WWE Battleground 2014 Discussion - Spoilers

Doog

• Paid Members

Yeah it's a shame. As after beating Bryan at Royal Rumble and beating The Shield at Elimination Chamber, Bray seemed to be an unstoppable monster. Now he's a scary guy who cuts amazing chilling promos but isn't actually that hard to beat up. Bray needs bigger, more interesting stories than just "this month I'm going after this guy, then a few months later I'll go after this guy".

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a case of the character not necessarily meaning anything in terms of wrestling. He doesn't care about winning and losing, which in theory is done to deflect damage from his losses, but ultimately just means there's no reason for us to invest in his matches and outcomes. He hasn't changed anyone, except Daniel Bryan for about a week, and Cena acted weird for half an hour once or something. Even when the Wyatts destroyed and abducted Kane, Kane just came back with no mention of that and became Stephanie's enforcer. There's not really any sense of what he actually wants or how he's achieving that. The gimmick is all lip service because it never goes anywhere... But it's usually entertaining lip service. It's almost a character that's above wrestling and gets dragged down by the limitations of the genre.

• Paid Members

It's a case of the character not necessarily meaning anything in terms of wrestling. He doesn't care about winning and losing, which in theory is done to deflect damage from his losses, but ultimately just means there's no reason for us to invest in his matches and outcomes. He hasn't changed anyone, except Daniel Bryan for about a week, and Cena acted weird for half an hour once or something. Even when the Wyatts destroyed and abducted Kane, Kane just came back with no mention of that and became Stephanie's enforcer. There's not really any sense of what he actually wants or how he's achieving that. The gimmick is all lip service because it never goes anywhere... But it's usually entertaining lip service. It's almost a character that's above wrestling and gets dragged down by the limitations of the genre.

This is a great post. You're right, Wyatt is still entertaining. The fans are still into it - the entrance for instance is more spectuacular than ever and "We're here" still gets big pops.

It's a great gimmick that is brilliantly performed but it has no wrestling context. They don't really know what to do with it. In fairness, I don't know what I'd do with it for the most part.

In that context it probably worked best when Wyatt was preaching but also doing Triple H's bidding against The Shield. Never quite sure whether he was on the take or not but he appeared to be a complete hypocrite. Good basis for a pro-wrestling heel.

It's a great gimmick that is brilliantly performed but it has no wrestling context. They don't really know what to do with it. In fairness, I don't know what I'd do with it for the most part.

Yeah, you keep thinking "why is he a wrestler?"  How does turning up on Raw every week further his aims really?  Publicity?

What would be better would be if he were a manager for other wrestlers, so he has a singles wrestler or two in his Family.  And his aim should be something concrete, like getting all the gold and controlling the WWE. 

And then him wrestling should be the end of a feud, the ultimate goal of the face.

Yeah, you keep thinking "why is he a wrestler?"  How does turning up on Raw every week further his aims really?  Publicity?

What would be better would be if he were a manager for other wrestlers, so he has a singles wrestler or two in his Family.  And his aim should be something concrete, like getting all the gold and controlling the WWE. 

And then him wrestling should be the end of a feud, the ultimate goal of the face.

Him being in wrestling makes sense because it's access to warp the minds of millions to follow him... But nothing about him winning/losing feuds seems to have any impact on that. They kept promoting Cena vs Wyatt like the fate of their characters and the entire WWE was at stake, and it always seemed hollow, then the feud happened and both men and the company were exactly the same afterwards. It's the nature of the beast, really. Wrestling only rarely involves transformation out of a feud. It just seems like Bray Wyatt should do more as a character... But that's probably asking too much, for him to be something different than just a wrestling gimmick.

Sorry about quoting like a tit, but editing quotes doesn't really work anymore.

Archived