Old Gimmicks that would work in NXT

FLips

• Paid Members

I've been working my way through the WCW Nitros and PPVs from the NWO's debut onwards and for weeks these vignettes would air proclaiming that "Blood runs cold" and that Glacier was coming.

Nobody but the commentators really made that big a deal of it until Big Bubba (AKA future Royal Rumble winner Big Bossman) came out one week and was like "Glacier, you say that blood runs cold, but you'll be running scared when I get my hands on you (or to that effect). 
Well anyway, after a good 2 or 3 months of vignettes and teasers on Monday Nitro, Glacier made his long awaited debut...on WCW PRO  :(

But then he came back over to Nitro and him and Big Bubba had a barnstormer

Now at this point, I was willing to accept Glacier for the absolute turd that he was. He looks like Sub Zero, works like shit, and no matter how much the commentators try to put him over or how much Big Bubman chucks himself about, I just can't buy into him.

And then this happens...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temQeeS8XSQ

Now that's from Worldwide, but it also happens on Nitro (but the video isn't available). The thing to take away from that though is that Pat Tanaka coming out to Goldberg's music is mental in hindsight, I had no idea it even happened. It'd be like if you loaded up an old episode of WWF Metal and Crash Holly was coming out to Brock Lesnar's music.

It was during his match with Pat Tanaka that it occurred to me; Glacier would be over as fuck in NXT. 

He's got a unique look (if you ignore it's Sub Zero)
He does kung-fu instead of wrestling, which is a gimmick in itself (even if it's garbage)
He's bland, and the NXT crowd LOVE to react to bland people (see The Ascension, Blue Pants, Tyson Kidd, etc).
His opponent comes out to Goldberg's music but turns out to be a jobber. NXT Jobbers with superstar music would be a really NXT way to get a heel over.

Glacier is NXT through and through. In a way you could say he was ahead of his time.

glacier-wrestler.jpg

I know this was rubbish, but I'm sure some of you can think of better ones :)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Glacier was a rip-off of Sub-zero from Mortal Kombat as you point out. I don't think he has any relevence now. In fairness,he didn't have anything going for him then other than the cool entrance.

There's nearly always room for a Demolition or Road Warriors style tag team. Two big bastards with great looking gear and face paint who beat people up. Not The Ascension though. Probably should stay away from gimp masks too.

I always liked Jean Pierre Lafitte. Klemptomania is an under-rated heel quality. A guy who steals other peoples stuff - jackets, cars, title belts, etc would get over good. Plus when he turns babyface the commentators can scream "KLEPTOMANIA IS RUNNING WILD".

I always liked Jean Pierre Lafitte. Klemptomania is an under-rated heel quality. A guy who steals other peoples stuff - jackets, cars, title belts, etc would get over good. Plus when he turns babyface the commentators can scream "KLEPTOMANIA IS RUNNING WILD".

That's kind of what I wanted luke Harper to do after his promo videos a few weeks ago. Batter people and after take something of there's he likes. Zigglers IC title. Maybe attack Ryback because he likes his muscle belt. All builds up till he attacks Cena for his dog tags and we get serious Cena for a week or two.

Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. 

Find a guy known for his promos, someone like Road Dogg - he'd probably have to refer to himself as B.G or just Jesse James I guess.  Have him manage a few guys.  Not necessarily an invasion/take over group, just a bunch of lads that have got the same bloke as their manager.  You could then have him manage a new challenger to the babyfacce NXT champ every few months.   

You could even try the act on both NXT and the main rosters...   the manager forsakes one of his charges for a more established roster member for example

• Paid Members

WWE had someone in developmental who wrestled in bib-and-brace overalls at some point in the last few years, I'm sure of it. Never made it to the NXT TV show, though.

They also had Mark Canterbury's son, who wrestled as Buck Dixon and was a truly ugly fucker. 

Archived