Post of the Year 2015

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Speaking of Ian, he uncovers Triple H's strategy for WrestleMania beautifully in this post from Random Thoughts:

Surely if they have scarecrows for his entrance, Sting will walk out to the ramp and go "I dont fancy this, like" and walk back to the dressing room.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Butch in the Raw thread dealing with C-Rock's dribbling. 

Just from watching the highlights of Raw on wwe.com it's really apparent how mundane and lifeless the show has come. It's hardly must see TV, it feels as though they are just going through the motions and throwing together the obvious at the last minute.

There is very little in the way of star power on Raw these days and it doesn't say much for the young Superstars when WWE are still having to rely on a already established veteran in Brock Lesnar to bring some life to the show and even he looked like he couldn't be bothered.

It's embarrassing that WWE are still using the giant crash mat in this day and age, as was the case in the Owen's segment with Machine Gun Kelly. They made no attempt to even hide the fact it was a a crash mat who said wrestling is fake?....WWE did last night.

WWE has really lost its momentum and for me is flat-lining. The WWE Performance Centre and NXT may be bursting with talent but do we really want the WWE machine producing generic WWE Superstars and molding them to work a WWE style? You can be the best wrestler in the world and be able to do 650s and shooting star presses or whatever but if you havent got star power then your fucked and looking at the wrestlers in NXT they all seem to be able to do those flips and flops ike those in ROH or like the kind of wrestlers who perform in Community Centres up and down the UK in front of 50 people but the future isn't looking very bright. Samoa Joe, Kevin Owen's, Sami Zayn nobody in NXT can save WWE.

There are no potential mega stars left in wrestling anywhere in the world for WWE to discover. Any wrestler who has a decent look and can flip around is in with a chance of being signed to WWE Performance Centre, that's not great. WWE is having to roll out the tried and tested Tough Enough and scower the world to find potential talent because Triple H looked around the NXT locker room, sighed quietly and thought...The future of WWE is fucked.

You start by admitting you didn't actually watch the show and so I assume if you're not watching RAW you're not watching WWE, then you go on to critique the company. Good work. Already I can see that your argument, as ever, isn't the dribblings of someone who struggles not to piss on their hands but is instead coming from a place of knowledge and reasoning which allows you to argue from a position of strength.

"There is very little in the way of star power on Raw these days and it doesn't say much for the young Superstars when WWE are still having to rely on a already established veteran in Brock Lesnar to bring some life to the show and even he looked like he couldn't be bothered."

Indeed, with there being little star power on Raw how tragic is it that they're bring back their biggest star under contract? I mean how is bringing back their biggest star going to improve the lack of star power.

"It's embarrassing that WWE are still using the giant crash mat in this day and age, as was the case in the Owen's segment with Machine Gun Kelly. They made no attempt to even hide the fact it was a a crash mat who said wrestling is fake?....WWE did last night."

Quite right. When doing dangerous spots with people who've never taken a bump in their lives they really shouldn't use crash mats, after all it's not as if they crowd pop for someone taking a pop from the ramp due to it's height and don't think about what the landing takes place on. That's why the crowd would always been deathly quiet when someone would get chokeslammed off the ramp onto a table covered in a black sheet which would be hiding things to break the fall. The crowd would never make a peep, would they? Nor did they last night. The non-working rapper should have taken a flat back bump from height onto the concrete really for a similar crowd response, you know... just for 'fabe's sake.

"WWE has really lost its momentum and for me is flat-lining. The WWE Performance Centre and NXT may be bursting with talent but do we really want the WWE machine producing generic WWE Superstars and molding them to work a WWE style? You can be the best wrestler in the world and be able to do 650s and shooting star presses or whatever but if you havent got star power then your fucked and looking at the wrestlers in NXT they all seem to be able to do those flips and flops ike those in ROH or like the kind of wrestlers who perform in Community Centres up and down the UK in front of 50 people but the future isn't looking very bright. Samoa Joe, Kevin Owen's, Sami Zayn nobody in NXT can save WWE."

Indeed, it does my head in people like Tyler Breeze, Baron Corbin, Bull Dempsey, Mojo Rawley, Rhyno, Big Cass and all the rest doing all those moonsaults and "650" splashes. If only they worked a more simple style which told stories within the confines of a simply booked one hour show every week? That'd make more sense wouldn't it. And you're right about Samoa Joe, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn being unable to save WWE. I mean, Samoa Joe's been all over WWE TV as a face of the company and failed there miserably, Sami Zayn completely failed to get a rub off a very poor match with John Cena which the crowd shat on and didn't accept Sami Zayn, and Kevin Owens? Christ, where to begin? His whole run has been an utter calamity hasn't it? I mean, putting him over Cena in his first mainh roster match, on a PPV, cleanly. They'll never make a star that way. And the way they've portrayed and as on Cena's level afterwards is even more of a joke. I mean, how's he going to get over and be in a place he can draw if he's being put in those positions?

"There are no potential mega stars left in wrestling anywhere in the world for WWE to discover. Any wrestler who has a decent look and can flip around is in with a chance of being signed to WWE Performance Centre, that's not great. WWE is having to roll out the tried and tested Tough Enough and scower the world to find potential talent because Triple H looked around the NXT locker room, sighed quietly and thought...The future of WWE is fucked."

You're right. If Vince had any idea what he was doing he'd close the company now. It's damaged beyond repair. They're only on course to get 100,000 in the stadium for next years Wrestlemania. They're clearly fucked. HHH should commit Vince, cut his losses, and sell up to Global Force.

• Awards Moderator

I think it's alright by now to nominate a post with Money In The Bank spoilers in it. But if not:

THIS NOMINATION HAS MONEY IN THE BANK SPOILERS IN IT.

Anyway, I'm nominating it because I've had similar thoughts to this quite a lot while watching WWE this year, and Lister's explained them better than I ever could. The wrestling world's a crazy thing:

We occasionally have threads trying to predict wrestling 10 years in the future. Can you imagine how mental you'd have looked if you got everything right.

That Money In The Bank match from WrestleMania will be a PPV of its own, but you won't have to buy it on PPV because you can get it on WWE Network, which is a tenner a month service that lets you watch live PPVs, a weekly developmental show based around El Generico, the complete PPV/SNME/Clash archive plus hundreds of Raws, Smackdowns and Nitros, all on your computer, games console or the screen of your mobile phone. One catch is that there'll be no bookmark feature for Chris Benoit what with the whole killing his wife and son deal.

New Japan will have a similar service, and New Japan will actually be good again, and AJ Styles will be IWGP champ. There'll also be ondemand services for two British promotions that hardly use any imports. One will have just sold out a 700 seat building in 21 minutes, while the other will have regularly done crowds of 1,000-1,600 and be preparing to run a 5,000 seat venue, with its success based in no small part on a Scottish mainstream culture celebrity in the shape of The Lost Scot from this forum.

Anyway, back to Money In The Bank. Former WrestleMania main event winners American Dragon and The Miz off Tough Enough won't wrestle on the show. Neither will the man with the longest WWE title reign since Hogan, CM Punk - he'll be long gone and training for a UFC match.

The main event will be Tyler Black retaining the WWE title by beating Jon Moxley in a 35 minute ladder match, setting him up to fight former UFC Heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at SummerSlam.

Sheamus O'Shaunessy from Irish Whip Wrestling will win Money In The Bank, just beating out that Pac kid you may have heard about from tiny Northeast England indies.

Oh, and John Cena will still be going and won't yet have turned heel. He'll be doing a Canadian Destroyer on Kevin Steen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

A couple of people in the Random Thoughts thread didn't get this, but it's a brilliant little analysis by Ian on the pitfalls of the high-risk-big-bump style:

Watched Benoit vs Angle from 2001 (the cage match) the other day for the first time in years. Angle takes a German suplex off the top rope, which looks so dangerous. Benoit does a diving headbutt off the cage and Angle does a moonsault. It was quite a stunning stunt show from two blokes who seemed to have a death wish. They're both lucky to be still alive and healthy all these years later. Matches like that could have done them a lot of damage.

Archived