WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 2.0

TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
Had a bash on the Battlefield 3 co op with Loki. Immense fun, until we had to fly a chopper!

I loved Batterfield 3. Not as much as Bad Company 2 but still a lot.

It's the only thing I've had fun with on line.

I downloaded blood dragon. It's great fun. It's all a bit dark but the story seem great fun, a real laugh so far. I've also got MGS3 downloading, which I'll give a whirl.

• Paid Members

Yeah - I'm about 3 hours through at the minute - left Snow by Serah and wandering around. It's fun, and I like the tutorial bits - I found FF12 dropped me in it too quickly, I didn't understand what was going on, and I didn't like it.

I wasn't aware it was 15 hours, but *shrug* the story is quite interesting, and the battle system is better than I was expecting (still needlessly complex though, bring back FF9's battle system).

Yeah - I'm about 3 hours through at the minute - left Snow by Serah and wandering around. It's fun, and I like the tutorial bits - I found FF12 dropped me in it too quickly, I didn't understand what was going on, and I didn't like it.

I wasn't aware it was 15 hours, but *shrug* the story is quite interesting, and the battle system is better than I was expecting (still needlessly complex though, bring back FF9's battle system).

That's the thing with the battle system, the first 15 hours is all about getting you used to shifting paradigms, etc. so that by the time it opens up you've got all the know-how and experience to go forward. I enjoyed it, but I can see a non-FF fan getting bored by it.

If my pile of shame wasn't so high I'd go back to 13-2 again and play it through a second time; a good build up for the Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD versions and Lightning Returns later on this year.

Why on earth would you want to buy a HD remake of X-2? It was terrible.

X-2 is a fine game, it's not as good as X but it's fine. Plus, it comes bundled in with X on the PS3; it's only on the PSVita that you have to buy them seperately.

The linemen, these are the guys that sit to the wide left/right of of where the snap takes place? Basically in between the wide receivers and the main tacklers?

A few of questions which might help me a bit more.

1. During an offensive run a red arrow appears to basically show me the best direction to run from that particular play. On a pass there is usually one receiving player whose arrow is red, the rest are yellow (I think). Does that indicate that that player is the best person for me to pass to on this particular play?

2. During a pass, when is the best time to throw? I always have an idea in mind of who I'm going to throw too, and I know I have seconds to do it before I get pounced on. Is it the moment he changes the direction of his run? Or is it simply just going for when I think he is in enough space?

3. Last pass question. I know holding down the button longer will result in a harder more direct pass, and tapping will lob the pass. Is this more like normal football where the further away they are you're better off lobbing it forward rather than a harder direct pass? I have found on occasion that the passes get blocked quite early on when I'm throwing it harder down field.

4. What is an audible and when is the best time to use it?

5. Is the same method used on defence as they are on offence when trying to get past players (spinning, jumping, pushing away etc)? Basically so I can get past the first blocker and try to get to the QB.

• Paid Members
The linemen, these are the guys that sit to the wide left/right of of where the snap takes place? Basically in between the wide receivers and the main tacklers?

The 5 guys at the front, the middle lineman (Centre) snaps the ball to the QB right behind him.

1. During an offensive run a red arrow appears to basically show me the best direction to run from that particular play. On a pass there is usually one receiving player whose arrow is red, the rest are yellow (I think). Does that indicate that that player is the best person for me to pass to on this particular play?

The person the play has in mind, but you can throw to any of them if you think they can make a catch and get yards.

2. During a pass, when is the best time to throw? I always have an idea in mind of who I'm going to throw too, and I know I have seconds to do it before I get pounced on. Is it the moment he changes the direction of his run? Or is it simply just going for when I think he is in enough space?

Ideal time to pass is no more than 1 second sooner than when your intended target gets where he's supposed to go - if he turns (as you say) it's a good indicator.

3. Last pass question. I know holding down the button longer will result in a harder more direct pass, and tapping will lob the pass. Is this more like normal football where the further away they are you're better off lobbing it forward rather than a harder direct pass? I have found on occasion that the passes get blocked quite early on when I'm throwing it harder down field.

This seems to be new for Madden; in general the QB will toss it as hard as he can to get to the receiver and you don't want to be fiddling with power too often as turning the ball over will hurt you much more than in FIFA/PES/etc.

4. What is an audible and when is the best time to use it?

An immediate change of the called play, best used when A) you think / know the play you've chosen is going to fuck up because the other team will have guys covering your targets, or B) have anticipated this before and are trying to pull something they're not expecting.

5. Is the same method used on defence as they are on offence when trying to get past players (spinning, jumping, pushing away etc)? Basically so I can get past the first blocker and try to get to the QB.

Depends on who you've got selected. The D-linemen are mostly too large to rush to the QB in time so they need to beat the O-linemen and stop the running backs; your best bet to getting to the QB is selecting a linebacker (the 3 guys that move up to the line) and try to cut past the O-line. Sacks in general have a low percentage rate so unless you're on a low difficulty they're not going to happen often.

The cornerbacks & safties will largely have the receivers covered so only control them if you're confident in reading plays.

Edited by seph

• Moderators

This seems to be new for Madden; in general the QB will toss it as hard as he can to get to the receiver and you don't want to be fiddling with power too often as turning the ball over will hurt you much more than in FIFA/PES/etc.

Umm.. This has been a feature for many years.

Edited by Chest Rockwell