WWE World Super Lightweight Title

TheLowdown1987

Now, this is purely fantasy but I actually think it is a good idea. I think there really should be a rethink with regards to the titles. To make the belts and championships mean something give them a proper name. The US title? What does it mean exactly. The champion can only be American, or it can only be defended in the US? It's a tired concept.

I am not saying that if Daniel Bryan was the Super Lightweight Champion he couldn't go up and try and win the Welterweight and Heavyweight titles too, he could.  

I mean, its not unrealistic as NJPW and CMLL have realistic Championships.

So, create a new set of belts.

WWE World Heavyweight title  

WWE World Welterweight title - Taking over from the Intercontinental title or keep it as Intercontintenal due to its prestige

WWE World Super Lightweight title - Taking over from the US title.

WWE World Womens Championship - Taking over from the laughable divas title.  

As much as I understand and get that WWE is a brand and belts are nothing more than marketing opportunities and shouldn't be taken seriously I think there are little things they should do at times to make it a little bit more 'real'. 

Or, keep the US/Intercontinental titles and bring in the Super Lightweight Title.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

A load of stars this days are under 230lbs, there's no need for weight based titles anymore. If anything it just ghettoises the smaller wrestler. Also, under that system there's no mid-card title for an up and coming heavyweight. What would mid carders have to feud over?

I love the pure sports element idea, but I'm inclined to agree with the responses personally. I think one of the overlooked lessons of WCW's Cruiserweight Division is, as good as it was for a couple of years, once those guys got over and felt so far above the Cruiser title, the division floundered because they were seen as the best guys of that size and they were too good for the belt. So either the belt limits them, the division gets left behind, you hope for a steady stream of new blood, or you have to make the belt super-prestigious to unheard of levels, all of which is probably more challenging than bookers like.

As an aside, does anybody else get the feeling that Vince McMahon likes the concept/name of the US Title more than his own IC creation? 

WWE will NEVER get rid of the IC title, debating it is pointless

I would argue a need for a 'cruiserweight' type championship belt but certainly not to replace any championships.

The belt I want to see WWE introduce more than anything right now is a IC style belt in NXT, The NXT roster is getting bigger and bigger, soon they will be putting out a 2 hour show

I love the pure sports element idea, but I'm inclined to agree with the responses personally. I think one of the overlooked lessons of WCW's Cruiserweight Division is, as good as it was for a couple of years, once those guys got over and felt so far above the Cruiser title, the division floundered because they were seen as the best guys of that size and they were too good for the belt. So either the belt limits them, the division gets left behind, you hope for a steady stream of new blood, or you have to make the belt super-prestigious to unheard of levels, all of which is probably more challenging than bookers like.

As an aside, does anybody else get the feeling that Vince McMahon likes the concept/name of the US Title more than his own IC creation?

TBH no, I always get the feeling Vince sees it a hangover from WCW, that's why at times its barely used

WWE will NEVER get rid of the IC title, debating it is pointless

I would argue a need for a 'cruiserweight' type championship belt but certainly not to replace any championships.

The belt I want to see WWE introduce more than anything right now is a IC style belt in NXT, The NXT roster is getting bigger and bigger, soon they will be putting out a 2 hour show

Why wouldn't they? They already did in 2002. They are just props as previously stated. They could do something like make NXT part of Raw, ditch the IC belt and use the NXT belt. They could unify the IC and US belts and name it something else. They could split the brands again rename the belts. It's all stupid. But there's always a chance that they could change it. Especially something as meaningless as a midcard belt.

Again that all comes down to the marketing, they're known as wwe divas, they have the total divas show etc.

Men are known as WWE superstars and at one time that was a prominent show but the World champion was never called the Superstar champion.

Even during the brand split they weren't known as Raw & Smackdown champions, even though they only appeared on those shows and PPVs.

• Paid Members

I've been thinking about a lightweight title for a little while. I don't see it happening for reasons already mentioned but I do think it's a good idea. I'd stay away from weight limits like the X division..

I'm not a huge fan of cruiserwight wrestling but I think with so many hours to fill, WWE could use something a bit different that will kill 15 minutes a week without needing a great deal of thought or writing. Having a batch of 8-10 guys who work a bit quicker and fly about a bit would give them something they don't have. I don't think it pigeon holes them either. They successfully transitioned Misterio into the heavyweight division and Kalisto is doing fine despite being two foot six. If someone gets over, you use them as you would anyone else.

Agree with scrapping the IC or US titles too. No point whatsoever in both.

Archived