How to get more "attitude" into WWE?

tiger_rick

The WWE Performance Centre is churning out generic Create-A-Superstar wrestlers who can flip-flop and fly and do 650s but have no depth or meaning and are 2 a dozen. Once you have seen one 650 off the top rope it gets a bit stale. It doesn't matter how many flips Adrian Neville can do he's just hasn't got that 'it factor' and it can't be taught that's the problem.

With respect that is balls. If anything it's the opposite. Sure some of the characters can be hit and miss (sorry Adam Rose), but ultimately NXT is doing more character work than the main roster.

Sami Zayn: The ultimate underdog. Struggled to grab the brass ring because he will always do what's right. One of the highlights of NXT was on the Takeover show where he won the belt; seeing the reaction he got from the fans when he merely contemplated splatting Adrian Neville with a chair is a credit to his character development.

Kevin Owens: I'm not his biggest fan but I love the character work. Here's a guy who is cold and malicious and dangerous... but also loves his family. He is the best sort of heel... a justified one. He get's away with nearly crippling his best mate because in his mind he's doing it for his kid's upbringing. I especially love how he does reprehensible things on TV, then the next day shares pics of his baby sitting in the NXT title. Just spot on. 

The Women: Are actually all different! Charlotte is the constant athlete under pressure, Bailey the nice person who can't catch a break, Sasha the girl with the big gob who can actually back it up, Carmella is the girl with the big gob who can't back it up!

Rhyno: Guy wants to come back and prove he's still got it so guns for the biggest and strongest to prove it. The man's on a path of redemption.

Enzo and Big Cass: Two big lugs who just want to have fun. Plus you can see the basis of a love triangle brewing perfectly at the moment.

Tyler Breeze: The pretty boy with a insecurity complex as big as the grand canyon. Always has a excuse when he's not on top. Talks a big game, but shows he is so desperate for acceptance as a serious competitor, and shows in his constant insatiable lust to become the NXT number 1 competitor. 

I love NXT... the character work is pretty damn good and would say it's far superior to many other fed out there.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The WWE Performance Centre is churning out generic Create-A-Superstar wrestlers who can flip-flop and fly and do 650s but have no depth or meaning and are 2 a dozen. Once you have seen one 650 off the top rope it gets a bit stale. It doesn't matter how many flips Adrian Neville can do he's just hasn't got that 'it factor' and it can't be taught that's the problem.

With respect that is balls. If anything it's the opposite. Sure some of the characters can be hit and miss (sorry Adam Rose), but ultimately NXT is doing more character work than the main roster.

Sami Zayn: The ultimate underdog. Struggled to grab the brass ring because he will always do what's right. One of the highlights of NXT was on the Takeover show where he won the belt; seeing the reaction he got from the fans when he merely contemplated splatting Adrian Neville with a chair is a credit to his character development.

Kevin Owens: I'm not his biggest fan but I love the character work. Here's a guy who is cold and malicious and dangerous... but also loves his family. He is the best sort of heel... a justified one. He get's away with nearly crippling his best mate because in his mind he's doing it for his kid's upbringing. I especially love how he does reprehensible things on TV, then the next day shares pics of his baby sitting in the NXT title. Just spot on.

The Women: Are actually all different! Charlotte is the constant athlete under pressure, Bailey the nice person who can't catch a break, Sasha the girl with the big gob who can actually back it up, Carmella is the girl with the big gob who can't back it up!

Rhyno: Guy wants to come back and prove he's still got it so guns for the biggest and strongest to prove it. The man's on a path of redemption.

Enzo and Big Cass: Two big lugs who just want to have fun. Plus you can see the basis of a love triangle brewing perfectly at the moment.

Tyler Breeze: The pretty boy with a insecurity complex as big as the grand canyon. Always has a excuse when he's not on top. Talks a big game, but shows he is so desperate for acceptance as a serious competitor, and shows in his constant insatiable lust to become the NXT number 1 competitor.

I love NXT... the character work is pretty damn good and would say it's far superior to many other fed out there.

The issue is of course it doesn't translate very well to the main roster.

Only a handful of wrestlers have gone from NXT and done well, but they all seem to lose a bit of character in the process, or in the case of Adam Rose, get worse. I think the answer is not NXT lacks characters but that RAW lacks creativity.

With respect that is balls. If anything it's the opposite. Sure some of the characters can be hit and miss (sorry Adam Rose), but ultimately NXT is doing more character work than the main roster....

The issue is of course it doesn't translate very well to the main roster.

Only a handful of wrestlers have gone from NXT and done well, but they all seem to lose a bit of character in the process, or in the case of Adam Rose, get worse. I think the answer is not NXT lacks characters but that RAW lacks creativity.

Yes, but you can't blame the performance centre for that. The statement was that the performance churns out "create a superstar" wrestlers. But it isn't. It's churning out well rounded characters. Just because the writing team go on to misuse them isn't a fault of the performance centre.

Besides, even that isn't entirely true. Seth Rollins was produced by the Performance Centre, and he's one of the best heels to come along in a long time.

• Paid Members

The best way for me to articulate my frustration with the current product is to reference an analogy Max Landis used. In one of those videos he perfectly described pro-wrestling as being uniquely structured like the Muppet Show.

It's formatted as a show within a show, where viewers not only see the finished product, the skits in the Muppet Show and the matches on RAW, but also the craziness backstage as things go wrong and big characters interract with one another.

Within the fictional universe of pro-wrestling it should just be a sports league, with guys having matches to see who's the best, but the fun is in the anarchy that surrounds it. Guys are cheating to win matches, someone's brother has come back from the dead, that girlfriend is now shagging someone else, his manager has joined forces with that guy, the fight has ended up outside and someone has been thrown into the ocean, whatever. For the longest time though, it feels like the craziness and the sillyness has somehow been lost and it's literally become what it's supposed to not be; just guys having matches.

What I find most depressing of all though is that I'm almost certain I was one of those dickheads ten years ago crying for more wrestling on my wrestling show, furious that guys weren't getting enough time to put on great matches. Now that's all I ever get and I'm bored senseless. It also doesn't help that I share an office with a group of guys who're still stuck in that backwards mentality and a couple of times a day I hear them drivelling on about, "movesets," "PG Eras," and other such bullshit.

• Paid Members

Does anyone trust them to come up with silliness that isn't shit though? Their idea of whacky stuff is Hornswaggle running through imaginery holes in walls, exploding money in the bank cases, drinks with "vomiting powder" in them, etc.

• Paid Members

At this point I seriously think I'd take shit sillyness over no sillyness at all. It's unreal that we're almost half way through the year and Heath Slater taking an RKO backstage might still be my favourite moment.

The stupidity of it, and the way it's so badly mistimed, leaving a massive gap between Heath's gasp and Randy actually hitting the move, still makes me smile.

I didn't mind the exploding briefcase, either. Don't get me wrong, it was definitely borderline, but I think the fact that we're so starved of that stuff nowadays made me enjoy it more than I maybe would have otherwise. I also think that's why Dean Ambrose is still so over, despite being booked to lose all of the time; for whatever reason he's one of the few characters who they write silly non-wrestling stuff for. Talking to a shrink backstage, bringing a hot dog cart to the ring or dressing like a cop and driving the truck around, even if his stuff is a bit rubbish people are still more invested in him than the majority of the roster because he does something other than just have matches.

• Paid Members

Commentary team needs a big fucking overhaul. Those three useless sacks of shit behind the announce desk need to either be canned entirely or step themselves up and decide on a character or way or presenting themselves. JBL's dead eyed half arsed heel attempts and flip flopping back to his HAHA I LOVE IT MAGGLE WE HAVE FUN HERE TONIGHT YESSIR, Booker T's insane rambling that's good for a laugh transcribed but fucking painful to listen to, and whatever the fuck it is Michael Cole's been doing for all these years....

This whole post about the state of the commentary team was spot-on, but I've been pissing myself at I LOVE IT MAGGLE for ages now. If nothing else improves, at least I'll get a chuckle every time I hear this in the future.

• Paid Members

Agree with Supremo's last post 100%. The silly angles are what get wrestlers over. Remember that segment they did where Kane was working as a hot dog vendor and Ryback came over? It was awesome. Ryback's line of "I want a hot dog, some beef jerky, and a protein shake with extra protein for THE BIG GUY!" was ace, then they started fighting and when Kane ran off Ryback picked up a bag of nuts and shouted "Hey Kane, you forgot your nuts!". It was cheesy, stupid but loads of fun and did more for Ryback than 10 squash match victories in a row would. Every show needs moments like that.

• Paid Members

I know that I'm not missing much if I skip Raw, these days. I always like Nash's line about the only thing Raw about the show is the name and that it should really be called Monday Night Contrived.

Big characters are what draw me in, and there are maybe only a few wrestlers that are good at it. I agree with Supermo, with regards to the show being no fun. It's what made that 2000 run so much fun - anything could happen, it felt like. With WWE, for every silly Hornswoggle skit, you can also get Team Hell No, who are a prefect example of characters rising to the occasion and turning a short angle into a months long tag team, which eventually helped Bryan become a big star for them.

Yes, but you can't blame the performance centre for that. The statement was that the performance churns out "create a superstar" wrestlers. But it isn't. It's churning out well rounded characters. Just because the writing team go on to misuse them isn't a fault of the performance centre.

Not the performance centre itself, but there's definitely a small pond factor when it comes to NXT. It suffers from the same thing that TNA did, back when TNA was still a thing. That's why you'd get wrestlers who seemed wildly popular in the Impact Zone but would go down like a lead fart the times they did shows away from there.

Appealing to the same few hundred hardcores every time is not the same as appealing to thousands of new people. The smalltime, preaching-to-the-converted nature of the show vastly helps NXT stories seem more intimate and engaging than if the exact same thing happened on Raw. Because of this, even if Raw had the best creative, making the transition from developmental to main shows would still be hit and miss.

Yeah, definitely. The example I used, before she was brought up, was Emma. People will say she was saddled with Santino and should have been left to her own accord, but she was probably more likely to succeed being partnered with an established comedy act than doing her thing by herself. Yet the NXT crowd loved her.

• Paid Members

Kevin Owens disagrees, 

Here you have a fat middle age guy who debuted 6 months ago, he is now feuding with WWEs top guy. People are buying it to. 

You book people right they get over, the shield where booked right and got over, The ascension? booked like total jobbers while JBL put them down every chance he got.

To say creative have little to do with the the ability of talent to step from NXT to the main roster is wrong imo.

Creative may have to change what fundamentally got them over in NXT to get over to a big extent on the main shows. It's easier to get over in front of hardcore wrestling fans.

Also, Kevin Owens may be a success. But I think it's too early to say.

Archived