Bellator MMA * General News Thread

Egg Shen

Main card for tomorrow's event:

Michael Chandler (155.9) vs. Benson Henderson (155.6)
Matt Mitrione (263.2) vs. Timothy Johnson (262.6)
Myles Jury (155.5) vs. Georgi Karakhanyan (155.5)
Curtis Millender (174) vs. Sabah Homasi (175)

Borics and Agazarm's fights are on the preliminary card. 

I'm rooting for Bendo and Johnson. 

• Paid Members

Hopefully Bader beats both of them, then goes back to Heavyweight and wrecks everyone again just for the craic. The new and improved Ryan Bader is one of the best things Bellator has going for it. 

• Paid Members

I’m not fully with the Bader love in. He’s always been a good fighter and he’s done very well since leaving the UFC. But I don’t know. You look at his current streak and he’s beat past it Fedor, a King Mo that’s been falling to bits for years, Meathead etc. It’s not a bad run by any stretch but I’m not convinced he’s improved that much. It’s a bit convenient how his improvement suddenly happened when he went over to Bellator for me. For all the shit the UFC’s Heavyweight and Light Heavyweight division gets for their lack of depth, Bellator’s are even worse. If Bader was still in the UFC now, nobody would give a fuck. Just like they didn’t for the 8 years he was there.

I know this post reads harsh. I don’t even dislike Bader, he seems a nice enough guy. And he’s not quite as boring these days as he was in the past. But again, is that because he’s been fighting beat up big names and mediocre at best Meatheads? As depressing as it is to admit, I wouldn’t fancy Fedor to beat Curtis Blaydes. Fuck me, I even have to concede that Greg Hardy might catch him these days and you know I loathe that prick. So yeah, Bader’s doing well. The move to Bellator was absolutely a good one. I assume he’s making similar or more money than he did in the UFC and he gets to be the top boy in Bellator. But I think sometimes fighters get praise from fans because they’re in Bellator and it’s cool to root for the underdogs. I get it but there’s a little bit of a big fish, small pond element to it for me. 

Not knocking Bellator by the way. I don’t follow it as much as some of you but I am a fan, especially of their divisions 170 and below. But being real, their Heavyweight and 205 divisions are shallow as fuck. 

45 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

You look at his current streak and he’s beat past it Fedor, a King Mo that’s been falling to bits for years, Meathead etc

He looked great against Kongo in his last bout. That may not sound like much, but few look good against Kongo. 

We will see how he does against Nemkov next week. 

47 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

But being real, their Heavyweight and 205 divisions are shallow as fuck. 

The top-end of their 205lbs division is actually quite strong. It has Bader, Davis, Nemkov and now Anderson. 

Their heavyweight division is shit though. As is their lightweight division. 

• Paid Members

Fair enough but Bader, Davis and Anderson all have that stench of ‘guys UFC didn’t try to keep’ on them. And I really like Davis as a personality. I like what I’ve seen of Nemkov. I mean, I get your point. All 4 of these guys are good. But again, the UFC’s 205 division gets shat on for being shallow. It’s still much stronger than this. Whack upper/middle of the pack UFC 205ers like Oezdemir, Spann and OSP in any other promotion and they’re instant top contenders or even champs.

What’s Mousasi doing? Wasn’t he on about going back up to 205 not that long ago? I wouldn’t fancy his chances against Bader just because of the style but it’d be something of interest to me at least. I can’t pretend I’m looking forward to stuff like Phil Davis vs Corey Anderson. 

• Paid Members
On 8/8/2020 at 6:46 PM, wandshogun09 said:

I’m not fully with the Bader love in. He’s always been a good fighter and he’s done very well since leaving the UFC. But I don’t know. You look at his current streak and he’s beat past it Fedor, a King Mo that’s been falling to bits for years, Meathead etc. 

Guess its the ease in which Bader has cut through people in Bellator that has people questioning just how good he is now. He was also 7-1 in his last 8 UFC fights against good guys too. It wasnt a case of Bader being on his way down when he left the UFC. The Nemkov fight is probably the best test he's had since he's left the UFC, im looking forward to it.

Edited by Egg Shen