Football Manager Bants

martinQblank

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's harder to master (you've got to piss around with tactics all the time), but once you get the hang of it it's fairly decent. If you're not Barcelona I suggest playing ultra defensive most games.

I agree it's not nearly as enjoyable as the last two, which I felt were a return to form.

• Paid Members

FM16? I'm just nipping to local post office to pick up a postal order to pay for the next turn in Deva City's quest to win Einnek League 34.

I used to do Play By Mail. Fucking awesome stuff. Waiting two weeks for two Everton results!

I bought Football Manager Touch this year and it's an enjoyable game. I do find it difficult though. Seem to get little out of players who should be far better, even if I fiddle with their roles to ones that really suit them. I scraped promotion with Rangers, signed a load of good Championship players on frees, but I'm second bottom of the SPL and can't buy a result. Morale dipped badly after a couple of bad results and now I'm just fucked if I know what to do.

• Paid Members

I used to do Play By Mail.

Ok, NOW we're talking. Forget what I said about CM02, Play By Mail is the real shit.

Which one did you do? I honestly can't remember which one I did (it wasn't TOTT), but I think my team was Auxerre. I had Viktor Onopko as my commanding captain at the back and I can't for the life of me remember who my star midfielder/striker was. I have a feeling it was one of the Swiss internationals, Turkilmaz or someone like that. Might've been Sforza.

The rest of my team was really shit, though. I was only young, and I was worried that my money might fall out of the envelope when sending off my 'turn', so I'd write- in block capital letters- 'CAREFUL- CONTAINS MONEY' on the envelope. What a dick.

I was kicked out for not paying to play for a few turns, which no doubt is because I was inadvertently supplementing the postie's early morning bacon sarnie habit instead.

Actually ringing random strangers up to sort out transfer deals. Loved PBM, the excitement of getting it in the post every week was unreal, extra bonus if postie delivered before you left for school.

"hello, is Tom there"

"no he's out with his mates, who is this?"

"oh I manage Wrexham, if I leave my number can you get him to ring me, really need Viorel Moldovan, thanks"

What on earth is this Play By Mail thing? What have I been missing in my life?

I think FM 13 or 14 was my last favourite and had so many wonderkids coming through my system/scouting team that it was a joy to behold blooding them into my squad, all whilst selling the higher end players around 28-29 at a high premium. 

PBM were games played through post. Companies would run leagues most using real life teams/players. You would become a manager of a team and would receive about 10-12 sheet of paper, very detailed squads stats, league tables, transfer lists...pretty much everything you'd find on your regular management computer games.

Each turn (1-2 weeks) you would fill in your squad sheet, starting XI, tactics, transfer bids/deals etc and send to the games master who would, using a super computer!?, generate results. Oh don't forget your turn fee, usually £2 via cash, cheque or postal order.

Each turn was one league game and maybe a cup game, so it was practically real time. Although for impatient young teenage lads it was a lifetime

You would be playing against real people, and some PBMs sold contact lists, where you could ring each other up and set up transfer deals.

Footy mags would have loads of different games to choose from in their classifieds.

PBMs were available in other sports too, including chess?!

Edit. Also, the worse thing was taking over another manager. You'd be made up to find Manchester United was available only to get squad and find it had been torn apart because someone likely had United along with another side and created one super team.

Archived