Jim 'The Anvil' Neidhart stories of shame: share yours

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Theres another (sorry cant link)

Tito vs Anvil - it ends in a no content when an immobile and rough look anvil botches a leapfrog and basically headbuts Santana right in the nuts, causing him to drop like a sack of sh*t grabbing his sack and its match over.

I remember a shoot (think it was Honky Tonk man) where he was saying that he usually goes to Europe 2 or 3 x a year for this Dutch promotion but decided to not (as got a better deal or something) and elected to book Neidhart instead. HTM rolled his eyes and said "i wish them luck with that" - lol. 

Back in August 2004 Dutch Championship Wrestling promoted it's first show featuring the Honky Tonk Man. For the next show, in March 2005, Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart was booked to appear and face Mark Kodiak. The flight was booked, and advance was paid, and the Anvil was scheduled to arrive on the Thursday before the show (which was scheduled to take place on Sunday). When DCW representatives arrived at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport to pick up the Anvil they discovered he hadn't arrived on his scheduled flight, and hadn't checked in. Upon trying to contact him, he didn't answer his phone. Later that afternoon Jim called the promotor, telling the story of not being able to leave Canada since his passport had expired, and he was now at the US Embassy trying to arrange a new passport, and he would come over the next day, and he would contact the promotor as soon as he could. This was the last time the promotor heard anythng from him.

The next day, Friday, it was decided to arrange an replacement. This is when the Honky Tonk Man was contacted again, but he was unable to come over to the Netherlands on such short notice due to other commitments. TJ Wilson (aka Tyson Kidd) was eventually brought in as a last-minute replacement. He was in the UK working for Brian Dixon's All Star Wrestling at that time.

The Anvil's no show cost the company a large sum of money.

After the show it was actually discovered he had another booking in Florida, where he actually did appear!

When confronted by e-mail he promised to payback the advance (which he never did).

The funny part is... Some time later he mailed the company stating he was available for booking, and if they were interested in bringing him over.

In Bret Hart's book he tells a great story about Jim Neidhart no-showing and giving one of the best stories\lies\excuses to Gorilla Monsoon.

Apparently he had no showed and gone missing for a few days. When asked about it when he arrived at the arena he told Monsoon that he was on the way to the next town a few days ago and ran over a cat. He went to pick the cat up as he couldn't leave this poor defenseless cat on the road. He said it scratched the hell out of him and he woke up that night sweating and feeling really ill. He said he had been in hospital for the last few days, was at deaths door and had only just been cleared to wrestle. On his way to the ring Monsoon asked what the hospital had said was wrong with him. He replied " Cat Scratch Fever....Cat Scratch Fever

Other Anvil highlights:

Apparently Anvil was also absent from the (legendarily Bad) Heroes of Wrestling PPV up to 40 minutes before the match, and was not returning calls, sending the already strung our promoter into a meltdown and Anvil was apparently VERY in need of a powerdt "ahem" boost upon arrival.

from an article in 2010:

Last week, I found out about an Eastern Professional Championship Wrestling show at Our Lady of Guadalupe in Brooklyn, New York and being a life-long wrestling fan, I wanted to check it out. Just the fact that I could see professional wrestling in a gym that I once scored 28 points in as a teenager in a Catholic basketball league was indeed a pretty cool thing to me.

However, with my journalistic instincts roaring, I figured it would be a great place to also interview some of the independent wrestlers and some of the older “legends” that were appearing on the card, including Nunzio and Jim “The Anvil” Neidhart. The ECPW has a pretty interesting roster as well, including a big dude named Andrew Anderson as their champ and a vampire guy in Timothy Plazma, making me want to interview them as well. After making my inquiry with the company, I soon after got a phone call from Gino Caruso, one of the heads of the promotion, who assured me everything was all set and I had all the access I needed.

Once I got there, I chatted with a few people and quickly got an interview with Nunzio, who was a great guy, answering all of my questions and posing for a few pictures. For that, I thank you for your time and energy. I always had a ton of respect for your in-ring ability and you were great with the kids that night. You are the type of example that other wrestlers should follow as far as dealing with both fans and press.

While all of this was going on, I ignored the fact that one of the ring posts was missing and the show was delayed; these guys looked like decent people and with all the kids there having fun, I allowed myself to not be as harsh as I usually am.

Soon after, Neidhart came and after I announced myself, I waited about 45 minutes for an interview, as he signed autographs and pictures.

Again, I ignored the fact that he was peddling a book by photographer [and an acquaintance of mine, who helped me out tremendously by just being a nice guy when I first started covering the Brooklyn Cyclones in 2006] George Napolitano, entitled “The New Pictorial History of Wrestling” for 25 bucks, telling the fans it was a brand new book, despite the fact that it came out in 1990.

Finally when it came time for me to get my interview, Neidhart asked me for 10 dollars, so “I could get a good one.” Trying to play slick, I informed him that I didn’t have any money and have never paid for an interview in my entire life and didn’t plan on starting anytime soon. I was then informed by an employee of the company that I could go to the store around the corner and go to the ATM and come back and conduct the interview.

Rather than do so, I headed out of the building with staff writer Nick Valente, who was taking pictures for the site that night.

- patrick Hickey Jnr

In a way I am abit gutted i started this thread as i was a major Anvil mark but it turns out hes abit of a kingsize sh*t!

someone must have some stories of his few appearances for Hammerlock back in the early 00's??

• Paid Members

I don't think that last one is bad to be fair, from what I can gather, he was under no obligation to have an interview as part of the booking, he's there to shill, much like every other legend who attend these things. The fact he wanted around 6 quid to sit down 1-1 and answer a few questions about his history isn't that bad is it?

• Paid Members

A UK wrestling fixture who I won't name (his name rhymes with Alex Zane) told me Anvil takes more drugs and carries more contraband about his person than anyone else he's met and has bags of shit with him wherever he goes. I'm sure that surprises nobody and it might be made up but that's as close as I have to a Neidhart story of shame.

I don't think that last one is bad to be fair, from what I can gather, he was under no obligation to have an interview as part of the booking, he's there to shill, much like every other legend who attend these things. The fact he wanted around 6 quid to sit down 1-1 and answer a few questions about his history isn't that bad is it?

I saw DDP at a comic convention where he was selling 8x10s and promoting DDP yoga, he was insanely cool and spoke to me for a good 45 minutes when I bought a photo from him. While I was chatting to DDP some random guy with nothing but a phone came up without inquiring about buying anything and asked him if he could interview him there and then, DDP politely declined and obviously found the whole thing awkward. People can't indulge every chancer to no benefit of their own.

If the guy in the anvil story was working with the promotion, the promoters should have spoken to anvil first and asked if he'd do an interview to help promote the company. If the guy's just a fan who wants to interview a wrestler then like you said, $10 is pretty good for a filmed interview when people are happily spending at least that on a Polaroid or autograph that takes 5 seconds at the same show.

• Paid Members

Sympathy also wanes when the guy opens his passage bragging about how many points he scored one time in a basketball game at the same venue.

Also:

Never paid for an interview in my entire life and didn’t plan on starting anytime soon.

Would love to see this guy walk up to a signing table at say, Comic Con or similar, ask for an interview, and see how long it is before he’s told to fuck off.

Archived