WWE World Super Lightweight Title

TheLowdown1987

• Paid Members

TV Title was always my favourite. Or, of course, Western States Heritage Title.

I remember at Bunkhouse Stampede when the Western States Heritage Title was defended in New York. I also like the Southern Heavyweight Title.

Also I can't help but think of the ill-fated "Minis title" they had on Smackdown when I think "Super lightweight championship".

Traditionally in the days of the light heavyweight championship the guys in between would be going for the IC title anyway. Warrior aside, they all seemed slightly smaller than the genetic freaks and sideshows that would normally be battling over the big belt until the steroid scandal hit.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's related to the discussion in the character thread, but you can't really have a big fat lummox working on top in WWE anymore. Big Show sometimes does when the roster's thin, but he's got attitude era name value. You couldn't bring up an Andre, Bundy, Viscera type now as an unknown and put them in main events against Cena. The nature of the beast now demands a style that those guys couldn't have kept up with, and the "everyone, every week" TV product means those guys can't keep the mystique. They're trying it a bit with Strowman, but you can see the arse falling off the whole plan as soon as he's in a big singles match. 

Whenever the suggestion comes along for cruiserweight belts, it always seems to include the implication that the good ones can still win the IC/US/WWE titles -- so essentially, the cruiserweight title would be for the shit cruiserweights. But there's never a suggestion for a belt that's exclusively for shit heavyweights. Which makes me think whoever made the suggestion is just regurgitating things from the "push the cruisers" era of complaints, without realising we're living in a world where this happened: 

daniel-bryan-wm-30.jpg

The same way that now and again, we get someone turning up who'll say WWE's problem is the matches are too short and they focus too much on characters and storylines. 

Archived