What to do with Commentary?

Teedy Kay

• Paid Members

Is this current ebb of vocalised shite potentially the worst period of commentary in WWE history? The worst of all time anywhere perhaps?

It actually pains me to have to listen to it, it distracts me so much from the product it's truly unbearable. If it was as easy as muting them I would, but pure silence watching wrestling just doesn't work. I honestly think a drastic change is in order, but who would be suited to the commentary booth?

I'd probably keep Cole to be fair, as a straight Play-By-Play he can be decent, especially if he has talent next to him that he can play off, the standard Face play-by-play and heel colour team works, it worked for years and it needs to be re-established and Cole would suit that role.

Heyman is the obvious shout, but he likes his part time deal too much, and his flitting in and out for Brock works SO well I'd never want to disturb that

So for me I personally think Raven would be a fantastic shout as colour commentator. He's exceptionally quick witted, plays a cocky, arrogant heel extremely well, can talk with no fear and he also has an underlying prior knowledge of how Vince's style of production works. Having a slightly different look at the booth would be different too.

I don't mind JBL as much as others. Needs to shut up about rugby or what-the-fuck-ever but often he makes me laugh, getting behind heels like Bo and the New Day with a totally straight face, but not so annoying that you want to see him get his come-uppance which is an all too often distraction with colour-commentators. King needs to be taken out back and shot though, poor thing. Or at least leave him off the PPV team.

Agree with most of Teedy Kay's post. Not sure whether Raven would be as good as we'd hope in that environment though. I watched Triple H vs Foley from NWO 2000 just before HIAC and more than anything, it was the great commentary that was resonating with me after it finished. It definitely needs sorting out. Michael Cole, Raven and Regal would be interesting.

Jim Cornette done an awesome job on commentary towards the end of '97 on Raw along with JR. This was when Vince stopped doing commentary after Montreal. They tried out some weird shit like teaming Kevin Kelly and Cole up with JR for the 1st hour and Lawler would come out for the 2nd hour during the War Zone. Still it all worked out well as I thought Lawler and JR were outstanding from 98 until Lawler left the company in 2001. It was never the same when they turned Lawler babyface.

I think Jim Cornette and Cole would make a decent announce team.

• Paid Members

Is this current ebb of vocalised shite potentially the worst period of commentary in WWE history? The worst of all time anywhere perhaps?

I'd probably keep Cole to be fair

It's the worst commentary of all time but you'd keep the main guy as 50% of your commentary team?

Add me to the Corey Graves camp, he'd be great for the job and he has more cool appeal than any commentator in memory (not hard when they're all puppy killing, dated 60 year olds)

I want Renee Young to get a go. 

She seems bright and would be great voice / face for the company. Especially given this Divas Revolution stuff.

In fact would it be too pandering to have an announce team just for the Diva's matches. Say Renee and someone like Lita (not her necessarily) doing Colour?

• Paid Members

Renee Young is really shit on commentary. When she was doing NXT, she was like a crap podcast host. I imagine she'd be unbearable for 3 hours every week.

The thing is, Cole and JBL are only what Vince wants them to be. They were fantastic in 2007. In 2015 they do the job of what Vince sees wrestling as. You could put anyone in the chair, and its going to be the same shite, just with a different voice. They aren't wrestling announcers, sadly. They are "storytelling salesmen." I dont blame them. I dont even blame Lawler. Lawler doesnt watch WWE anymore. Its not what he likes in his wrestling, so he just does enough to get by and goes home and does his local stuff where he's still The King. Its telling that the last time Lawler showed any interest in his announcing was when Matt Striker was there and he spent every hour of the broadcast trying to call him everything but a cunt.

• Paid Members

I'd probably keep Cole to be fair

It's the worst commentary of all time but you'd keep the main guy as 50% of your commentary team?

Add me to the Corey Graves camp, he'd be great for the job and he has more cool appeal than any commentator in memory (not hard when they're all puppy killing, dated 60 year olds)

I'd probably keep Cole to be fair, as a straight Play-By-Play he can be decent, especially if he has talent next to him that he can play off

You missed a bit.

Corey Graves is fantastic it has to be said, what a fantastic transition after the injury and a very wise choice and selection from HHH. And he'd completely slipped my mind.

• Awards Moderator

The other thing Corey Graves has is the old-school preference for the heels. Almost Ventoorah-like justification for them (almost). I like it a lot, gives them great credibility.

Archived