WWE World Super Lightweight Title

TheLowdown1987

• Paid Members

A TV title is a no-brainer for a promotion with so much TV. I used to love the stipulation that it had to be defended on every show, but if you made it to 6 (in SMW, at least) successful defences you stood down, presumably to move up to the next belt, and 2 others were chosen to fight for it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

A TV title is a no-brainer for a promotion with so much TV. I used to love the stipulation that it had to be defended on every show, but if you made it to 6 (in SMW, at least) successful defences you stood down, presumably to move up to the next belt, and 2 others were chosen to fight for it.

A TV Title is utterly pointless given for almost 20 years, every non-World title is defended on TV almost every week.

• Paid Members

A TV Title is utterly pointless given for almost 20 years, every non-World title is defended on TV almost every week.
So stop doing that

• Paid Members

So stop doing that

Yeah, fair enough. They won't though!

• Paid Members

Oh, of course. They won't do anything we think makes sense. I sometimes think I watch to work out what they're going to do next (which is impossible because there's little logic to it) as much as for sexy Dean Ambrose.

Totally understand everyones views. I dont know, I suppose I look at the biggest divisions and stars in boxing and UFC and they aren't heavyweights. Mayweather and McGregor are the two biggest names and not traditional heavyweights.

Mayweather and McGregor also can't fight for heavyweight titles. So don't half-arse the suggestion by saying you want lightweight titles but also want lightweight wrestlers you like fighting for the heavyweight belt.

Either create the lightweight ghetto or don't, but if you aren't going to stick to the weight limits, don't bother putting them there in the first place. And in current wrestling, there's no need for them. Which wrestlers would be helped by it anyway? Kalisto is about as small as a non-midget wrestler gets, and he's got a title already, so its not like the current ones preclude lighter/shorter performers.

• Paid Members

I'd much prefer an International Lard-Arse Title than a Lightweight one. Then I can watch Braun Strauman face of against Great Khali and Big Show every week (not many fatties left though sadly).

Wrestling in its purest form is still a couple of freakishly large blokes pummeling each other for me personally. I can't even remember the last time I went on YouTube to look up something from Raw, yet I seem to watch the ECW Monster Mash Battle Royal about 8 times per year.

• Paid Members

Back during the brand split, I always felt they should have one World champ and one set of tag belts, then either fuck off the midcard belts and just have RAW and SD championships, or turn the IC and US belts into those brands' championships. Then keep the Cruiserweight/Light Heavyweight belt on SD, and have the Hardcore belt on RAW, to give both brands a different flavour.

Then, when they moved back a bit to PG, obviously Hardcore wouldn't have fit, so maybe have a "Special Stips" belt, i.e. it can only be defended in non-standard matches, so 3/4/5 ways, ladders, TLC singles, cage, HIAC, submission, Iron Man, LMS, etc.

They basically had all the former ECW & hardcore wrestlers on Raw and most of the cruiserweights on Smackdown at the start of the brand split.

I think the old women's title was strictly on Raw as well, while Smackdown had Dawn Marie & Torrie Wilson.

The next title they will probably create is a women's tag team belt, especially if they had more women to the main roster, especially with the #divasrevolution

Totally understand everyones views. I dont know, I suppose I look at the biggest divisions and stars in boxing and UFC and they aren't heavyweights. Mayweather and McGregor are the two biggest names and not traditional heavyweights.

Mayweather and McGregor also can't fight for heavyweight titles. So don't half-arse the suggestion by saying you want lightweight titles but also want lightweight wrestlers you like fighting for the heavyweight belt.

Either create the lightweight ghetto or don't, but if you aren't going to stick to the weight limits, don't bother putting them there in the first place. And in current wrestling, there's no need for them. Which wrestlers would be helped by it anyway? Kalisto is about as small as a non-midget wrestler gets, and he's got a title already, so its not like the current ones preclude lighter/shorter performers.

But you can fight for different titles and can move up and down, Mayweather was both the Welterweight and Light Middleweight Champion and many think he could beat the Middleweight champion GGG. Roy Jones Jr started his career as a Middleweight and went on to win the Heavyweight title. One of the greatest boxers of all time Sugar Ray Robinson started as a FEATHERWEIGHT and also fought at Heavyweight. Manny Pacquiao is a similar sort story fighting and winning titles at about 5 or 6 different classess.

It's not necessarily creating ghettos, rather 'starting points' and more realistic goals for wrestlers. It's a work after all. The story of the lightweight going up to heavyweight is an easy one to write. If a new wrestler is 6ft 7 and 400lbs then sure he isn't going in the Lightweight division but if you have a group of 10 guys that are similar that could create an interesting league. 

• Paid Members

The next title they will probably create is a women's tag team belt, especially if they had more women to the main roster, especially with the #divasrevolution

To try and run successful programs for both the Divas title and a theoretical womens tag team title you'd either need to have at least six women that are actually over on the main roster at a time (struggle) or have it cross over all the time where the champ and her next challenger are fucking around in tag teams too - and why would they be doing that?

I just can't see it. Interest in tag teams or women is tough to maintain, so womens tag teams? Can't see it. I'd love to see the girls get good reactions on the main roster but as it is, the "#divasrevolution" was so successful that the current featured act in the Divas division is Ric Flair.

• Moderators

Yeah, but they'd fight at the relevant weight. You suggest that AJ Styles puts on weight to 230 to go for a heavyweoght title? Also, which of those title s would be midcard? any? Or would they all be main event. Then it waters down the belts.

No, and like I've said, its a work. It's not real and actual weights wouldn't mean a great deal. It's all about blurring the lines but not to the point where you have people go 'well, AJ's underweight so its not for the title tonight'.

Maybe doing this would do away with the whole 'Mid Card' thing altogether.........I don't know. Creating a little importance in the women got them a main event in Brooklyn in front of 15,000 people. That would never have happened 10 years ago so who knows. You build a division and the importance of 6 or 7 people and it's not the WWE Heavyweight title, who knows, it might happen in time. 

Archived