Rebooking the WWE in 2006

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Church on Tuesdays wasn't it?

That's what PS said in the early years of the roster split. Wasn't an issue when he and Hunter occasionally showed up on SmackDown in 09-10 so I have no qualms flopping him in 2006. He's a company man and he's getting a main event run on my watch.

• Paid Members

Bumping due to the podcast being out and without spoiling..... I think there's one elevation which is going to be a massively hard sell to some of the regulars here!

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/edjv6y/SCG_Radio_77_-_Rebooking_WWE_in_2006.mp3

Join us as we go back to 2006, looking at the roster to decide who to cut, call up, push, switch brands, and discuss the main directions through to WrestleMania 23 in 2007! Discussing all the moves WWE made instead, such as the return of ECW and DX, we also take your comments on what you felt needed to be done in place of what was a rather awful, regressive year. All that, and the announcement of the first SCG giveaway! A very fun show this week, check it out and let us know what you think!

• Paid Members

Just to say I'm loving the timelines.

I joined in Jan 98 while I was at the DIY yesterday and loved the two I listen to.

I'm thinking of digging up the old ones and going from the start, just fantastic stuff.

Shelton in New Japan I have no interest in. But in 2006 there were plenty of supporters, he wasn't complacent yet, and the audience wasn't burned out on him. Interesting thing about scanning the roster was looking at how this crop of guys, the "lost generation" of stars all have a mark against them that makes you go "maybe not", but that's no excuse for not trying when you need new stars. Its the frustrating thing about now to me - there probably more potential top talent underneath now than then, but less of a sense of urgency about needing to create them.

Shelton Benjamin was always terrible.

His skill set begun and ended with 'smug look + t-bone suplex'.

Absolutely useless, always looked awkward and was one of those people that you could tell felt entitled based solely on his 'athleticism'. Awkward, bumbling idiot that he was.

Shelton in New Japan I have no interest in. But in 2006 there were plenty of supporters, he wasn't complacent yet, and the audience wasn't burned out on him. Interesting thing about scanning the roster was looking at how this crop of guys, the "lost generation" of stars all have a mark against them that makes you go "maybe not", but that's no excuse for not trying when you need new stars. Its the frustrating thing about now to me - there probably more potential top talent underneath now than then, but less of a sense of urgency about needing to create them.

Totally agree with this.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing - especially in wrestling - and it's easy to see the flaws now, but at the time I would've been all for Shelton winning the World title. Saying that, I remember wanting him to form a tag team with Elix Skipper. I can't have been the only one. 

• Paid Members

Shelton in New Japan I have no interest in. But in 2006 there were plenty of supporters, he wasn't complacent yet, and the audience wasn't burned out on him.

I will say this, despite what I thought about Shelton in 2006 (which even then was slightly "they've missed the boat here") - seeing "Shelton X Benjamin" involved in a match basically guarantees it's going to be the drizzles. One of my worst memories of live wrestling ever is myself and TSVE heading to Ryogoku knowing he was going to beating fucking Nakamura in one of those predictable "G1 finals day upsets" where half the main eventers and upper midcarders lose to people beneath them to enable the two guys they need to top the groups to do so. We actually referred to his as Shelton "F star star Cunt" Benjamin because that win over Shinsuke enraged us so.

But yeah, in 04-05 Shelton was getting good reactions and had some tidy matches with Jericho, Christian and Shawn, and for a while I thought it was only lack of personality stopping him (now).

Archived