Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Man, within a few days Bellator’s 205 division just got a lot more interesting. I love watching Nemkov but defences against the likes of Corey Anderson and Phil Davis weren’t getting my juices flowing too much. A rematch with Bader was probably the most interesting option up until last week. Fast forward a few days and now we’ve got Rumble and Yoel in the mix! A round robin of Nemkov, Rumble and Yoel all fighting each other sounds good to me. 

They’d have been mad not too sign Yoel, even despite his age. He’s hardly a broken down Randy Savage who can’t take bumps anymore coming to TNA in 2004. Yoel is still a quality fighter who’s been hanging at the highest levels in the UFC and even some of his losses were questionable. He’s also a popular fighter. They’re going to get people tuning in to his Bellator debut who might not have watched Bellator before.

I’m chuffed with this to be honest. I’d rather he was still in the UFC but since we can’t have that, Bellator is where I wanted to see him. And thinking about it, there weren’t that many fresh fights left for him in the UFC anyway. I’d have tracked his fights down wherever he ended up but if he landed in ONE, PFL or even Rizin it would’ve been a bit cack as there’s nobody really interesting for him to fight there. Yoel is one of my favourite fighters in the sport so I’m just happy he’s going somewhere that enables me to just set the shows to record on Sky Sports. 

I wish Romero would have moved to light heavyweight a few years back. I think he would have wasted everyone in UFC's 205lbs division other than Jones.

Rumble is the obvious match-up for him in Bellator. I also wouldn't mind seeing him against Anglickas.  

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

A quick swatch at his records (16-8) suggests that he's either not elite level, or perhaps he's a Michel Pereira type, i.e. an exciting, high-level fighter with an unstable style who's lost more often than he should have from taking risks to be entertaining that didn't pay off.