Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• 2 weeks later...

Someone on Sherdog kindly translated a recent interview with Fedor's striking coach.

Some very interesting information:

This dude has been with Fedor nearly since the beginning alongside Voronov

The most useful bits that I found, while listening to this interview, is his explanation for Fedor's lack of ground game in the latter fights of his career. Basically, he says it's due to his numerous injuries (his back being a big one). He'd often skip certain ground game training sessions because of his injuries and focus on his stand-up instead.

Another interesting thing is how .... unwilling Fedor is to ever discuss/disclose his injuries even with his coaches. While in beginning it was easy enough to figure out when Fedor was injured... later, Mitchkov figured things out not because Fedor would say he had pain in this or that part of his body, but rather by noticing that when his coaches would offer him a bunch of training sessions, he'd simply say that can't do this or that without any further explanation. It's pretty surreal that he wouldn't talk to his coaches, so that they could try to work around his injuries, but there it is. It also puts Fedor's responses during interviews in a very different light - he ain't gonna share any details, no matter how hard you drill him.

Anyways, this helps to explain how Fedor devolved from the best all around fighter into a one dimensional one.

Edit:
Since some people mentioned the Bader fight - Mitchkov says Fedor was really sick for about a week just prior to the Bader fight. People tried to talk him into dropping out of the fight, but he insisted on fighting. Mitchkov says that most of the things he's picked up in the training camp just prior to the fight were all gone due to the illness.

A few other bits - Fedor never watched his opponent's fights prior, during, or after his training - he expected his coaches to do it for him. Mitchkov has never seen any other fighter who would opt out of watching the opponent fights. He's also never seen any fighter as calm as Fedor prior to his fights. The one fight Fedor was visibly excited about, when it was booked, was the Crocop fight (after Crocop KO'd his brother).

Another thing i wanted to mention - watching russian mma youtube interviews is a wonderful experience - they timestamp every question so that viewers wouldn't be wasting their time. Western counterparts with their clickbait titles could learn a LOT from these journalists. Greed and lack of respect for viewers is a vile thing.

Source - https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/an-interview-with-fedors-striking-coach.4156012/

Edited by jimufctna24

• 2 weeks later...

Amosov vs Storley won Bloody Elbow's award for best wrestling-heavy fight of 2020 - https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2021/1/7/22218979/2020-wrestling-for-mma-awards-khabib-nurmagomedov-madsen-amosov-takedowns-technique

"I can say I saw this one coming. Heading into welterweight prospect Yaroslav Amosov’s clash with fellow undefeated fighter Logan Storley, I wrote Amosov’s brilliant wrestling performance vs. three-time NCAA champion Ed Ruth.

I believed that four-time All-American Logan Storley’s wrestling game had been better adapted for MMA, and that he would give Amosov and even stiffer challenge than his more credentialed counterpart. As predicted, Amosov and Storley went to war on the mats, both men refusing to let their game be denied. Storley never stopped attacking, wrestling through exhaustion and showing the kind of savvy and composure that only a lifetime of wrestling can provide. Amosov stayed solid fundamentally, attacking the wrists, hiding his hips, and flowing through positions to keep the fight moving against his toughest opponent yet.

For a wrestling fan, the fight was an absolute masterpiece, deserving of the unofficial title, “Wrestliest Fight of the Year”.

It was easily one of my favourite fights of 2020 as well. Certainly the best in Bellator, with the exception of Mix vs Archuleta.

14 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Shit, thats a way off. Thought we may get a show toward the end of Feb.

Aye, they were initially rumoured to be returning in late February. 

Fuck knows what is going on. 

Still, the shows in April should be stacked. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
On 2/3/2021 at 11:54 PM, jimufctna24 said:

They are holding a press conference on February 9th - https://www.instagram.com/p/CK2U39GjW16/?utm_source=ig_embed

I'm going to guess that they will announce that they are back in early April and that they are doing a LHW GP.

Yep.

DEB4CED6-A60F-4B55-B91B-0D72B86DDF0F.jpeg

News from today's press conference:

- Bellator is moving to Showtime in the US. They will run on Friday nights from now on.

- Announcement on Thursday about European distribution. 

- They re-launch on April 2nd with a card headlined by Pitbull vs Sanchez 2. Winner fights McKee over the summer. 

- LHW GP confirmed. 8 man tournament, with two opening round fights on the April 9th show and two opening round fights on the April 16th show. 

- Juan Archuleta vs Sergio Pettis confirmed for May. 

- They are planning on running twice a month for the rest of the year. 

- Mauro is back! Up yours @wandshogun09and @WeeAl 

• Paid Members

Mauro being back is fantastic news. Not everyones cup of tea but he's mine.

Showtime consistently had the best announce team in boxing, wonder if they'll bin off Big John and Thomson and do their own thing 🤞🏻

bit gutted they've moved to Friday though, that Thursday slot suited me nicely.

Shaping up!