Brand Split II - Confirmed

seph

Im thinking Bayley has to get called up. If not what has she got to do to make it.

Beat/fight Asuka at the next Takeover show.

If they choose not to bring up Joe, Nakamura, Bayley or Asuka in the draft, then I think the explanation will be that they have to fulfil their title match obligations first in NXT.

Its kind of a shame that Regal hasn't been involved with this somehow, acting as a gatekeeper to nxt talent and only allowing nxt draftings to those who he deems ready to be promoted, whilst simultaneously protecting the brands integrity.

I reckon you'd get a great storyline reason,for example, as to why Samoa Joe isn't called up. Regal wants his talent to grow, but can't afford to let everyone go at the same time. Plus it would piss off Joe whilst also furthering the Joe / Regal tensions.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There's a list of what are apparently the 6 NXT draftees going around on Twitter. Is it safe to post it without spoiler tags, as it hasn't actually happened yet?

Spoiler tag it in case, but do tell gadge, I can't find it on Twitter! Although I did see a 'curtain call' moment from an NXT live event over the weekend featuring five of their stars...

I am going to guess that the list he is talking about is:

Balor

Mojo Rawley

Carmella

Nia Jax

American Alpha

Alexa Bliss

So without saying too much, pretty much as you would expect.

This was the one. On my Android phone, anything technical on the forum is awkward at best.

Hello UKFF. I was posting this somewhere else and thought why not here as well. Basically I just spent my spare time in the nine days since Euro 2016 ended catching up on the last 5 weeks of RAW SmackDown, TNA and boxing that was on TV and their respective PPVs. Ignore why anyone would actually want to do that but watching WWE' s TV there are a few things they seem to be hinting at with the Draft.

Looking at the roster eligible for drafting WWE have posted I realised how few of the current roster I actually care about but I'm cautiously optimistic. In general I thought the smaller rosters worked well tn the past, SmackDown and WWECW always seemed to make things work no matter how little star power they had on paper, although I expect tonight to be way closer to the 2002 (Original) and 2008 Drafts than 2004, 2007 and 2010 in that respect. I was a supporter of the original Brand Extension back in the day, even well into it's run when SmackDown had been depleted of most of it's stars, so I'm in favour although I hope the angle that closed last week's Raw was a shoot as far as the bit about having different presentation/production values goes. I managed to avoid all spoilers on social media (the hard bit), haven't kept up with any wrestling news this year (haven't even read forums since WM 32) so this is all speculation.

People being separated:

I can see the Usos getting separated. Only half sure about them getting repackaged.

I've thought the Usos would be split if they did a Draft since before it was announced (back when they were hyping Shane/Taker for control of RAW). Just seems such a WWE thing to do.

I'm guessing one Uso gets totally repackaged and the other keeps a version of their current gimmick. One gets a push, the other stays about the same level they are at. Pure luck which one ends up benefiting from this.

That said, seeing the teams listed as single picks makes me wonder how they get there storyline-wise. Makes me think the plan was to split them and then someone changed their mind.

They've had both work decent length singles matches against top stars on SmackDown recently with Jimmy vs Styles and Jey vs Rollins so maybe that was a bit of a test for both. They even subtly teased a split in a Jey Uso/Seth Rollins promo where Seth joked about them always having family around and Jey emphasising he was alone that night.

On the other side of subtlety there are a few things they've been pretty vocal about seemingly every show.

The way they've built it, it seems a certainty Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn are heading to different shows but I wonder if that's to swerve us and they end up on the same brand. Personally, I'd separate them. keep them apart until the Royal Royal. Then have them enter 1 and 2. Then keep them apart for another year for the 2018 Rumble.

When they finally end up on the same Brand again in you have a storyline that feel a fresh but has been simmering in background for years.

New Day I'll get into in a second. I'd rather they were kept together (for now) but at least if they do split them they could make it mean something. It's rare they have a three man act working the Freebird Rules gimmick and it's never happened before at the time of a Draft so I can see possibility there.

There have been no hints of it on TV but this is the best chance they'll get to split The Dudleys without having to have them feud. Obviously a Bully Ray style solo run would give them a fresh heel they can use near the top of one brand. I could see Bubba getting a fun singles run and the return of Reverend D-Von as a little nod to the original 2002 Draft. Like the Usos I'm less sure now I see the team's being treated as a single "item".

Not a "team" but they spent weeks hinting at Maryse/Miz being drafted to different shows. So I was expecting an angle where that happens but leads to a trade after weeks of complaining from both. Now that are listed together I'm guessing it isn't happening.

I actually like the current dynamic of the Wyatts with the white sheep and black sheep as henchmen so I'd rather they left them alone and repackaged/pushed Rowan on the other brand.

Interesting that the Lucha Dragons pulled a Deuce and Domino and split before [/] the Draft.

Titles:

I totally called the finish last night's WWE Title Match, expect most people did. Predictable double-pin is still better than just awarding one brand's champ with the Big Gold Belt, I guess.

They've made such a big deal about how both women are people you can build a brand around that you have to imagine Charlotte and Sasha going to different shows. If that happens they could keep them apart until WrestleMania 33 or 34 then do a big Raw vs SmackDown match.

I have no idea whatether that leads to two sets of Women's Titles or one defended across both shows.

Miz and Rusev have to take their titles to different brands, surely.

Finally, with the Tag straps I could see one of the New Day being drafted to different brand takes tag title with them (where they would either be allowed to choose or randomly given a new partner) setting up valid Tag Titles on both Brands since the other two would keep the originals on the other Brand.

Draft Numbers:

Interested to see what number Cena is drafted. I don't actually think it will be first.

They have a good chance to create some simple storylines just based off the Draft gimmick itself.

The other thing I've noticed is Booker T. and JBL mention is how someone would feel about getting drafted lower than they think they deserve to be so I expect someone to turn heel based on the number they were picked.

If they are going to turn Reigns any time soon then that would be as good a way as anything: guy gets suspended, drops down order in Draft picks but thinks he should have been #1 Draft.

The six NXT picks is interesting. Haven't watched the show since it left Sky Sports so I don't know his current character (or what his current work is like) but surely Samoa Joe has to be one of them so they can do that "Champ is Here" feud with Cena everyone wanted a decade ago. It would be an interesting twist on Cena's current gimmick (the last few years) of "the guy who has workrate matches against Indie darlings" to have him do it against someone he broke in with.

Something I learned watching yesterday's RAW Pre-Showband is the Wild Card pic for someone who isn't regularly on the roster.

After Stephanie's line about there only being "one Game" last week I'm guessing Shane uses his Wild Card to pick Triple H to stick it to his sister and set up a match at SummerSlam (or Survivor Series if they can wait that long). I think Steph should pick The Rock.

Overall this is the most interested I've been in a big WWE angle since... probably since the last Brand Split fizzled out. I'm probably way off on at least half of this but I just wanted to get this in before the Draft.

yeah, it's an ambiguous one for sure. I just feel like WWE (writers) often just think to themselves "fuck it, demwans won't notice". But on the other hand I love little things like Shane ripping up choices because Raw got him/her first.

I hope they actually make a thing out of Heath not getting picked/not being wanted by anyone. (A real Social Outcast)

I think Eva was "NXT" in the same way Zack Ryder was/is. just somewhere for them to go while they're up to fuck all on the mains

• Paid Members

I hope they actually make a thing out of Heath not getting picked/not being wanted by anyone. (A real Social Outcast)

The way they ended the Network show, with Heath sitting in an empty room then someone turning the lights out, was pretty funny IMO.

yeah, it's an ambiguous one for sure. I just feel like WWE (writers) often just think to themselves "fuck it, demwans won't notice". But on the other hand I love little things like Shane ripping up choices because Raw got him/her first.

He has on twitter so far, and something on wwe.com. Maybe a summer tour wresting elsewhere

He has on twitter so far, and something on wwe.com. Maybe a summer tour wresting elsewhere

Late entrant into CWC?

WWE.com have done a "What's next for Heath" article suggesting he could head to EVOLVE or a even British indie company

http://www.wwe.com/article/after-not-being-drafted-whats-next-for-heath-slater

• Paid Members

My only annoyance thus far is that the sets/stage still look the same

Firstly, I wouldn't get your hopes up. It's a matter of convenience for everyone involved over the unquantifiable effect of sets for different shows.

Secondly, they've not actually done a show to judge yet. We had a draft Tuesday and a joint PPV on Sunday. So next week's Raw is the first single brand.

Archived