Football Manager Bants

martinQblank

I still wish they had a chairman/owner mode (I would say separate game but not sure if it would sell?) where you can actually try and get sponsorships, build new stadiums, maybe go on tour and earn money for the club or even intervene and try secure a top top signing, and of course investing money into a club.

Most may find that boring but think it would be cool myself.

I'm sure Premier Manager had something where you could choose a sponsorship or something?

There's a rather good little game called Football Chairman for phones. You create your own club so it won't be recognisable players but if you make enough money I believe you can buy real sides. But pretty much everything else you mentioned is in there so it's well worth a look.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got FM15 back, so I've downloaded a database that activates the English pyramid down to level nine. After much deliberation, I chose to manage Durham City. Turns out it's quite the challenge from the start.

So when I went to check my new squad, I found they had only five players. In addition to this, my wage limit was set to a measly £434 per week. The aforementioned five players, plus the handful of staff, meant that £350 of the wage budget was already used up. And I had two months before the first league game in which to build an entire squad.

My first attempt was to find a senior affiliate. I convinced the chairman (who just so happens to be former Newcastle United defender Olivier Bernard) to search for one, but that came up fruitless. So I'd have to find some loanees myself, I guess? Or not, because attempt was immediately snubbed on account of their club wanting them to play with "higher quality team-mates". So instead, I had to hunt through the free transfer lists searching for the needles in the haystack who would accept amateur contracts. I managed to shift two of the five contracted players, whilst bringing in eight free agents on amateur deals. As some very, very poor backup, I offered contracts to one greyed-out U21 player in every position, and now I have a squad of 22 consisting of 11 half-decent players and 11 abysmal reserves. The three players remaining from the start of the game are the only three players on wages. This, in addition to releasing my entire staff, finding an okay-but-cheap assistant manager who is also being utilised as a coach and a head of youth development, and signing a solitary physio, means I've managed to bring the used wages down to £204 a week.

Phew! Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far.

Gave up with FM after 08, when I ended up spending more time doing pre post and whatever media interviews than actually sorting out the game tactics. The one bug, which has now been fixed according to mates is that on day one, of any new game, you can pretty much sign anyone sans cheat/trainer/editor. I signed Messi for Blue Square Premier Weston Super Mare, because I could. by offering a contract he wouldnt accept but took it anyway..

Over powered Belgian's, Brazilians and some back up strikers for Leicester, ruined it, you could build a decent team for peanuts and go from BSN to Prem with a team costing the grand total of naff all.

LMA by codies had the balance just about right, however teams had 'caps' no matter how successful or much money you had meaning you could never sign the world's best players.. Bah!

• Paid Members

I'm still playing 2014. I'm in no hurry to update either. It always used to take me ages to adjust to a new game and there's no new features that really appeal to me.

My most recent game is with Torrense, a team from the lowest tier in Portuguese Football. When I took over the club was in financial trouble so I had to let most of my best players go and rely on youth players and the occasional half decent bosman. That still didn't sort the financial troubles though, and my first four seasons were a frustrating struggle to hold onto anybody with a good bit of potential.

Despite that, and being tipped to finish bottom of the League every single season, I've eventually managed to get Promoted to the Premier, and even qualified for a Europa League spot (where I got pumped out.quick sharpish by Villarreal). One thing that is frustrating is that while my reputation has changed, it doesn't really seem to have a noticeable difference.I mean, I'd have happily fucked off to another club when I was still getting my budget cut after I got promoted to the Second Division, but the only team that's came in for me was Queen of the South, who had a worse squad, a smaller stadium and a far worse youth system. Even Clubs in League 1 in England would openly laugh off my applications. The whole point of starting this game was to start unemployed and try and work my way up to the likes of Barca, Real Madrid, etc. It's going to take forever at this rate.

Archived