"The Wrong Guy Went Over"

Liam O'Rourke

A mate of mine bumped into Scott Hall at the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas yesterday. I've seen a photo for proof. For what it's worth, apparently Big Scott was miffed that Wyatt didn't go over Undertaker at Mania too.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Late 80s Luger was fucking great, 1996/97 Luger's not half as bad as people would have you believe, and the Total Package era was just wonderful hammy fun. I've loads of time for Flexy Lexy.

• Paid Members

97 Luger was in a tough spot.

They had the end game of Sting being the hero, (which was botched big time in my book, but thats another story) and Hogan/NWO had to look like an unstoppable force by that point.

However they had time to fill and keep inetresting, as such he had to look good but never be alowed to be the man, other wise it takes the shine of sting a bit in the end (which they did any way).

I think Luger could really put in a showing when he was motivated. His matches with flair, while all following a similar format, are just class.

Nothing gets me off the seat and roaring like him no selling those chops and flexing like a roided up hulk.

His pilerdrive looks the shits though.

Other than during the Team Package days at the end of WCW (where he was highly amusing as a self-aware shithead), has Luger ever been a good promo?

I'm going through all the old Nitro shows at the minute (only into the first year) and Luger is a monotone shouter almost all the time - really fucking boring and annoying. I can't actually ever remember a particularly good promo from any other period either. No catchphrases, classic promos, brilliant exchanges or anything like that? Was perhaps that why he was always a "nearly man" when it came to the proper top spot and big runs with the belt? 

Flair and Hogan are way more charismatic on the mic, Sting is way more likable and guys like Bret Hart and Shawn sounded far less like roid-headed idiots. Maybe if Luger had the mic skills to hype up an arena like the Hulkster could Vince would have given him a proper run?

This isn't meant as a Luger cuss, by the way. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but thinking back I just can't ever remember being actually entertained or hyped up for anything because of anything Lex ever said. He always looked the part and was a hard worker early on, but lacked the extra x-factor /charisma to be a true top guy in the long run.

King Pitcos, I understand that but why have Sandow win the Money in the Bank briefcase for a World Heavyweight Title shot knowing that the Title would be getting unified? They must have been aware they'd be unifying it.

Also I think having Sandow win to only hold the Title for a short period would have been better than having him lose his cash in to Cena. If he had been the Champion before or was viewed as a strong main eventer I would have been okay with the loss but guys like Sandow will only get hurt in the long run if they lose their cash-in match. Just look at what happened to him after that, he became a comedy character.

For up and coming talent who win Money in the Bank it should be used as a stepping stone and even if they do end up losing they should be made to look strong. Although I do love Money in the Bank I do feel that is the major flaw with it, if it's going to be a up and coming talent with it they should never lose their cash in whilst already established Championship challengers and main eventers could risk losing.

• Moderators

I remember Sandow used to get great pops and I used to love his Intellectual Saviour gimmick as I imagine a lot did too. A loss for Cena would not have been bad at all considering how a cash in can take place when the Champion is down and out. He could have been built up as such an awesome heel Champion

You've answered your own question there. Awesome heels don't get pops, or at least shouldn't. Anyway, I don't think I could ever buy him as anything other than a midcarder anyway. Too gimmicky in a non-undertaker way. It's a real mid-card gimmick

• Awards Moderator

I always got the feeling Sandow's MITB win was meant to benefit Cody Rhodes rather than Sandow himself. All through the match Cody was looking like the favourite and then Sandow cheated him out of the win. It felt more like it was intended to set up a Former Partners Feud for Cody to win at Summerslam than to set up Sandow as a top title contender.

• Paid Members

Cody's never really done it, has he? He and baby Ted did fine for themselves in Legacy but the split was meant to be a vehicle to make stars of them, and didn't. "Dashing" Cody Rhodes is a by and large forgotten gimmick now. Broken Mirrors could have been a proper decent tag team, but that got aborted. He went over Randy while Intercontinental champion and had the better of him as part of Team Barrett in a big Survivors match, but that went nowhere. He and Sandow seemed on the cusp of becoming kings of the tag team division but they never, and the split that seemed to make a proper babyface star of him just failed to launch until he, Goldust and Oldust got embroiled in an issue with The Shield. And now he's back going seemingly nowhere. The stars just don't want to line up for Stardust, do they? He's capable of being half of perfectly good tag teams, but a singles star, it seems he'll never be.

King Pitcos, I understand that but why have Sandow win the Money in the Bank briefcase for a World Heavyweight Title shot knowing that the Title would be getting unified? They must have been aware they'd be unifying it.

I'm not sure they were aware of it. They tried to make out like it was a huge event but only built the match for about 3 weeks. I can't remember why it came to pass but they were panicking about something... or was it just that the WHC really was "The shit belt" by that point and they decided to get rid?

I don't think they were aware at the point he won the case. It was only when Cena came back and won the world title that they came up with the unification plan, to try and get a decent number on a TLC PPV that had nothing else going for it. And they had to eliminate the blue briefcase from play then.

• Paid Members

Another vote for Cena beating Lesnar at Extreme Rules 2012, but as that has already been discussed I will go for:

Kurt Angle beating Bobby Roode, Bound for Glory 2011

I remember commenting to a mate in about June 2011 that Roode was the best thing in all of wrestling.  TNA was getting behind him at this point, and over the summer he went on to win the first ever Bound for Glory series, which seemed like a significant achievement at the time (before TNA inevitably messed later BFG series' up).  I can still remember the finals night at No Surrender 2011, being really chuffed Roode won.  TNA then spent a month promoting Roode as this dedicated babyface in a series of vignettes, conducting interviews with members of his family, showing him training.  He was also (I think) massively over at the time too.  Angle had been a heel champ for a few months and it seemed certain he would drop the belt on the night to give that big show feel good ending.

As it turned out, the match was nowhere near the high standards most expected, and I think it got cut short too on time due to Sting v Hogan running long.  Bizarrely Angle won with an Angle slam, a move he never wins with, holding onto the rope during the cover for some 1980s style "extra leverage" heat.  It was all such a let down in many ways.  I remember watching it and waiting for some authority figure to come out and overrule the decision and restart the match, but the PPV just ended in such an incredibly flat manner.

Roode had been built up over months and months to win, and lost credibility with the loss on the night.  To make matters worse, Angle dropped the belt to James Storm at the next impact in a 30s defeat.  While this allowed Roode to turn heel, a role I think he did well, I feel there was a lot of mileage left in him as the ultra good guy face, and the logical story would have been for him to win the gold and Storm to slowly become jealous, turn heel, and set up a feud which could last for months.  But this is TNA, and so I guess logic did not apply.

I agree that Brock Lesnar was the right man an time to beat Taker as it built him up like a monster and then his beatings of Cena and Reigns meant even more. Plus as people have said, whoever beats him now will get a massive rub.

The only thing I'm not keen on is turning him babyface. They need to keep him heel until somebody vanquishes the beast and conquers the man who conquered the streak. That needs to be a face who does that. Once that has happened then Brock can become a good guy. Turn him now and whoever beats him will get a rub but It won't have the same reaction as if he stays heel destroying people until David comes to beat Goliath

Impossible currently, though. The usuals will always shit on anyone built to that position because it's forced down their throats, and WWE will apparently always shit themselves and abandon plans as a result. Removing the endgame from play kind of negates the tear Lesnar's been on for the last year, but the way to swing it into a positive is to make him the bad-ass babyface.

Archived