Lets bang on about Awesome Storylines Thread!

WWFChilli

• Paid Members

Storylines. Long ass drawn out, multi-layered storylines are the biz. Even today with angles like Ambrose/Rollins (until it all went a bit pear near the end) can have awesome months on months builds and keep people invested. This is a thread to just bang on about great storylines. Go nuts in detail, bang on about them. For my first choice I want to crow about an angle that as a kid was to me just one famous moment and a match, that in retrospect had some many woven layers of interest and subtlety, that looking a the whole thing is just enthralling stuff, it's why we are fans. I'm banging on about this bad boy.

andre-hulk.jpg

HOGAN & ANDRE

The angle that ran into this featured an old angle in which Andre was suspended by WWF President Jack Tunney. To fuck with Bobby Heenan, Andre and some mates, threw some masks on, pretended to be Japanese and tagged under 'The Machines' gimmick. Andre then went off to film the Princess Bride and the Machines angle died off. But not before it was announced that Andre had been reinstated by Tunney. This was put across with an interview in London where Andre was interviewed by some bloke called Gary Davie and he insisted he had some big surprises for when he came back. At the time, this was completely innocuous, nobody really took much stock in that statement, the fans and certainly I would have taken it as, the big awesome Giant is back to fight the villains. What did raise some slight suspicion was that Andre didn't even bother to attend his meeting about his reinstatement, but Bobby Heenan did. What was discussed or said remained a lock and key issue.

This of course bled into the very beginning of 1987 and an absolutely top draw series of angles on Piper's Pit. The first of which carried some absolutely brilliant subtleties.

Pit #1 involved the first of two trophy presentations from Jack Tunney. He reads off a right blowjob of a proclamation about Hogan's three years as WWF Champion, intercut with some footage of Hogan being awesome before old Tel comes out and soaks in the adulation and cuts a typical brilliant Hogan promo. In the latter stages of his speech, Andre enters, in his return to WWF Superstars (he did appear on an episode of The Snake Pit on Challenge where Roberts questioned his reinstatement by Andre smiled and said nothing). Now here, the production team and whoever laid this out do something bloody genius.

20dbfc2c73959544442efa1b24c74789.jpg

Andre from behind puts his hands on Hogan and Pipers shoulders, and the camera cuts to Hogans face as this happens. Hogan has an amazing look of subtle shock at seeing Andre, and it takes him a fair second or two to jolt back into Hogan mode, applauding Andre. Piper (who I'll get to about his contribution to all of this) asks Andre about Hogan's title reign. Andre's face changes ever so slightly before just opining 'Three years to be a champion, it's a long time'. At this point Piper then tries to get a few more words out but Andre just no sells it. He then shakes Hogan hand and gives it a squeeze. Hogan seems the tiniest bit off-put by this gesture but then shakes it off as just Andre fooling about. After all, this is Andre, the man who celebrated his title win in 1984, his bloody good mate.

This takes us to Pit #2 just a week later. Once again, its trophy day on Superstars. Jack Tunney is out again to read another speech, this time commemorating Andre's 15 year undefeated streak. Andre comes out, waves to fans, quite touched by the award. Piper asks if he has anything to say and Andre takes it in for a moment. Just as he begins talking, Hogan rushes on to the Pit and begins singing Andre's praises while Andre holds his trophy aloft, waving to to the fans. Hogan gives Andre the world, he talks about how he patterned his career after Andre and how he idolized how conducted himself with children, his fair play, his sportsmanship, everything. At this moment Hogan asks for everyone to recognize Andre, but at this point, the Giant has just subtly walked off the set. Hogan comments how that shows just how modest Andre is and applauds him. Piper half agrees but seems a lot more confused than Hogan does, though Hogan does give a subtle shrug of confusion when Piper off mic asks him what the hell that was about. 

Since Andre's reinstatement however, one person has smelt a rat. That person being Jesse Ventura, who joins Piper on the Pit #3 to give us a classic Jesse conspiracy theory. He wonders aloud why Andre didn't attend his reinstatement meeting but Heenan did. Jesse just thinks (and quite bloody rightly) that something just isn't right. The information Jesse says he thinks he has obtained is bigger than Watergate, and Piper thinks he's talking bollocks. Jesse accuses of Hogan of ducking people in the past, before Piper puts him to rights that he fought both Andre and Hogan and proclaims neither ducks opponents. Jesse then goes on about the two trophies, which are on the set, noting the size different and quality between Hogan and Andre's trophies. Jesse and Piper nearly come to blows before Jesse offers the option that if he can produce Andre, can Piper produce Hogan? Piper actually hesitates for a second before saying he can. This is a magnificent segment, Piper is an absolutely incredible part of the this angle (his best is yet to come) and Jesse coming out and shit stirring is amazing, plus Piper's slight apprehension is great subtle playing that he may have just clicked what could be going on, but even Piper himself doesn't want to believe or say it out loud.

This leads to of course, the most famous angle of the storyline. On Pit #4 Jesse and Piper are on hand to bring out their guests. Hogan is out first but not long after is Andre, led by Bobby freaking Heenan. Andre at this point is completely transformed. The smiling Giant from the first two segments is replaced by a cold, glaring, silent monster. Hogan's wonders why Andre is with Heenan. He goes on and on about how much Andre has meant to his career and his life, Heenan tries to interrupt, but Hogan carries on. He offers Andre the chance to walk away from Heenan and talk it out. Heenan then gets on the mic and accuses Hogan of never offering a title shot to Andre. He says he USED Andre, they gave him a trophy and Hogan gatecrashed it and took away Andre's moment (which he did, but I'll explain). Hogan puts his hands on Andre's shoulders and practically begs the Giant. Andre just glares at him and barks 'Take your hands off my shoulders'. It's amazing work from Andre, he's absolutely terrifying in this segment, just completely emotionless. He then lifts up Hogan's face by the chin and says he wants a World Title match at WRESTLEMANIA.

11623548.jpg

Hogan just doesn't get it. 'We're FRIENDS Andre, please'. At this point, to make a statement, Andre rips off Hogan's shirt. Andre possibly fucks this up, because not only does he rip the shirt, he also rips off Hogan's crucifix and his fingernail opens a gash on Hogan's chest. For what I think is a genuinely minor botch, it adds a million extra layers of brilliance on the close-out to the segment. Andre just walks off with Heenan in tow, Ventura follows and even he looks a bit shocked at the events. Hogan is on his knees, completely broken, saying 'we're friends Andre' over and over. At this point Piper clocks that Hogan is legit bleeding and just says to Hogan. 'You're bleeding'. Hogan doesn't even clock onto this, just carrying on before Piper cuts him off and says 'No. You, you're bleeding', gets a confused Hogan to his feet and the segment slowly ends with Hogan looking like his world has completely crashed.

piperspit_display_image.jpg?1297749936

Powerful stuff, an absolutely amazing angle in just over 4 minutes. Everyone plays it to perfection and gets put over. Andre is now a cold heel, Heenan is shown to be a master puppeteer, Ventura is shown to be right in his convictions, Hogan is a completely broken man who has lost his friend and mentor and Piper just sells the realism of it all. It's enthralling stuff. Just incredible, the little touches in these segments are so well thought out.

Piper recaps the events of the last few weeks in Pit #5. He then talks about what happened after last weeks segment and how Hulk, just sat there backstage confused at the events, completely broken. He brings Hogan out who arrives, carrying his crucifix and torn shirt, with bandages on his chest over the cut from Andre. We need an answer for the challenge though? Will Hogan accept the challenge to fight Andre? First though Piper wants to know what's the deal with Andre. He asks Hulk to look him in the eyes and every time Hogan looks away Piper tells him to look him in the eye again. Piper's ace. Hogan goes on about how Andre was a friend, an idol to him. He could never be as big as Andre, but he could be like him. It was important to Hogan, because Andre was role model. When he saw Andre with Heenan, Hulk decides that maybe then he saw the greed, the jealousy, the money or whatever got into Andre's head that he never seen before. Piper gets him to the point. Andre made the challenge, will he accept? Hogan fucking growls 'YYYEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS', EVERYONE goes mental and BOOM, WE JUST SOLD US A WRESTLEMANIA.

There is some great follow up segments after that. Piper gets Andre/Heenan on the Pit a few weeks later and Heenan goes off about how full of shit Hogan is and used Andre, which even features a cameo from Lou Albano, who stays sober enough to cut a great little promo on Andre asking why he's done what he did. It's a great little moment as Andre looks off looking actually a bit forlorn before Albano mentioning Hogan, sets off the Giant, and he stalks Lou off the set. We also get the famous 'Andre WWF Title' Pit where Jack Tunney produces the specially designed title to fit Andre should he be victorious. Heck, Andre, Heenan, Ventura and Gene Okerlund even took over the VJ links of Friday Night Videos to constantly hard sell the match in some incredibly entertaining segments. That is then all topped off with a 20 Man Battle Royal in the March SNME in which Hogan and Andre collided very briefly with Andre throwing Hogan out of the match after some vicious headbutts. There is of course finally, the famous contract signing.

Fucking hell. It's just magnificent. Everyone in every segment is astounding. Heenan is particular once he enters the angle is an absolute riot just ripping into Hogan and making demands all over the place for Andre's eventual title win. Mania III technically isn't even the end either. Post Mania III, Heenan and Andre disputed the finish which led to Survivor Series and Andre being the sole survivor, Ted DiBiasi entering the scene and procuring Andre to take the title for him, Savage enters, The Mega Powers and a massive tag match with Jesse Ventura the original shit stirrer as referee. It all entwines so much. I'd write about all that but I would take forever. Maybe I'll do a second part. Anyway, go ahead.

• Paid Members

Excellent post, Chilli.

My favourite storyline ever is probably the Bret Hart heel turn in March 1997. I have the brilliant 12 disc Hart Foundation compilation that someone put together which starts with the Bret/Austin match at Survivor Series 1996 and runs to the aftermath of Survivor Series 1997.

It was a story that started long before SS 96 though with the screwy ending to that tedious Iron Man match at WM 12 originally providing a platform for a re-match a year later but actually providing the motivation for Bret to feel angst towards the WWF and the fans. He disappeared for six months afterwards before being antagonised by Steve Austin into coming back.

In January 1997 there is an excellent angle on Raw where Bret quits the WWF only for Monsoon to entice him back with a promise of a title shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fWpJ25pC4Y

The story in this middle stage is obviously set-up for heroic babyface Bret to overcome the odds at WresteMania despite all of the hurdles being put in his way. However the growing popularity of Steve Austin and the real life disdain Bret & HBK feel for each other drive the story in another, brilliant direction.

The WM title match goes for a burton when Shawn suffers his career ending knee injury and instead, we get a continuation of the Bret/Austin feud. I don't know at which point they decide to turn Bret because Austin remains the crude heel throughout this rivalry but the growing frustration in Bret keeps coming out in matches and interviews as he becomes more aggressive and exasperated.

Obviously everyone knows about the match at WM13 in which they effectively turn Bret & Austin. A week later, Bret recruits Owen and Davey and forms the new Hart Foundation.

The most genius part of the story comes after WM13 when the WWF do two things that were out of character. Firstly they continued to write Austin's character as if he was a heel only the objects of his ire were other heels. So he was a babyface but he didn't lose a bit of the take-no-shit attitude fans had grown to like in the first place.

Secondly, they had Bret only turn his back on the fans in the US. A seriously smart move that protected a cash cow in other parts of the world, because don't forget that as great as 1997 was critically - business was still shit, and created a wrestling war that made guys heels in one country and babyfaces in others generating some of the hottest atmospheres there have been in US wrestling.

The story became Canada vs. USA essentially but managed to encompass Bret vs. Austin, Bret vs. Undertaker, Bret vs. Shawn, Bret vs. Patriot, Harts vs. DX, Austin vs. Owen & Bulldog, Pillman vs. Goldust and loads more.

Bret threw himself into it all big style and produced by far his best ever promo work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JjtOaAtuY0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oesqCPtimBg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqAP8qMrguc

This story also created the "Attitude" era. But that's another thread!

• Paid Members

I don't know at which point they decide to turn Bret because Austin remains the crude heel throughout this rivalry but the growing frustration in Bret keeps coming out in matches and interviews as he becomes more aggressive and exasperated.

Bret says Vince talked to him (and convinced him, obviously) about turning heel on the day of the Sunday 9th March 1997 house show in Springfield, MA. The next night on Raw is when Austin really went to town on what a crybaby Bret was and how he got his way by whining and complaning, and they made the announcement of the Sid/Bret cage match for the title the week after, the tantrum after which stands out in my mind as being the time I really sat up and thought "Jesus, if they're not careful here, they'll turn Bret heel, because he's coming off as a dick."

• Paid Members

I don't know at which point they decide to turn Bret because Austin remains the crude heel throughout this rivalry but the growing frustration in Bret keeps coming out in matches and interviews as he becomes more aggressive and exasperated.

Bret says Vince talked to him (and convinced him, obviously) about turning heel on the day of the Sunday 9th March 1997 house show in Springfield, MA. The next night on Raw is when Austin really went to town on what a crybaby Bret was and how he got his way by whining and complaning, and they made the announcement of the Sid/Bret cage match for the title the week after, the tantrum after which stands out in my mind as being the time I really sat up and thought "Jesus, if they're not careful here, they'll turn Bret heel, because he's coming off as a dick."

That's even later than I imagined. They took a hell of a chance with that one. I know they had Austin coming through but they weren't awash with drawing cards and to potentially damage a guy you had so much invested in was a huge risk.

• Paid Members

From a business point of view, the double turn made sense for Bret, and the potential opponents either way is what convinced Bret that it did once he saw it all written down. Other than Austin, he thought he'd do better out of lining up matches with Taker and eventually Shawn than Mankind and Vader. Certainly being positioned as top heel would have been more attractive than fighting for top babyface spot. Which is one of the reasons he was so pissed off when they turned Shawn later in the year.

• Paid Members

HHH-Batista was arguably the last *great* storyline as far as building up a match (biggest PPV ever at the time) and creating a genuine new headliner. What really made it (or at least how I remember it) was that amid all the subtle on-screen hints of Batista gradually getting more pissed off with HHH and realising he had the ability to break through, the commentators never acknowledged or dwelled on the tension, which made you feel smarter as a viewer for noticing the growing problems. It's a classic case of a storyline that worked because it was utterly predictable, even if the precise timing wasn't obvious. (When Batista had HHH on his shoulders after the Elimination Chamber I was *dying* for him to do the turn.) I don't think I've ever been so excited waiting for TV as the week you had Batista announcing his chosen title match for Mania (ie the turn was coming), followed by Ultimate Fighter with Leben-Koschek.

The above is absolute proof that angles don't need to be surprising to work. We all knew it was coming which made that moment even more satisfying. They were patient with it too, they never rushed it. I'm not actually sure a modern WWE audience would be willing to go with it for all that time but maybe I'm being overly cynical.

It's a shame it's so easy to forget how over Batista was as a babyface. People really wanted him to give Triple H a smacking and really were devastated when he later vacated the title. People just believed in him at a certain point.

The whole angle would have been pitch perfect if it wasn't for that segment with the invisible camera where Batista overheard Triple H and Flair spilling the beans. As you say, the viewer felt smart for picking up on the tension within evolution, but it also seemed implicit to the storyline that Batista was fully aware that Triple H was scared of him and had been behind the whole JBL/limo hoax.

e5SRuLO.jpg

As it turns out Batista was apparently oblivious all along and only kicked off when he heard Trips stirring the shite with Naitch, which means Batista is less insightful than the television audience and was apparently cool with Triple H being an evil bastard for the past however many months. That segment was so out of step with how intelligently the rest of the angle had been booked, it was a real shame.

• Paid Members

HHH-Batista was arguably the last *great* storyline as far as building up a match

Yeah, I'm going to make the argument. The winner for me in terms of most recent example of a match with a great storyline supporting the build with a backstory and the repercussions coming out of it is............

tumblr_nn9hzoLjeY1svsahho1_400.jpg

In terms of ideas and execution, the build for this match is one of my favourites of all time. You don't get a more simple premise than "one wrestler wants to have a match with another wrestler because he wants to beat him and prove that he's better" and this is, for me, the best delivery of that story you could ask for.

The backstory is straightforward - Shawn Michaels, one of the best wrestlers of all time, had a match with The Undertaker at WrestleMania XXV because he wanted to do what nobody else had, beat The Undertaker at a WrestleMania, because in his mind, that's who he is. He does what nobody else can do. It was a terrific match, but he lost. Now, we'll never really know whether that loss had been eating him up the whole time, or whether the thought just hit him in the heat of the moment, but the build for this began in earnest at the 2009 "Slammys" Raw......

"Undertaker..... I can beat you."

tumblr_nn9hzoLjeY1svsahho4_400.jpg

So, the Slammy is being given out for Match Of The Year. Shawn comes out and in the opposite of his 1997 "I won that match (tee hee!)" acceptance he refers to himself as coming up short but still being proud of the match, and almost walks away from the podium.... but doesn't. The wheels turn his mind and he turns back to the podium and pauses, clearly thinking "Do I want to do this?" I don't know whether it was pre-meditated or intentional for Shawn to look as though he was allowing the "HBK" chants to influence him, but that's how I interpret it, and then with one line, Michaels changes his destiny : "You know something? Undertaker..... I can beat you." He transforms in an instant from humble to determined and having watched this Raw unspoiled, this moment felt like a "holy shit" moment, even though it wasn't anything revolutionary, just one man issuing a challenge to another man. Sometimes you don't need the razmatazz.

WATCH : youtube.com/watch?v=JmQQdvkvFbg&t=3m00s

"No."

This was a stroke of genius. In a form of entertainment built on macho bravado, for Undertaker to turn Michaels down face to face (and send him off the deep end) is what makes the rest of the storyline what it is. Undertaker almost seems to worry about what it might do to Shawn (he's right) and pity him. It's a shame that for a moment they use the segment to bait the live crowd into thinking that they're getting that match on the night, but whatever. Shawn has to win the Rumble to get Undertaker back in the ring at Mania, assuming he's still champion. Should be fine, he's only wrestling Rey at the Rumble, right? No problems. And Shawn can beat 29 guys. Easy.

"My career is over."

tumblr_nn9hzoLjeY1svsahho2_400.jpg

Shawn goes into the 2010 Rumble the sentimental favourite and enters a brilliant performance, eliminating his best mate Triple H to show how much it means to him, and generally giving his best display of desperately clinging on and clawing at anything to stay in since 1995. When he's finally eliminated by Batista (the cunt!!) he goes nuts, getting back in and superkicking guys still in, and when the ref tries to tell him to leave because - well, he's out - he gets one too. Forget Edge, that Rumble is all about HBK's meltdown. It's breathtaking.

Now, the 8th February SmackDown is where Shawn completely loses it. Everyone probably remembers his line to Hunter of "my career is over" as he essentially realizes he's not bothered about losing the tag belts and marches off, but just look at the conviction with which he plays nutcase, trying to bargain his way into the SmackDown Elimination Chamber match with Teddy Long. Just brilliant.

WATCH : youtube.com/watch?v=FodgslTX3DU

The above is absolute proof that angles don't need to be surprising to work.

Boom.

tumblr_nn9hzoLjeY1svsahho3_400.jpg

Going into Elimination Chamber, we all knew what was going to happen. Edge as Royal Rumble winner meant that the logical opponent for him was Chris Jericho if Jericho held a title, Jericho was in the Elimination Chamber for Undertaker's belt, and Undertaker would be free to fight Shawn (and have motivation to do so) if Shawn found a way to interfere causing Undertaker to lose the belt to Jericho. Yes, it was obvious, but the execution was still amazing. Shawn comes out from under the ring to superkick Taker when his guard is down, and the look of self-loathing on his face as he allows Y2J - the man who nearly cost him his sight and punched his wife, remember - to take the pin and win the World Heavyweight title, is brilliant. To his credit Jericho plays his part in the caution with which he covers Undertaker, not taking his eyes off Michaels in disbelief that a mortal enemy is apparently assisting him in winning the title he covets so much.

"You're on."

tumblr_nn9hzoLjeY1svsahho5_400.jpg

Next night on Raw, Shawn comes down to make the explanation we didn't need, and Undertaker comes out to accept the rematch as we knew he would. Predictable is not a bad thing when it's what the people want. Undertaker lays down the caveat that he wants Shawn's career on the line because "This year won't be enough" now he's seen the lengths Michaels will go to. It's very humanizing for Undertaker in terms of the levels of restraint he shows considering what your typical Undertaker revenge mission looks like, bearing in mind he's just lost a World title. Shawn accepts without hesitation (save a pause for dramatic effect) because suddenly, this is all he has left.

WATCH : youtube.com/watch?v=jINjTPxTMw4

DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE PLACEBO VIDEO.

Well, don't. I'll be honest, this video tells you the story better than I could with a million words. The distortion, reverse play, slow-motion, everything about this production is amazing. Possibly my favourite five minutes of wrestling of the decade.

The Match

I don't need to tell you about the match, do I? This thread is about the storyline. You know what happens in the match. Shawn gets the shit kicked out of him, manages to make us think he still might win (even though deep down we know he's losing) and then doesn't. Go watch it, if you want.

"Shawn Michaels has left the building."

Shawn comes out the next night and cuts his emotional goodbye speech. Even as a Bret Hart fan, conditioned for years to hate the little prick, it made me well up a bit. I especially was impressed that Shawn used his "left the building" line from 92-93 since I had thought earlier in the day that I would have worked that in for the fans that have followed him the whole time, but assumed he wouldn't. I was very pleased that he did.

WATCH : youtube.com/watch?v=CKqXzizPXUk

The aftermath was that Shawn's unsuccessful quest was woven into the storyline for Triple H's own crusade to end The Streak, although personally I prefer Max Landis' version of that particular story.

There you go. That's my favourite storyline of possibly the last ten years and definitely the last five. It's based 100% on simple emotions and desires that we can all understand, the need to win, the need to be the best, to prove something to yourself, jealousy, self-doubt, frustration, revenge. It provokes and ellicits an emotional response and builds the match up without hyperbole as one of the biggest matches they ever put on, and it deserved its' status of going on last at WrestleMania. A great job by everyone involved in terms of writers, production staff, bit part players like Hunter, Jericho and even Teddy Long and Batista for their small parts, and of course the two guys in the middle.

• Paid Members

That is indeed an excellent post, air_raid, and I agree with it in terms of being the last truly great and epic storyline WWE have put on, but Lister did say "in terms of building up a match AND creating a genuine headliner".

• Paid Members

That is indeed an excellent post, air_raid, and I agree with it in terms of being the last truly great and epic storyline WWE have put on, but Lister did say "in terms of building up a match AND creating a genuine headliner".

Oops.

not going to go into the detail that the other guys did but for me it would be either the Mega Powers complete run leading from WM4 to WM5 and beyond or, whilst not a massive match in todays terms the whole build up to Sabu vs Taz at Barely Legal was massive for ECW

Archived