The UK MMA Promotions Thread: BAMMA, Cage Warriors, ETC

seanz25

I think I've seen Paddy 3 times now - 2 defeats and a very lucky split decision win that he wouldn't have got anywhere outside of Liverpool. I'm not impressed but he's young with time to get better.

I thought the lad from Grimbsy lower down the card looked more of a prospect. Joe or Jack Grant I think it was....Remember the name!

• Paid Members

Missed the show but read up.

Pimblett definitely has ability, hes has that weird skillset where he has a chance to catch pretty much anyone because hes unorthodox and will throw up some crazy shit, he just seems to struggle when fights go long and he doesnt catch guys. Its easy to see why he got excited Saturday, home crowd, 1st round having a choke sunk in i'd imagine all but the most experienced fighters would have gone all in on that kind of thing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Heads up, Cage Warriors 97 is on BT Sports tomorrow night.

ShoreTwitter-1024x576.jpg

Biggest night of MMA ever held in Wales. They've sold out the Ice Arena in Cardiff which is pretty cool, and its a testament to the buzz and fanbase surrounding Jack Shore in the main event. He's fighting for the vacant 135lb title, should be some atmosphere.

Card here...

https://cagewarriors.com/cage-warriors-97-september-29th-cardiff/

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

thought this deserved a bump before Saturday...

As mentioned in the 'are you still a hardcore...' thread, certain MMA shows you just have to let go given the schedule. One which has suffered for me is Cage Warriors, ive missed a few in a row which isnt good because i like to stay up to date on the UK scene. I wont be missing this one though cause im going to the fucker. Got me some decent tiered seating so it should be good. Im seeing this as my entry back in.

Flags-1024x576.jpg

Jack Shore vs Scott Malone CW Bantamweight World Title

Tom Watson vs. Aaron Khalid

Mason Jones vs. Donovan Desmae

Corey McKenna vs. Fannie Redman

Jamie Richards vs. Phil Wells

Top 3 fights have my interest. Shore is the best prospect in Welsh MMA, a UFC call may come with a win. Tom fucking Watson returns! Never in a dull fight, and im hearing good things about Mason Jones, i know a couple of boys who train with him and he's a bit of a beast by all accounts. Looking forward to it.

I do love how Cage Warriors makes the most of the location they are in rather than ramming the show full of random fighters, this is Welsh heavy so im expecting a great atmosphere. Show is live on Fight Pass.

• Paid Members

Hahaha, saw that too. I looked her up, and she is yet another who doesn't help to dispel the stereotype that Swedish women are hot:

5173809-x768.jpg

She's 3-0 amateur, 1-0 pro. If she does well, she'll be a marketer's dream.

I don't keep up with UK MMA. 

However, upon looking up Tom Watson's age (he's 36), I came to learn that the BAMMA promotion was recently put on indefinite hiatus and is now defunct. This article covers BAMMA's 10 year history - https://leedstrinity.shorthandstories.com/the-death-of-bamma/index.html

But never fear lads, David O'Donnell's UKMMA promotion is still active.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah she’s nice. I googled the name as well. I was half expecting a man because the opponent is called Corey. Imagine getting your arse kicked by a man called Fannie? 

True. I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of a Fannie battering.

12 minutes ago, jimufctna24 said:

I don't keep up with UK MMA. 

However, upon looking up Tom Watson's age (he's 36), I came to learn that the BAMMA promotion was recently put on indefinite hiatus and is now defunct. This article covers BAMMA's 10 year history - https://leedstrinity.shorthandstories.com/the-death-of-bamma/index.html

But never fear lads, David O'Donnell's UKMMA promotion is still active.

UCMMA, no?

BAMMA was always a better name, just sounded perfectly onomatopoeic.

• Paid Members

Yeh, O'Donnell is still plugging away. Believe he always runs the Troxy in London so he probably has a built in London fanbase and caters for those guys because i dont see his shows advertised, promoted or reported on anywhere.

BAMMA basically bled into Bellator didnt it? All the top BAMMA fighters had their contracts picked up for Bellator's european expansion. They had a good run though, there was a very short where BAMMA was the most exciting up and coming promotion in MMA, when guys like Marquadt signed i thought it may go on to be a real recognised and respected MMA brand on a world level, it sort of fizzled out, yet had bright spots after that but overall it never really delivered.

Tell you what, we've all shit on Dave O'Donnell at some point, but the guy is still going strong. Started Cage Rage 17 years ago back when Caol Uno, Phil Baroni and Tim Sylvia were tearing it up in the UFC. 

A look at the guys he had fighting in Cage Rage is a who's who of MMA over the years. Bisping, Belfort, Paul Daley, Manhoef, Shaolin Ribeiro, Anderson Silva, Tank Abbott, Ninja Rua, Ken Shamrock, Mark Kerr, Lee Murray, Matt Lindland, Phil Baroni, Dan Severn.

Then when EliteXC and Cage Rage went down the pan the fucker didn't miss a beat. Finished up with Cage Rage 28, and kickstarted UCMMA at the venue on the date that Cage rage 29 was supposed to take place.

There's obviously less choice of "name" fighters these days following the UFC's expansion and Bellator etc, but he's still managed to book the likes of MVP, Jimi Manuwa, James McSweeney, Tom Watson, Paul Kelly, Alex Reid and so on.

The longest-serving most successful British MMA promoter of all time? There's a real possibility of that being the case. If he's not alone at the top of that pile then he's in the mix.

Credit where it's due.