What was your first live wrestling show?

Linus

• Paid Members

*typical cracking BBHG write-up*

Always interesting — I've just remembered that I attended at least one Butlins show in 1990-1991, and Bertie Bassett was the babyface, vs. "Mr. Fuji" (whose hat is still in the business, I believe). Could that have been v. early Regal, or was he already too established for this? It wasn't just a gimmick name, he got over by chucking licorice allsorts into the crowd, which is a hygiene nightmare but they were simpler times.

• Paid Members

My first wrestling show was UK Rampage 1993 at Sheffield Arena. I don't remember much about it other than Bob Backlund vs Damien Demento and after the main event, Yokozuna hit his finished on Hacksaw and I cried all the way home. I was 5.

Edited by Nick James

Does anyone else recall that the Undertaker made an appearance on CBBC while the WWF was over for this tour? He showed up one evening prior to the lead in to Neighbours. It seems to have been lost to time as I've never seen any footage of this appear on youtube, but I know I didn't imagine it. 

He could've pre-recorded this appearance for the BBC to go out in Sept 94 because Taker and Paul Bearer appeared on either Going Live or Live & Kicking I can't remember which show it was but he was there to plug his big return at SummerSlam 94 about a week before the PPV. Even though SummerSlam 94 didn't air live. That was back when we used to get them a couple of days later on Sky Sports.

There were a couple of Butlins shows I went to around this time too, but this is the first proper one.

WWF @ Birmingham, England - NEC - October 8, 1991 (12,000; sell out)

Jim Duggan pinned Typhoon after hitting him with the 2X4

The Big Bossman defeated the Mountie via count-out

Ric Flair pinned Kerry Von Erich

Shawn Michaels & Marty Jannetty defeated Paul Roma & Hercules when Michaels pinned Roma

The Undertaker defeated Roddy Piper via disqualification

Tito Santana pinned the Barbarian

WWF Tag Team Champions the Legion of Doom defeated the Nasty Boys when Road Warrior Hawk pinned Knobs

Davey Boy Smith pinned Earthquake

That was when they came over to record that Battle Royal at the Albert Hall special for Sky.  I find it a bit odd that Piper had a match at a house show but didn't have a match on the Albert Hall card. He only entered the Battle Royal at the end of the show.

From what I remember it was an all star show in Oxford. I think I was 12 or 13. All i remember in gangrel was the headliner in a match i can't remember at all. James Mason was the one who stood out. I remember he was in a singles match followed by being the last survivor in a 6 man tag.

The second show was better i think, more memorable, jonny storm v hade vansen had a brilliant match. Tj Wilson was on the show and looked good

I grew up in north Wales, which was obviously Orig Williams territory.

The first show I remember was at Holyhead Leisure Centre, which would have been around 1992 or so. My memory is quite sketchy but I remember a fake Ultimate Warrior on the card as well as the "third" British Bulldog, who used to team with Dynamite Kid in Japan but his name escapes me. At school the next day though, we were all convinced that Sean South was actually Road Warrior Hawk, and "not a fake like the rest."

The "third" Bulldog was probably Johnny Smith who went out to have a decent run in All Japan (as well as a small run in ECW). Believe I saw a version of that show in Cardiff.

Remember when Davey Boy appeared on some indie tour across the UK at dozens of leisure centres and social clubs that had a decent size concert room big enough for a wrestling ring. This was just before his return to WWE in August 94.

He worked over here for about 8 months in 1994 before going back to the WWF at SummerSlam.

I grew up in north Wales, which was obviously Orig Williams territory.

The first show I remember was at Holyhead Leisure Centre, which would have been around 1992 or so. My memory is quite sketchy but I remember a fake Ultimate Warrior on the card as well as the "third" British Bulldog, who used to team with Dynamite Kid in Japan but his name escapes me. At school the next day though, we were all convinced that Sean South was actually Road Warrior Hawk, and "not a fake like the rest."

I remember going to a few "Reslo" TV tapings in Beaumaris as well as more of Orig's summer shows in Llandudno, and was lucky enough to see Giant Haystacks wrestle.

My first American promotion show wasn't until the first ever UK Raw taping in Manchester, October 2004. I forgot that I'd seen Shawn Michaels wrestle live until I searched for these results now. http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/results/raw/041011.html

That tribute show sounds a lot like the one I saw in the Shetland Isles in the early 90s. I remember we also thought the road warrior was the only real deal lol

TNA House Show, Olympia, Liverpool, June 2008.

TNAs 2nd UK show (this was the 2nd night at the Olympia).

Matches that stand out where-

Joe v Booker

Leathal v Williams v Dutt

Rhyno v Abyss

LAX v Machine Guns

The Machine Guns match was the best match ive seen live.

Great show, been to a good few shows since buts its still the best one.

Edited by Fanny Pack

• Paid Members

TNA House Show, Olympia, Liverpool, June 2008.

TNAs 2nd UK show (this was the 2nd night at the Olympia).

Matches that stand out where-

Joe v Booker

Leathal v Williams v Dutt

Rhyno v Abyss

LAX v Machine Guns

The Machine Guns match was the best match ive seen live.

I was at this one too, it was actually the first night. Also featured Gail Kim & Doug Williams v James Storm & Awesome Kong and AJ Styles vs Bobby Roode.

The second night things were switched around - Joe vs Abyss, Booker vs Rhino, Styles vs Lethal vs Doug, Kim vs Kong, LAX vs Beer Money, and the Guns vs Petey & Sonjay. The Guns match opened the show and there was a lot more buzz than the night before, it was definitely one of my top 20 matches I've ever seen live, real adrenaline rush. Next night at the SkyDome they wrestled Storm & Roode and that was almost as good. They went over, too.

First show I went to was a show at the Everton Park Sports Centre which was headlined by Davey Boy when he done that mini tour in 93 after leaving WCW

First WWE show was the second house show they did at the Echo Arena in April 2009, headlined by Cena/Mysterio v Edge/Big Show

Edited by RIDDUM_N_STYLE