Favourite WCW Halloween Havoc Match?

Ez Money

That was my default 'memorable' match from HH.

An utter disaster from start to finish!

Cant blame Warrior either! He was drafted in to 'lay down' for Hogan and paid a bomb for it! (Wasnt it something like 1m??)

A limited performer and bit of a nutter WWf knew how to accentuate his positives, and give him parameters to work with (+ a slew of superworkers to make him look good).

WCW on the other Hand threw him out there match rusty (mistake), gave him free reign (mistake), put him with a then ego rampant Hogan (mistake), didnt spend any time designing the match (mistake) and the result was an utter abomination of a match let alone a marquee PPV headliner!

Warrior of course at this point had been about 10 years, was well known (along with his behaviours) so WcW should have known better!

This is a classic condensed display of why WcW imploded in just one match!

Purely for sentimental reasons the Chamber of Horrors match.
I'd started having my Dad record WCW Pro (after American Gladiators) in the early hours on a Saturday night a month or so prior and remember the Missy Hyatt and Paul E Dangerously skits that promoted it. In my 9 year old mind this was going to be the most frightening match ever and I was so disappointed they didnt show any clips from it on the subsequent shows as I was fascinated by what the Chamber looked like.
It wasnt until a couple of years later I got it on tape......

Not a match but one of my favourite moments though, Paul E Dangerously fires Madusa -

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3tlgl_paul-e-dangerously-fires-madusa-fro_sport

Mysterio/Guerrero.

It's pretty much perfect. Eddie as a great heel, and Rey as a great babyface, and it's pretty flawless overall. Love it and one of my favorite matches of all time.

HM: DDP/Goldberg.

Steiners vs Nasty Boys in 1990. Just an amazing match that pretty much made the Nasties career.

That's the one that sprang to mind for me too. It made the Nasties, but it's one of the best Steiner matches too. A fast-paced high-octane suplex fest that still comes across as awesome today.

I'd like to make an honourable mention for The Midnight Express vs Ricky Morton and Tommy Rich match from the same event. It's a really excellent southern tag-match that feels like time has forgotten about it. Definitely well worth watching.

• Paid Members

It's got to be Eddie vs Rey for me also. I was never the biggest fan of Rey at the time as he was just a bit to soft for me. But Eddie was the perfect opponent. Small enough to make Rey look believable excellent heel really cracking match

Altough I will say I think I'm the only person ever who thought Reys outfit was fucking guff

Steiners vs Nasty Boys in 1990. Just an amazing match that pretty much made the Nasties career.

That's the one that sprang to mind for me too. It made the Nasties, but it's one of the best Steiner matches too. A fast-paced high-octane suplex fest that still comes across as awesome today.

It's not really though, that's a large part of what's so good about it, it's a real American wrestling tag match, unlike your more typical Steiner spotfests.

I think it's an excellent shout for this thread as something great that was never really all that highly rated or hyped among the snowflakers. There's a really out of place turnbuckle suplex right at the start but the match settles down into a slower, more traditional structure afterwards as the Steiners are reined in with some long Nasties heat segments, which obviously limits all their suplex wankery to ensure that when the two or three of them do eventually come on comebacks or as desperation spots, there's actually a point and a context to them.

I don't think a whole lot of the Steiners, apart from during their WWF run, but I think this match is probably the best they've had - albeit I've saw a few TV matches listed against the Midnights which i've still to see. And the Quebec rules one would probably have been outstanding were it not butchered by breaks.

The Nasties were great though, a real underappreciated team (as heels anyway), and that match is still one of their best, maybe after the Cactus/Sullivan one. They had a great brawling style; all wild and out of control, with every flailing punch, knee smash or elbow drop looking like it wouldn't be much fun to be on the end of. The only minor criticism of that match I would have is that all the technical wear down holds felt somewhat out of place with a team like that. Other than that though, it was great stuff. And you'd be remiss not to mention the great post match beatdown too. It still gives me a chuckle to think of that thread on here a while back arguing that the Nasties had nothing on New Jack and the Gangstas!

Back on topic, i'd still probably have to go with the previously mentioned Luger/Pillman as my absolute fave though. Rey/Eddie was obviously jaw dropping too and tremendous fun, even if that all action WCW cruiserweight style doesn't hold up as well for me today.

Thinking about this a little more and remembered another true forgotten gem from Halloween Havoc. Davey Boy Smith had an absolutely tremendous match with Steven Regal at the 93 event. Regal was just hitting his stride as a heel by this point and was obviously desperate to impress. Davey Boy also seemed to take the opportunity to show a different side of himself and the two of them worked in quite a few smooth and athletic British style spots. It all ends up being a very smooth, fun and exciting match.

• Paid Members

Thinking about this a little more and remembered another true forgotten gem from Halloween Havoc. Davey Boy Smith had an absolutely tremendous match with Steven Regal at the 93 event. Regal was just hitting his stride as a heel by this point and was obviously desperate to impress. Davey Boy also seemed to take the opportunity to show a different side of himself and the two of them worked in quite a few smooth and athletic British style spots. It all ends up being a very smooth, fun and exciting match.

Remember watching this on DSF in German. Agree 100% brilliant match.

Archived