What to do with Commentary?

Teedy Kay

• Paid Members

The thing is, Cole and JBL are only what Vince wants them to be. They were fantastic in 2007. In 2015 they do the job of what Vince sees wrestling as. You could put anyone in the chair, and its going to be the same shite, just with a different voice. They aren't wrestling announcers, sadly. They are "storytelling salesmen." I dont blame them. I dont even blame Lawler

Bang on the money.

I was tempted to post something on the random thoughts thread recently along the same lines. I've been watching a lot of 1997 WWF (again) on the Network recently, and its tragic what's happened to the KIng as well as the whole commentary dynamic.There's no reason for it either.

I really can't be arsed with the WWE in 2015 so I don't watch it in the main. But I ended up watching some Smackdown when it was on Sky Sports yesterday afternoon and what was apparent, in addition to everything just coming off as being so contrived, was that the crowd was just so deathly silent as well. They showed some Raw highlights and it was much the same. The dead crowd, the crap commentary and over produced product.

OK, the last episode of 1997 Raw I watched was the South African one which aesthetically looked shite, so I'm not holding that up as a shining light or anything. But at least it came off as off the cuff and "anything can happen". The fun and the grit has been sucked out of it and replaced with LED boards and pink ring ropes while going through the motions. 

Yeah, I know that was a "wrestling was good then but shite now" post, but its how I genuinely feel tbh.

It's not really surprising how shit commentary on WWE shows is these days considering what was on that leaked memo about what they could and couldn't say during a televised broadcast. It's no wonder JBL rants about other sports to fill the gaps. It's actually surprising how many references and certain phrases etc is off limits.

• Paid Members

I think Graves is overrated.  Spends too much of his time making really shit digs at Byron Saxton that take not wit or thought.  Byron never gives him a response so it just comes across as pointless.  Also think he often makes points which don't really make much sense which leads to him contradicting himself every now and then.

Saxton is one of the most nothing commentators ever.  He doesn't add anything to the product, but he doesn't really detract from it either.  You just don't notice him.

I do feel Josh Matthews and The Pope are probably the worst mainstream promotion commentary team in history, detrimental to both your enjoyment of the show and the product itself.  Both are awful 

Its early days for him but I like Corey Graves stuff on nxt etc, he's articulate and quick witted, he'd be suited to Raw if/when they shake things up, his look with the tattoo's and suits and style if fresh and modern compared to what wwe normally has and looks for.

Graves is decent in my opinion and has a great look, but man, I wish he'd nail his character down. He's always floating between heel and face on nxt. Plus he has a tendency to try and overshadow his colleagues which he shouldn't be doing.

• Paid Members

The big problem with the commentary for a while is there's no passion.

When it's been at its best it sold passion and you could believe the blokes sat feet away cared about what was going on.

If they don't give a toss why should I.

• Paid Members

The big problem with the commentary for a while is there's no passion.

When it's been at its best it sold passion and you could believe the blokes sat feet away cared about what was going on.

If they don't give a toss why should I.

I think that's as a result of having to get over all sorts of bollocks and avoid saying anything that annoys Vince. They get better in big matches because they get caught up in it a bit. They're most dreadful on raw during short matches while they're obviously just thinking about what's next to say.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I'd say they are how they are because that's what's wanted of them.

It's over management I guess, give them some rough guidance and notes don't drive them into the ground with edicts and kill the risk of anything genuine seeping through.

Archived