Ring of Honor signs with Destination America

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A brilliant point in today's Observer update:

For however much you may want to fault TNA for not having exclusivity, remember that United Talent Agency negotiated the deal for them.

Hilarious. Imagine taking 15% of the deal and not even negotiating exclusivity.

Up until today, though, we'd never have thought they'd need it.

Wow congrats ROH I have watched them quite religiously for the last year and really enjoyed their stuff and felt they deserved more, haven't watched TNA in like 2 years or so the last I saw of it, it didn't make much sense. But brilliant news for ROH.

• Paid Members

Unlike TNA, ROH is owned by a broadcasting company who ships them out to channels in markets all over the States. So ROH tapes shows whether they are on national TV or not. So they dont live or die by the rights fees. TNA do. My theory is that DA likes the audience wrestling brings in but hates the idea of paying TNA to actually survive to provide that programming. ROH on the other hand just hands in the tapes of their regular show to Destination America. If Destination America boots ROH off tomorrow, ROH just goes back to the same business model it always has. If TNA loses Destination America, they're probably fucked.

Its crazy, ROH sells tickets to their tapings and makes good on the door, they have a deal to produce action figures and their PPVs do the same as TNA's did when they were on Spike. Its quite amazing how poorly run TNA is by comparison.

• Paid Members

It's funny but a little confusing. Weren't DA cancelling TNA because they find it hard to sell ad time around wrestling?

Yep,  but it sounds like they think it may just be Impact rather than wrestling that is putting off the advertisers. Even if that isn't the case, they can pay a lot less for ROH because it's a show that's already been produced, rather than with Impact where the DA money has to cover all the costs.

A blatant fuck you Dixie from Destination America!

Stunned at the sudden news which was reported to have been signed Wednesday morning, and DA contacted ROH on this deal.

The Somoa Joe deal, depending on what deal Joe actually signed with WWE is unknown as far as I'm aware. He's still taking bookings with ROH as well. Did Vince get any sniff that this deal was going down for example.

• Paid Members

Dixie will 100% spin this somehow so that it appears great for TNA.

I can see it now. With both companies having fans' eyes on the channel on the same night there is a chance for people to check them out that wouldn't have previously, possibly catch new viewers.

Archived