Doomed anecdotal megathread #2

Sergio Mendacious

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Didn't know where to put this but in case anyone wants to see something cool; there's going to be a blood moon eclipse tomorrow, it should beĀ visible between 20:50 and midnight, it will be at its apex at 21:20.

That's a yearly thing right?

Eh, I'll catch it next time.

• Paid Members

Our today and noticed that some shops have a system where those who are disabled or less able to stand in long queues get to jump to the front. Which is fine. Except it turns out pregnant women get this same treatment.

Now, I understand that being about ready to pop must be very uncomfortable, but is it really on that a pregnant lady gets to jump (a massive) queue? My leg where I had my surgery fucking kills after a few hours walking about, but I wouldn't even dream of going to the queue jumping area. I don't know. Perhaps I should just should be a bit more understanding. It just kind of annoyed me in the.moment.

Although one benefit of this is that I can bring back my standup bit about Baby on BoardĀ  badges on public transport and add this into it!

Edited by SpursRiot2012

• Moderators

No offence intended, but a lack of understanding is a theme of yours over the past couple of months. Everyone isn't you, people have their own foibles but areĀ to be taken on an individual basis. Think the best of them

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

No offence intended, but a lack of understanding is a theme of yours over the past couple of months. Everyone isn't you, people have their own foibles but areĀ to be taken on an individual basis. Think the best of them

Huh. Genuinely interested in what makes you say that? I hadn't noticed myself exhibiting a lack of understanding in recent months. Any particular instances you could point me towards?

I agree with the second part entirely though.

• Moderators

All countryside people are massive racists was a massive one, and raving against people that voted Brexit for more than a few months now. It's understanding why people went that way rather than kicking off like a Centrist Dad. Look at it from an anthropological point of view.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

All countryside people are massive racists was a massive one, and raving against people that voted Brexit for more than a few months now. It's understanding why people went that way rather than kicking off like a Centrist Dad. Look at it from an anthropological point of view.

I don't think I've mentioned Brexit at all recently. Initially following the vote, I was angry and it showed though.

The "all countryside people are massive racists" was said with a bit of tongue in cheek, although I was really basing it on the experiences I've had outside of London (admittedly, not in Wales), seeing people walking around with #FreeTommyRobinson tshirts, an unhealthy obsession with the Union Jack and people making snide and sometimes very open and incredibly hostile comments against my (London born) Asian girlfriend.

But I take your point and will try to be less judgemental in future.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Although one benefit of this is that I can bring back my standup bit about Baby on BoardĀ  badges on public transport and add thisļ»æļ»æļ»æļ»æ into it! ļ»æ

You've got me curious about this bit now... On the face of it that doesn't sound line something that's going to get the audience onside.

Being preggo almost obliterated my wife. She lost at least two stone during the first one. Sickness throughout the second one and struggled to eat or drink anything, plus looking after our then two year old. Add in the extra travails of lugging a 20lb bag on your tummy, I'd say they probably qualify for a queue jump.Ā 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Chest Rockwell said:

You've got me curious about this bit now... On the face of it that doesn't sound line something that's going to get the audience onside.

I was using when the Baby on Board badges first came out. The bare bones of it are something along the lines on, "I was on the tube the other day and saw SEVEN women in one tube carriage with these Baby on Board badges that nudge people to give up their seats. Now, I'm not saying there are women out there pretending to be pregnant just to get a seat on the tube, but shouldn't there be some sort of test? Perhaps peeing on a stick for a member of London Underground's staff before they get a badge? And anyway, it's not fair. My back hurts, my ankles swell, I have cravings for several different types of cheese. Where's my Fat Bastard on Board badge?! I want a seat too!"

That's what I can remember of it. It's much longer, with lots more tags, but I don't have the notebook with it in to hand. It was one of my earliest ever "bits" and tended to do quite well (killed at Angel Comedy every time I did it) because I'd gradually work myself up into a rage over the whole idea.

8 hours ago, SpursRiot2012 said:

Our today and noticed that some shops have a system where those who are disabled or less able to stand in long queues get to jump to the front. Which is fine. Except it turns out pregnant women get this same treatment.

Now, I understand that being about ready to pop must be very uncomfortable, but is it really on that a pregnant lady gets to jump (a massive) queue? My leg where I had my surgery fucking kills after a few hours walking about, but I wouldn't even dream of going to the queue jumping area. I don't know. Perhaps I should just should be a bit more understanding. It just kind of annoyed me in the.moment.

Although one benefit of this is that I can bring back my standup bit about Baby on BoardĀ  badges on public transport and add this into it!

This is a really, really shitty thing to say, and comes across as incredibly ignorant.Ā 

• Paid Members

I wasn't asking the thread to be shut down because of any issue with anything anyone said but simply because we should destroy megathreads.

Also, yes, I could not disagree with youĀ more when it comes to pregnant women and queues. They should get number one priority even over most disabled people. I don't see why anybody would have any objection to this.