the stool too long for years now so it was good to see Yoel give his side of it right to Rogan's face. It's always bugged me how Yoel took all the heat from that and that Kennedy had the cheek to bellyache about it. When as Yoel points out here, Kennedy was being a dirty shit himself with the glove holding which Rogan's always ignored because he loves a bit of Kennedy. 

Pat Miletich on Joe Rogan podcast, true old school guy from near the start of MMA, good listen some crazy old school fights get talked about and the guy had really the first big team in MMA that produced several world champions including himself. He's been apparently paralysed 2 times from neck up (I'm guessing for very short times as he fought after them) but said he's never been concussed which is crazy if true.

Utter nonsense that concussion stuff. Maybe he’s never been diagnosed, but that’s it.

He talks about having never having had a concussion, then goes on to talk about having once been cracked on the head with a brick, beat round the head by bikers with pool cues and having twice been punched so hard in the head it paralysed him from the neck down. 

All that and no concussions? Rubbish.

• Paid Members

Aye. That's some grand fighter GP work. Frankie Edgar claims he's never had a concussion too, which doesn't seem right at all.

Another one from last night. Not a clue who either were beforehand, in truth, but I really enjoyed this episode. I makes you want to watch more Muay Thai.

Also, going by a few interviews I've heard. The soundest guys in the sports game are the Muay Thai fighters. Even the few Rogan has had on have been well sound.

• Paid Members

I did Muay Thai in my teens. I was shit and jacked it in after a bit because it hurt and I soon realised it wasn't the life for me. Anyway, yeah, everyone I met through Muay Thai was sound. There must be some dickheads involved but you don't see many. I guess it's amazing how quickly a shin to the ribs will put an ego in check, eh? My younger sister actually stuck training at it longer than me and had a couple of semi pro fights. She's got to be about 5'2" and 8st at best after a big dinner and I don't mind admitting she's way harder than me. 

I'm trying to think of fighters from Muay Thai background who seemed like twats now and I'm drawing a blank. Pat Smith in the early UFC's had a bit of a prick vibe to him but I don't know. I guess there's Badr Hari...

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
On 18/03/2018 at 9:30 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Finally got around to Yoel on Rogan's podcast. Been listening to it in instalments over the weekend. It's a bit hard to follow at times with the language barrier but I'm really enjoying it all in all. And if, god forbid, Ray The Translator somehow jacks in the job, I'd like to see Joey Diaz become Yoel's full time translator in the UFC. 

I think the highlight of the podcast for me was them addressing the Tim Kennedy fight. 

Rogan's been harping on Yoel sitting on the stool too long for years now so it was good to see Yoel give his side of it right to Rogan's face. It's always bugged me how Yoel took all the heat from that and that Kennedy had the cheek to bellyache about it. When as Yoel points out here, Kennedy was being a dirty shit himself with the glove holding which Rogan's always ignored because he loves a bit of Kennedy. 

I only just got a chance to listen to it there yesterday and loved it. Yoel is just so easy to listen to, even in Spanish. For a man that can beat people into oblivion, when he talks he could soothe you to sleep. I could listen to him and Alan Titchmarsh talk about Hyacinths all day and still be relaxed and entertained. 

• Paid Members

That's what I love about Yoel Romero. He's a beast and he looks like he'd be a thug meathead but you hear him talk and he's the total opposite. I could just see Yoel talking gardening with Titchmarsh. 

image.jpg

Oh yeah, one of the things I liked about that Rogan podcast was when Joey Diaz would translate what Yoel was saying, he'd keep casually adding a "fuckin" in for effect. I'm pretty sure Yoel wasn't saying "fuckin". 

Yoel Romero in Spanish: I have a question for you Joe Rogan. 

Joey Diaz's translation: HE'S GOT A FUCKIN' QUESTION FOR YA, JOE! 

:laugh: 

Edited by wandshogun09

It really wound me up when people complained he was only translating 30% of what Yoel was saying. That's kind of the way to do it, no? If he'd have just done a dull word-for-word translation it'd have been boring and really, really long. Instead, he paraphrased, gave Joe all the key points whilst making the whole thing seem loose and like a good conversation. The fact they made that work as an entertaining podcast is a miracle. Joey did a great job.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Kevin Lee's JRE episode is tremendous. He dropped all his schtick and comes across as one of the most likeable underdogs in sport. For 25, he's got a good head on him, going by this. He's loquacious, which helps a lot, and a welcome change from some of the laconic fighters Rogan has had on - Gust, Stipe etc.

Edited by ColinBollocks