Your Favourite Cage Match Ever

Liam O'Rourke

• Paid Members

I agree with you. Some people hate the escape finishes, arguing the whole point of the cage is that it keeps the wrestlers locked in to destroy eachother and get a garantueed winner. I think it's a fair point however I just think the guys trying to escape adds so much more and can lead to really creative spots and finishes.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No-one mentioned the LAX v 3D Electrified Cage match yet? Can't think why not!

I do remember a match between LAX and Styles / Daniels in a cage (Google suggests BFG '06) that was exceptionally good, but not watched it since so it may be the mind playing tricks!

if we're talking TNA, can't ignore AMW x XXX in 2004. Massive match for the company with one of the craziest spots you could ever hope to see from Primetime

I remember that match, they had an amazing series of matches, probably my favourite ever matches from TNA.

Agreed - I think the cage match was the best of the lot. Might have a look at it again later and see if it's as good as I remember!

In all honesty probably one of TNAs Lethal Lockdown matches. Lockdown gets a lot of flak for over-exposing the cage match (and rightfully so) but I always loved those multi man plunder matches.

They were basically Hell in a Cell meets Wargames (sort of) and featured a whole bunch of wrestlers I loved in a company that I was emotionally invested in.

If I had to pick one it would be Lethal Lockdown 2006, the one where AJ falls off some Scaffolding and puts James Storm through a table on top of the cell roof (I think that's 2006, right?)

In all honesty probably one of TNAs Lethal Lockdown matches. Lockdown gets a lot of flak for over-exposing the cage match (and rightfully so) but I always loved those multi man plunder matches.

They were basically Hell in a Cell meets Wargames (sort of) and featured a whole bunch of wrestlers I loved in a company that I was emotionally invested in.

If I had to pick one it would be Lethal Lockdown 2006, the one where AJ falls off some Scaffolding and puts James Storm through a table on top of the cell roof (I think that's 2006, right?)

There was a rumour that the idea for it to be all cage matches was actually a joke from Dusty Rhodes during a meeting that Dixie Carter took seriously without realising it was a joke. And yes, you're right. It was 2006. The first Lethal Lockdown to have the roof.

Hunter Hearse Helmsley vs Mankind at Summerslam 1997 springs to mind for me. Nothing spectacular, but great storytelling throughout the match and a great feel good end to a decent midcard fued. The elbow from Foley was a great throwback to the Superfly MSG splash too and I love the foot tapping at the end to the Dude Love theme.

Also this is the last time I can remember them using the far superior blue bar steel cage, so has a decent nostalgia value too.

• Moderators

I agree with you. Some people hate the escape finishes, arguing the whole point of the cage is that it keeps the wrestlers locked in to destroy eachother and get a garantueed winner. I think it's a fair point however I just think the guys trying to escape adds so much more and can lead to really creative spots and finishes.

That's why my pick for favourite traditional style cage match would be Bret / Owen. at Summerslam 94. They worked the escape stuff in to the story so well. It really is one of the only cage matches I've seen that makes proper sense.

• Paid Members

Also this is the last time I can remember them using the far superior blue bar steel cage, so has a decent nostalgia value too.

The bars were used again at Rebellion 99 and 2001... although the bars themselves were black and not blue, if that makes a difference.

Archived