Unaired 2013 World of Sport Wrestling Pilot released

SteelChairMag

I know it's supposed to be deeply respectful of British wrestling traditions and what not, but Christ, that looked dull. ICW looks much more fun. And does every wrestling show in Britain have to start with a series of awkward talking heads describing injuries caused by non-wrestling moves, then going on, heel or face, to say they're just going to go out and have fun? Makes them look like nice-but-dim masochists.

I think British wrestling should never lose its identity, the technical skills, rounds etc. are what made wrestling from this country so respected around the world and why countless Japanese and North American wrestlers have come over here over the decades to train and work in this style
HOWEVER I do think, for a product to even think about making it to TV nowadays it needs a modern look and an amalgamation of the modern and classic styles.
Retro can still be achieved without looking low-budget and second rate in my opinion.

It was clearly recorded by people who didnt consider that this was going on TV. You can't just record a show and expect it to draw in TV execs looking for a ratings winner. It was pairs of unattractive men facially and vocally emoting to darkness. Light the crowd, cut the show to an hour, crash from heartfelt face promo to "we join the action in the third round..." match-swinging incident rather than playing the whole damn thing, and actually pretend the stars earn a decent wedge. Glam it up. Wrestlers are supposed to be full-time paid athletes, professionally tough. They shouldnt look or act so wet enough that the meathead goons from TOWIE could handle them. It just looks like a real missed opportunity from all concerned.

I know it's supposed to be deeply respectful of British wrestling traditions and what not, but Christ, that looked dull. ICW looks much more fun. And does every wrestling show in Britain have to start with a series of awkward talking heads describing injuries caused by non-wrestling moves, then going on, heel or face, to say they're just going to go out and have fun? Makes them look like nice-but-dim masochists.

I have seen LDN a few times, sadly all shows are similar, they promote shows excellent, get good crowds etc but its not for me.

Curious how they can promote Croydon Halls when its an ASW Venue.

I believe Sanjay Bagga got together with some reps of the Legends Reunion and the Knights to film a commemorative show at Croydon, supposedly to pitch the concept to British TV chiefs. Because they used contractors from ITV Studios, rumours started that WoS was coming back to ITV for real. It generated a bit of buzz which died away pretty quick when it turned out it wasn't as big a deal.

• Paid Members

The submission Matt based wrestling could catch on if marketed right and presented as a hybrid between wrestling and mma

No, it won't. If people want wrestling they'll watch wrestling. If people want MMA they'll watch MMA. There's no way you'd get MMA fans to watch this "hybrid" so long as there was even a whiff of it being related to pro wrestling.

Archived