having things spoilt for you - MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Slapnuts

The worse one for me was last year. Wrestlemania 30, was planning on watching it on Monday after work so avoided everything. Not a single person I work with watches wrestling so I was pretty safe there. We have Radio 1 playing in the background, got to be safe there?

The one event they report on during a newsbeat (Ive never heard any wrestling mentioned on Radio 1) and its Brock beating Undertaker. That wasn't even the result I was avoiding, it was the main event little did I expect Brock to win

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Last years Mania was the worst for me. I've never spoken wrestling with anyone i work with, yet the day after Mania last year a random manager came up for literally seconds after my shift had started (i planned on watching Mania after work on the Monday evening) and said 'The Undertaker lost last night then', absolute tosser. I'm not usually that bothered but i try to make the effort for Wrestlemania.

I've never spoken about wrestling with or heard him talk about it to anyone ever again.

• Awards Moderator

This is like the Super Bowl (timely). Suddenly after spending 364 days not talking about American Football, every news bulletin from 6am onwards on Monday feels the need to tell you who won. Cunts the lot of 'em.

I don't get wrestling shows spoiled for me anymore because I just avoid the two places that used to spoil them for me - Facebook and Twitter. And none of my friends follow wrestling any more so I don't have to worry about one of them ruining it. I can;'t remember the last PPV that someone spoiled for me, it was probably back in the earl 2000s.

I get the football spoilt for me all the bloody time though! I like to watch MOTD on Saturday and Sunday nights without knowing the scores beforehand, this is something the players at my two football clubs know and they LOVE to ruin by waiting until I'm in earshot and then loudly shouting out the latest scores. The bastards!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

In one sentence, I've just had Battleground spoilt on Facebook by a mate. I shouldn't have gone on today but I honestly thought Battleground would be a "nothing important" PPV. 

Yeah okay, so I shouldn't have gone on Facebook, but c.mawn, 6 hours after the event (and it was a friend in the UK)! So how long before a Facebook status would be acceptable for you guys? With the time difference and knowing that a lot of peeps watch a Sunday night PPV on Monday evening after work, if I've watched something live, I tend to wait till late Monday evening to even consider posting something on FB. Even then I don't like like to make it conclusive. I'd post something along the lines of "WOW,  (PPV name)  was amazing!!" then mates know whether or not to continue reading/get invloved on the convo. Kinda like titling a thread topic in here.

• Paid Members

I think it's a bit weird to have technology and information available worldwide in seconds, yet expect a 2-day embargo on discussing a professional wrestling event. Forums are an exception as they're targeted conversations, so you can put in the title any spoiler rules as you say.

But if I go on social media I wholly expect that results, spoilers etc will be in full flow immediately after an event. So it's a decision I make. Do I check Facebook and Twitter knowing I'll most likely happen across spoilers too?

In one sentence, I've just had Battleground spoilt on Facebook by a mate. I shouldn't have gone on today but I honestly thought Battleground would be a "nothing important" PPV. 

Yeah okay, so I shouldn't have gone on Facebook, but c.mawn, 6 hours after the event (and it was a friend in the UK)! So how long before a Facebook status would be acceptable for you guys?

It doesn't even matter if someone has posted a status or not - the news ticker on the side had the spoiler as soon as I went to the site. I had already read the results so that was okay, but you should just know to not visit Facebook or Twitter at all if you don't want it spoiled.

• Paid Members

Yeah okay, so I shouldn't have gone on Facebook, but c.mawn, 6 hours after the event (and it was a friend in the UK)! So how long before a Facebook status would be acceptable for you guys? With the time difference and knowing that a lot of peeps watch a Sunday night PPV on Monday evening after work, if I've watched something live, I tend to wait till late Monday evening to even consider posting something on FB. Even then I don't like like to make it conclusive. I'd post something along the lines of "WOW,  (PPV name)  was amazing!!" then mates know whether or not to continue reading/get invloved on the convo. Kinda like titling a thread topic in here.

Sorry, I disagree. If you don't want something spoiled just avoid going on social media till you do. For me, WM Monday is a no go for any social media. Why should the world wait for you to watch something?

I think it's a bit weird to have technology and information available worldwide in seconds, yet expect a 2-day embargo on discussing a professional wrestling event.

2-day embargo? Surely it'd only be like 20-ish hours? But still, your point still holds water, I agree. I'm not pissed at the person that wrote the status and I didn't write "oi you git" on his status. Once it's been aired then it's up to me/you/anyone to avoid likely spoilers I completely agree with that. I'll rephrase my question a bit maybe.

How long until a spoiler is no longer a spoiler, and just idle chit-chat?

• Paid Members

I think it's a bit weird to have technology and information available worldwide in seconds, yet expect a 2-day embargo on discussing a professional wrestling event.

2-day embargo? Surely it'd only be like 20-ish hours?

Yeah, that was just an arbitrary period of time I picked to make the point. I don’t think there’s an universal rule for spoiler periods. I think maybe two days is a good period. PPVs air on a Sunday night/early hours of a Monday morning, but if I went to work during the day on Monday but then had plans that Monday night, I may not be able to sit down and watch a three-hour show until the following evening.

Living in a world where information is able to be shared almost instantly is sucky for one-time events when you as an individual want to experience it firsthand without prior knowledge of the event.

Archived