The Top 11 Obscure Nu-Metal Albums Ever Made

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

was gonna bang this in the rock/metal thread but i thought there's probably enough forum members who grew up on nu-metal to warrant me starting a thread over it.

...i'm a pretty unashamed nu-metal fan, it's basically the metal-era i grew up through so it had a pretty profound effect on the way my musical tastes were forged. Nu-metal is a bit of a dirty word in today's metal climates, but fuck it, it happened and it left a legacy behind.

The title of thread i nicked from the web article that made me want to start the topic. Basically someone has decided to look beyond the usual collection of nu-metal bands that always tend to get listed as being the best (or worst depending on your view) and dug up some hidden gems that the genre spawned only to get lost in time noting that not all nu-metal was necessarily terrible.

http://www.metalsucks.net/2014/11/07/top-ten-obscure-nu-metal-albums/ < there's the article.

i've always been a pretty nerdy type of music fan in that i love to find new bands and read whatever i can about music but there's a few bands in that list i was even unaware of. I do actually own a few of the albums though (Stuck Mojo, Audiovent, Stereomud).

Anyway's as i always love to discover new music im asking you to come up with a few gems you may own/used to own/know of...

Dig up some gem's fuckers....

(it doesn't necessarily have to be nu-metal either, that's just what made me start the thread, just explain why it's an obscure record people should check out).

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Nu-metal was the biggest waste of potential in music.

The doors were open to bring in new ideas, incorporate elements of other styles, do things differently, and it quickly descended into a load of shite bands half arsing it by copying the first wave of nu-metal bands.

And it was invented by Paul from S Club 7.

• Paid Members

i'd likely feel the same about it if i hadn't been getting into music when it was booming, i didn't really know any better at the time and a lot of it was absolute pish, but i look back on it fondly, and there's still some diamonds amongst the dogshit.

I guess the metal traditionalists at the time felt the same way about nu-metal that the kids who grew up liking all that stuff feel about all this d-jent/metalcore shit that's popular at the moment.

• Paid Members

Nu-metal was the biggest waste of potential in music.

The doors were open to bring in new ideas, incorporate elements of other styles, do things differently, and it quickly descended into a load of shite bands half arsing it by copying the first wave of nu-metal bands.

to be fair, that could be said of any sub-genre of rock/metal that got popular.

besides the point of the thread wasn't to discuss how shit nu-metal was, it was more to do with recommending some unheralded albums :laugh:

I had the Taproot, Tantric and Stuck Mojo albums. Nu- Metal was odd because it had it's roots as far back as Ice- T and Cop Killer back in the early 1990's and earlier industrial bands. It has has been bastardised much like everything else to try and encompass everything.

It was an interesting experiment I dont dislike all the music, but shoehorning everything to encompass a time rather than an actual style is something at odds with the whole thing. That's just me mind

Archived