Happy Birthday Sylvester Stallone

IANdrewDiceClay

Have watched Rocky - Rocky 4 more than any other films. Much like wrestling, Rocky was a huge part of me growing up.

I loved Over to Top and Cobra to. He was a great booker of his charachters in the Rocky films.

The training montages in the Rockys are the best thing ever.

• Moderators

Demolition Man was the one for me. It was a family film in our household, as it was one of the few actioners that my sister liked as well. I have seen it countless times. I really love that film.

My mum's friend sold him a rug once, I saw the photo of her with him; her really is fucking tiny.

I don't think I've ever really heard any stories about him and his personal life, I have to say. I don't know much about the man himself.

I think I could just about word for word recite Demolition Man. It's brilliant. Cliffhanger, Daylight and Escape Plan are great and Rocky 1-4 ware a massive part of my childhood. I also seem to be the only person alive who likes Rambo 3 the best out of the series based entirely round this one scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx6jTLMA0CQ

• Paid Members

My mum's friend sold him a rug once, I saw the photo of her with him; her really is fucking tiny.

A carpet or a wig?

I love Sly, he's no Arnie though. Crazy how old those bastards have got, he's nearly 20 years older than Charles Bronson was in Death Wish and I always thought he was so old in that.

Sly's a good guy from what I can gather, he did a multiple day q&a session on a movie news website a few years ago and he seemed cool. Speaking of Death Wish, in that q&a he asked the fans what they thought of him doing a remake of it,everyone said it was a bad idea and he dropped it there and then,last thing I heard that mug Bruce Willis was going for the role.

• Paid Members

Didnt Stallone in a round about way create the Fonz character? I always heard something like that.

I knew it would be something to do with The Lords of Flatbush — I had this film on DVD, it seemed great, but the transfer was so bad that it was almost unwatchable. I'm going to search out a better version.

Anyway, according to IMDB:

Henry Winkler stated that when he was creating the character of the Fonz in Happy Days (1974), he based his performance on Sylvester Stallone's portrayal of Stanley.

• Paid Members

First "Rambo" film is brilliant because you can just see that kind of shit happening to people coming from back from Vietnam. Bit at the beginning when he comes to see his friend just kicks you in the heart, Everybody forgets that "Rambo" was a book first. Brilliant overall. Think I've got a few VHSs of it, a DVD version and the very sparse Blu Ray edition. Might prefer it over "Rocky"

• Paid Members

The first Rambo film is great, I've shown it to a couple of people who have been surprised how low key and serious it is, he's not that muscular and he even acts in it. Speaking of Sly acting he was great in Copland from what I remember, he didn't do any more roles like that and died off a bit until the Rocky and Rambo comebacks.

He does look grotesque now though, I was watching one of the Expendables sequels the other day and his ancient veiny, droopy, bulging countenance was a sight to behold.

• Paid Members

Copland is one of his greatest. He got fat for the film, ffs! Plus, it features two great scenes featuring Springsteen classics.

Mid-80s Stallone is maybe the greatest physique ever. Not freakish huge like Arnie, but still big and completely shredded. 

Cobra is brilliantly bad too.

Archived