Football Manager Bants

martinQblank

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's all about squad morale. I finally managed to avoid losing 7-2 in every away game by constantly massaging the egos of the pampered millionaires. It's fucking arduous. Transfers are a ball ache as well. They wont accept £12m cash upfront but £13m spread across appearances, caps and hoals scored is fine. Can some times get a good player cheap by offering a silly money clause that only kicks in at 50 goals. Just make sure it's a defender.

• Paid Members

I think the primary mistake by the designers was deciding to make the game absolutely no fun at all. I don't want to wank around doing the same press conference 95 times and telling Eden Hazard what a good boy he is because he scored a brace against Rushden Diamond's. This whole 'play classic if you don't want the full experience' line is a load of shite too. I want the full experience, I just don't want it to be like watching repeats of Strike it Rich round my Grans house.

Really the newer FM's are more truth to life, meaning you get bogged down in the small details of the day by day running of a club. I think if you start out as a smaller club that would be more realistic, but once you go higher up the echelon usually the assistant manager would deal with things like training etc., you'd have a team around you checking out pro zone stats and stuff and advising you, the board telling you who to buy and sell or acting upon your behalf. The press conferences and other stuff does get tedious fast, so maybe they need an auto-pilot type option where that's all down for you, but the whole point I think is for someone to experience what it's like to step into the shoes of a real Football Manager. Most recent one I've played and have a long running save in is '08 which I think got the balance just right. 

I loved playing PBM's in the 90's. I ended up with Bristol Rovers the first time i did it, i had more excitement waiting for the postman and opening the envelope than playing modern FM.

I still play championship manager 93/94 occasionally, Nil Lamptey from Aston Villa is a beast.

Has anyone else tried the 70's and 80's versions of championship manager you can get on the apple store? They're not bad for what they are and it's nice to sign a young Maradona and/or Lineker and just hammer everyone. 

• Paid Members

I've just looked it up. Sounds good, but I bet it's terrible if it's using the makers of the new Championship Manager instead of Football Manager.

ADDED: Sounds like "CM All Stars", which was rumoured in about 1999 too.

I think the primary mistake by the designers was deciding to make the game absolutely no fun at all. I don't want to wank around doing the same press conference 95 times and telling Eden Hazard what a good boy he is because he scored a brace against Rushden Diamond's. This whole 'play classic if you don't want the full experience' line is a load of shite too. I want the full experience, I just don't want it to be like watching repeats of Strike it Rich round my Grans house.

I love reading about how newer versions of the game turn people off. I mean, CM/FM always blurred the lines a bit between fun games/blood pressure issues, but I think they've crossed a line recently. But then, how much of that is people getting older and having less time on their hands? It was one thing to waste days of your life at Uni on it, but when those days are gone, the 30 mins you get to play a game every so often isn't going to get you far.

Having said that, I tried playing the CM9798 version that's been "updated", but the utter cretins that maintain the database added "Football Club" the name of every team and I just couldn't deal with it. "Barcelona Football Club have signed..." "Brazil U21 Football Club have signed..."* It's bad enough when pundits insist on saying it.

*In an edited version a friend and I played many years ago, we messed up the number of teams in the league, which led to Brazil U21 competing in the league cup.

• Paid Members

CM 01-02 had the balance right. Most of the versions from CM2 to Football Manager 2005 had the balance right. I remember quite liking Football Manager 2007 though. After that, it went a bitty nutty and cumbersome.

I still wish they had a chairman/owner mode (I would say separate game but not sure if it would sell?) where you can actually try and get sponsorships, build new stadiums, maybe go on tour and earn money for the club or even intervene and try secure a top top signing, and of course investing money into a club. 

Most may find that boring but think it would be cool myself. 

I'm sure Premier Manager had something where you could choose a sponsorship or something? 

Archived