McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

Any chance we can change the title of this thread now? He's not retiring.

I'm not trying to have a go, but why does it matter?  It'd be a nice thread to revisit in the future which has real-time updates on the subject of his teased retirement.  Nowt wrong with the thread title, really.

I'm not trying to have a go, but why does it matter?  It'd be a nice thread to revisit in the future which has real-time updates on the subject of his teased retirement.  Nowt wrong with the thread title, really.

Because it's no doubt going to continue along as a general Conor thread in the future, isn't it? The truth was that he was never, ever going to retire, so it ended up as a non-story.

• Paid Members

Yeah, ask Butch. It was a temporary title anyway, and all the posts were pulled from the general MMA thread on the old forum.

McGregor has brought in a BJJ named Dillion Danis to help him train for UFC 202. Seems that Danis is highly touted in the BJJ community - http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/dillon-danis

Even with the hoopla surrounding the UFC 200 bill, it's the McGregor vs Diaz rematch that I'm most looking forward to. Lesnar is going to bring one hell of a spectacle, and he's involved in a fascinating match-up, but McGregor is much more relevant to the sport in 2016. 

McGregor has brought in a BJJ named Dillion Danis to help him train for UFC 202. Seems that Danis is highly touted in the BJJ community - http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/dillon-danis

Even with the hoopla surrounding the UFC 200 bill, it's the McGregor vs Diaz rematch that I'm most looking forward to. Lesnar is going to bring one hell of a spectacle, and he's involved in a fascinating match-up, but McGregor is much more relevant to the sport in 2016.

He is more relevant, but I'm kind of getting fed up with him pissing about at 170lbs, where he's not relevant.

I want this fight over & done with so we see him at either 145lbs defending his belt, or getting involved in the mix at 155lbs. The jumping two weight classes was a novelty that wore off after he got taken apart by someone who's simply too big for him to deal with.

In terms of interest, McGregor has entered Mayweather and Pacquiao territory for me. I don't really care which weightclass he fights in. Him fighting alone is enough of a spectacle to warrant my interest. Obviously though, the match-up has to be intriguing. 

• Paid Members

Yep, it's fucking nonsense, especially as Mcgregor has already said he's coming into the fight lean and light. My guess is he will weigh in 5llbs lighter than he did in the first fight which essentially is what he would have been doing at 155llbs.

Then when he decides to officially go to 155 he can say (as long as he wins) that he's got a win under his belt in that division.

I understand why he's doing it as he wants to beat Diaz under the same rules and regs that were set in the first fight, but it's just fucking annoying. 

Edit:- That's a good point Jim. I'm not sure Mcgregor cares about weight classes anymore. He's always gone on about challenges. 

Edited by lambyUK

In terms of interest, McGregor has entered Mayweather and Pacquiao territory for me. I don't really care which weightclass he fights in. Him fighting alone is enough of a spectacle to warrant my interest. Obviously though, the match-up has to be intriguing. 

Neither would I if this were boxing and a jump in weight class means an increase in six or seven pounds, but it doesn't. A jump from featherweight to welterweight is 25lbs. That's almost five weight classes apart in boxing terms.

He needs to sort his fucking head out, get down to 155lbs and start putting together a title run or go and defend his belt at 145lbs.

If he loses this fight to Diaz in similar (or worse) fashion then I can't help but think his credibility and appeal takes a dent. I don't care what folk say about his drawing power, all of the fucking about with UFC 200, being on the card, off the card, and two defeats in quite decisive fashion will hurt him.

Edited by David