Celebs you'd never have heard of...

tiger_rick

i'm still not quite sure who she is.

I remember seeing Robert Goulet at Wrestlemania 6 (?)I'd seen previously on the opening credits of an episode of Police Squad! so had presumed he was an old actor from a Quincy type show, then Mania 6 comes along and I was shocked - "that guys a singer?"

people like Bob Uker would never have been on my radar were it not for appearances in Mania etc.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I love Henny Youngman — my favorite Henny Youngman stories are from Mark Evanier:

He would take his fiddle and go to some hotel that had banquet rooms. He'd consult the daily directory in the lobby and find a party—usually a Bar Mitzvah reception—and he would go up to the room and ask to speak to whoever was paying for the affair. "I'm Henny Youngman," he would tell that person. "I was playing a date in another banquet room here and one of the waiters suggested you might want to have me do my act for your gathering here." He would negotiate whatever price he could get—$200, $500, preferably in cash—and he would do his act for them

and Roger Ebert:

I once observed Henny Youngman taping a TV show in the old NBC studios at the Merchandise Mart. We got into an elevator together. It stopped at the second floor, a private club. A wedding was under way. Youngman got off the elevator, asked to meet the father of the bride and said, "I'm Henny Youngman. I'll do 10 minutes for $100."

• Paid Members

Guess I wouldn't know Jay Leno of not for WCW either.

...If not for wrestling.

I thought about this recently after hearing the Alice Cooper song "Schools out" on Homes under the hammer! If not for WM3, I'm not sure I'd have ever heard of Alice Cooper.

Ah come on Rick. Leno and Cooper are probably in the top percentile of famous people in the world even among famous people, and have been for several decades. Have you never heard of Leno being referenced by Family Guy or The Simpsons? Or seen Cooper's cameo in Wayne's World?

I've not seen Wayne's World for decades. I cannot think of anything else I've seen him in.

I don't watch Simpsons or Family Guy much. I've seen Leno in a couple of things fleetingly and only recognised him because I knew him from WCW.

• Paid Members

I find it hard to believe anybody would make it through their entire life without ever once encountering Poison or School's Out by Alice Cooper...

Shooter Jennings is probably my very favourite musical artist, and the only one I've ever crossed an ocean to see live, as a result of wrestling.

I liked James Storm's first post-AMW theme song a lot, found out it was a rip-off of a Shooter track, and it all started from there.

He's big mates with Curtis Axel, Fandango & Adam Rose now, so it's all come a bit full circle.

Its funny isn't it? The WWE is basically a worldwide brand but wouldn't dream of having a major footballer on the show (which the rest of the world would know who he is if not the Americans). But they have no problem getting these lads on that no-one outside north America would have a clue who they are.

They did do one of their shots of Mourinho in the crowd at a UK Raw ages ago with his sons. Shane McMahon even mentioned him in the ring during his promo. Bit yeah I know what you mean, they'd never have a footballer actually get in the ring or build up to a big event.

• Paid Members

I find it hard to believe anybody would make it through their entire life without ever once encountering Poison or School's Out by Alice Cooper...

I'm prepared to accept that I might have discovered Alice Cooper at some other point in the last 25 years! 

Its funny isn't it? The WWE is basically a worldwide brand but wouldn't dream of having a major footballer on the show (which the rest of the world would know who he is if not the Americans). But they have no problem getting these lads on that no-one outside north America would have a clue who they are.

They did do one of their shots of Mourinho in the crowd at a UK Raw ages ago with his sons. Shane McMahon even mentioned him in the ring during his promo. Bit yeah I know what you mean, they'd never have a footballer actually get in the ring or build up to a big event.

They wouldn't have a footballer on the show but they're happy for JBL to moan about the Arsenal/Chelsea referee on commentary!

Didn't Vinnie Jones do something at a PPV once? Pretty sure it was a UK only one but that's probably the closest to someone not known in Anerica appearing in WWE (unless Jones is known in America or unless I'm just making this up.)

Bob Barker. I guessed from his guest host spots that he was the US equivalent of Les Dennis or something.

Only knew him as the angry old guy in Happy Gilmore.

Laurence Taylor I thought was a legit wrestler who just disappeared off the face of the Earth, wasnt until many years later I found out who he was.

Wrestlemania was the first time Ive ever been able to put a face to Ronda Rousey. Id heard of her but Ive no interest in MMA so wouldnt have ever recognised her before 'mania.

Archived