Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

Speaking of whistles I got my suit out of the wardrobe the other day to see how it fit and if it needs a wash. I looked like a fucking child dressing up in his dad's clothes, because I have lost so much weight since the last time I wore it. Any recommendations of a decent place to buy one that's not a polyester number.

• Paid Members

Ā 

Don't think you can pull off the John Cena/Matrix look then?

Oi... sharp as a fuckin' tack me.

Ā 

I walked the red carpet once, at the Expendables III premier where I met Stallone and Statham and that lot? Did I ever tell you about that?Ā  Brilliant it was.Ā  Just wore my jeans and a t-shirt though, was no biggie.Ā  Pied Antonio Banderas on the way in an'all.

• Paid Members

What's morning suit - is that the traditional English wedding suit with the long coat and the funny tie?

Ā 

Edit: I have googled it - but I am interested to know what the term is specifically defined as.

People wear it with a cravat, but I'll wear it with a normal tie. Top hat probably not included

Speaking of whistles I got my suit out of the wardrobe the other day to see how it fit and if it needs a wash. I looked like a fucking child dressing up in his dad's clothes, because I have lost so much weight since the last time I wore it. Any recommendations of a decent place to buy one that's not a polyester number.

Do you have a good suit shop near you? I'd get trousers taken in than a new suit. I use Slaters menswear for my suits and they always give great service and can turnaround an alteration quite quickly

It's a shit show as far as shops near me. There's not even a Burton's or Moss Bros where I could get something half decent off the peg and I have to sort something out for a mate's wedding on the 6th of August. After checking the suit jacket with a long sleeve shirt on it is comically too big. I will have to go to either Plymouth or Exeter to get something.

• Paid Members

Nobody looks better in a suit than the Colonel. Nobody.

Ā 

When I lost a fair amount of mass, my old Tyler Durden leather jacket was swimming on my shoulders.

I washed it on a 2 hour heated wash and fucked it in my das tumble dryer on full pelt for 100 minutes.

Fitted like a pinky up a pipe afterwards.

Ā 

You can shrink your clobber yourself. Seriously, I've done it countless times to worn out of shape Cedarwood State/Penneys/Primarks shirts and my favourite Billabong t-shirt has pretty much been Christian Bale'd over the years.

• Paid Members

If you need a suit altered take it to your dry cleaners, not a suit shop. They'll do it just as well and it's always cheaper.

Ā 

Do you just ask them? I've got a couple of blazers that I really like that are a size too big and thus I have never worn.