Football Manager Bants

martinQblank

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still playing FM07, mainly cos I've been at Crewe for 10 seasons and just won the Uefa Cup! Tried FM14 and found it far too detailed for me.

Took ages to get through one match, and tactical options made my head hurt. Can only imagine the latest FM has advanced even further from there.

Did PBM back in the 90's, saw an ad in the Kop fanzine my da used to buy.

FM15 was a weird one. I had a custom database which unlocked the French pyramid right down to the regional leagues. I started with Racing Paris - a former heavyweight now in the "Ligue de Paris ÃŽle-de-France", which is a sixth-level league. I actually won every consecutive league at a canter up to Ligue 1, where it only took about three or four seasons to overtake Paris Saint-Germain and win the title. I even had two players from my first league game with them in the amateur leagues in my matchday squads for Champions League games ten or so years later.

Is FM15 just that plain easy? I did wonder if the fact that I had leagues unlocked by mods screwed the system up somehow - the three unlocked leagues all had a league rating of 1, and were entirely amateur. I did wonder if that rendered those teams simply unable to cope with any human-controlled clubs, and by the time I began facing competitive sides a few seasons in, my high tactical compatibility and focus on youth players kept the momentum going?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

If you enjoy choosing between the same 10 options in a press conference over and fucking over again then it's the game for you. Also be prepared to win 5-0 on a Sunday then get pumped 7-0 on the Wednesday.

The game's a shit stained shadow of its former self.

I've given the latest version a go again lately and have quite enjoyed it. 

Do agree with the press conferences though but the transfer window shipping people in and out was good fun, always love the first transfer window or two when you just have a massive clear out and make it your own squad. 

• Paid Members

The most recent is the worst I can recall, which is a shame, because I quite liked the last couple of ones.

16 is dull and incredibly cumbersome and your actions seem to have almost no bearing on what your team actually do. I seem to spend most of my time howling in impotent rage and going beet red like a less Northern Mike Bassett as Gabriel Barbosa shits another one down the wing after I asked him not to.

Archived