Vince Russo's Unsolved Mysteries

Liam O'Rourke

For this week's podcast, we're going to take a light-hearted look at the plotholes, unfinished angles, illogical storyline contradictions, and even angles that were finished that still left you dumbfounded, that were put together under Vince Russo's runs in WWF, WCW and TNA.

So the question is, which specific Vinnie Ru plotholes or illogical angles left you scratching your head and pissed you off, and why?

As always, the best contributions will be read on the show and you'll be credited accordingly. So which ones from his body of work bothered you the most, bro?

EDIT - The show discussing Vince Russo's Unsolved Mysteries and taking your suggestions is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/nshr5z/SCGRadio65-VinceRussosUnsolvedMysteries.mp3

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First one that comes to mind was in late 99 in WCW. They started a storyline where Savage was looking for a protege. Then I believe his contract expired and he left so angle was dropped. I was just intrigued at the time with who they could put with him

• Paid Members

Vampiro's 'Dark Master' (reportedly to be called 'Syndrome' at the time if I remember rightly) stroyline. I know Christopher Daniels was going to portray him (did he appear on Nitro under a druid hood or something to that effect?), but what was the plan, and where was that batshit mental idea going to go?

• Paid Members

That bloody breifcase getting pulled up to stop Austin winning the ladder match vs McMahon Inc at KOTR 1999, i cant remember that getting an explaination considering, you know, it majorly affected the outcome of the biggest angle that they had going at that time!

That wasn't unsolved, it was subtlety. Rare in WWE, I know. Bossman got fired and then re-hired to get around the stipulation.

• Paid Members

The one that always springs to mind with me is the Vince higher power storyline. It was actually something i was super invested in at the time. Was a very fresh route to go with an evil heel that even had Vinnie worried and him scampering to save his daughter leading to him begging for Austin's help. The problem was obviously the pay off changing so that the figure that the ministry was tussling with for complete control off the company turns out to be the mastermind behind it. So all the kerfuffle was a load off bollocks as they literally had control the whole time. This wasn't an overly elaborate plan to trick or lure anyone in as this literally didn't happen.

The reason why this one comes to mind is because its vintage Russo. No real pay off, total lacking logic and a swerve for the sake of it. 

• Paid Members

The mystery I'd love to know the truth of is the long forgotten TNA Championship Ranking System. This was first rumoured when Vince Russo went on his facebook Q&A thing he used to do and said "we're working on something that's going to blow your mind, bro" or something similar to that. They built up this surprise for a few weeks, where Hulk Hogan was "going to New York to get this thing done, brother." Was it Goldberg? Was it the recently departed Batista? Was Hogan going to New York because there had been another anthrax scare in the subway where Brutus worked? Sadly, It was revealed that TNA had unearthed a "revolutionary" new ranking system. No idea why Hogan had to go to New York to sort this business out, when the ranking system was a poll hosted from the domain name "Poll Daddy". I could have set that up for them during the commercial break on Impact, if he'd have PM'd me on the UKFF. You can only imagine the jokes that "Poll Daddy" caused at the time. Poll Daddy was a generic free to use service where you sign up with an e-mail address and you get to create a poll on there. Like those old Geocities polls that would always be next to the guest book on a fan site of Mortis in the late 90s (i.e. "is Mortis hotter with the green or purple mask?")

The mystery I'm needing to know the answers to is not that TNA found a rotten website and thought "our thick fans will lap this up". I was more interested in what the purpose was? Because Nigel McGuinness won it in week one and two, and he won a 3 minute match with Rob Van Dam which he lost on Impact. Which begs the question, if they wanted a poll to determain who was over their fan base, why didnt they push the person who was most over with their fan base based on this poll they created? Why did they consider Nigel McGuinness winning the popularity poll such a failure that they dumped it after a month? At least it was better than the first Bound For Glory Series, where Crimson won all his matches and still didnt finish in the top 4.

That bloody breifcase getting pulled up to stop Austin winning the ladder match vs McMahon Inc at KOTR 1999, i cant remember that getting an explaination considering, you know, it majorly affected the outcome of the biggest angle that they had going at that time!

That wasn't unsolved, it was subtlety. Rare in WWE, I know. Bossman got fired and then re-hired to get around the stipulation.

Is that when he came out to "Hard Time" only to walk in the ring and hug Vince?

Last time we had seen him was when he was "part of some symbolic gesture" as Michael Cole said or hung like everyone else said. So it was the Bossman, the scamp.

The worst Vince Russo angle and surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet and it has to be that whole pregnancy angle between Miss Hancock (Stacy Keibler) & David Flair. Apparently Naitch was supposedly to be Stacy's father (story went that he hooked up with her Mom "on the road") so the big swerve there was that David & Stacy would have been brother & sister. Oh & it was going to be found out that Vince Russo was apparently the Baby's daddy. One big plot hole in it was that they had Stacy's real Mom & Dad on Nitro when they did the fake wedding skit with Flair Jr. Then they just dropped it altogether like a lead balloon and Stacy ended up managing Shawn Stasiak instead. 

• Paid Members

The worst Vince Russo angle and surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet and it has to be that whole pregnancy angle between Miss Hancock (Stacy Keibler) & David Flair. Apparently Naitch was supposedly to be Stacy's father (story went that he hooked up with her Mom "on the road") so the big swerve there was that David & Stacy would have been brother & sister. Oh & it was going to be found out that Vince Russo was apparently the Baby's daddy. One big plot hole in it was that they had Stacy's real Mom & Dad on Nitro when they did the fake wedding skit with Flair Jr. Then they just dropped it altogether like a lead balloon and Stacy ended up managing Shawn Stasiak instead. 

Ah, “PerfectShawn”. Still never understood how she went from being Miss Hancock one week to Stacy Keibler the next, like.

Archived