Catching up on 2004 to 2014 WWE

Sym

Hi all,

As mentioned in Off topic, I'm back on the UKFF following a pretty much 12 year exodus having got a bit too busy to follow wrestling in my mid 20's and slowly drifting away. I can't remember he exact point I stopped watching but I feel like the last Wrestlemania I watched was 20.

With the advent of the Network in Australia I watched Wrestlemania 30 and was instantly hooked again and I've spent the last 18 months catching up to present time from there so essentially I'm looking at a gap of about 10 years between 2004 and 2014.

There's no way I'm going to be able to catch up on everything in that 10 year period so instead I've decided to just watch the PPV's between Wrestlemania 20 and 30 slowly as I watch the current product.

So my question is this, is this worthwhile? What are the best years during this period? Are there any particular Raw or Smackdown episodes I should be watching as I do this? I'm interested in seeing the big moments but obviously don't want to go through every Raw and Smackdown as I'll be at it for another 10 years. Is there anyone else in a similar boat?

It's good to be back!

Not sure it's worth watching every PPV. You'll get to Great American Bash '04 and wonder why you bothered.

When I get a chance, I'll post some moments or PPV that are worth checking out. Maybe someone will beat me to it.

I think the best year of tv WWE have ever had match quality wise was 2013. Basically everything with the Shield on it combined with Daniel Bryan's rise, the Wyatts getting better and the Usos really hot too.

That was the year Cody and Goldust turned into the greatest babyface team of all time too, right? Belter year for telly matches.

I think the best year of tv WWE have ever had match quality wise was 2013. Basically everything with the Shield on it combined with Daniel Bryan's rise, the Wyatts getting better and the Usos really hot too.

That was the year Cody and Goldust turned into the greatest babyface team of all time too, right? Belter year for telly matches.

Bloody hell, don't know how I forgot that! The tag division that year in general was ace and Goldust's comeback was ace, he kept busting out new stuff on a seemly weekly basis and moving like someone in his 20s, what a run!

In terms of character development and stories, though, the Shield did pretty much nothing in 2013 until the dissension storyline started around Survivor Series time.

I'm finding it a lot easier to come up with a list of matches than important moments/stories. In 2005, Cena getting drafted to Raw was a big one. The whole HHH/Batista run from January to Mania, and the match at Vengeance too. All the Michaels/Hogan stuff, their Backlash team-up and then HBK turning on him and building to their SummerSlam bout. The Smackdown vs Raw feud prior to Survivor Series that year was quite fun, especially when JBL found Boogeyman.

• Paid Members

I think the best year of tv WWE have ever had match quality wise was 2013. 

Its funny what caters to people's tastes. Match quality ranks pretty low in what I enjoy in my wrestling, for example, give me a 1998 brawl any day over a good technical match with 50/50 booking as you'll find much too often nowadays.

• Paid Members

I think the best year of tv WWE have ever had match quality wise was 2013.

Its funny what caters to people's tastes. Match quality ranks pretty low in what I enjoy in my wrestling, for example, give me a 1998 brawl any day over a good technical match with 50/50 booking as you'll find much too often nowadays.

Match quality will never rank low. It's just what makes a match good or great isn't an exact science. The build and the consequence are as important as the action. A 1998 brawl is a pretty terrible example though. 1998 is rewatchable for a ton of skits and interviews but the matches were often shite. Especially in the WWF. They didn't need to be long or technical matches but too many were just either going through the motions or incapable of producing anything better. That's why stuff like the Austin/Dude Love matches stand out as fantastic for 1998 when they'd be really, really average a couple of years later.

Archived