WWE Battleground 2014 Discussion - Spoilers

Doog

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Didn't watch it but I was interested in what happens going into SummerSlam. Aside from The Miz winning the battle royal which was a bit left field, it all seemed fairly predictable.

What made me comment is the report I read said the show wasn't as good as it looked on paper. Now that would be worrying.

• Paid Members

I was so let down that they took the Ambrose match off the card that I just went to sleep during the Wyatt/Jericho match. Thank fuck I have the network, because if I laid down £15 for that I'd have rang for a refund.

My favourite moment of the whole PPV was when Zeb called Lana and Rusev, Natasha and Boris, thinking about it, it was such a brilliant call, with the similarities between them, Natasha and Boris always go on about their Fearless Leader too.

As for the PPV I think it was pretty much how everyone expected. I knew as soon as it got down to Ziggler and Sheamus that Miz would be winning with the slide back under the ropes and eliminate whoever was last in. Generally there was nothing big at all that happened on the PPV as a whole, pretty much run of the mill stuff.

Got a horrible feeling that Rusev could lose and Lana goes mental with Rusev turning face. Lana gets dropped and WWE save face. It would get them out of the situation, but I would be gutted.

No Americans will accept Rusev as a face by dumping Lana so soon after all the anti-American stuff. How would be even do it? He can't cut a promo on her, he can't batter her and he can't burn the Russian flag. The best thing for them to do is have Swagger go over, then Rusez to quietly drop Lana as a manager and spend the next few months squashing lower card guys. Just reset him and wait a while for everyone to forget about it before giving him anything meaningful to do. Rusev is lucky he's not actually from Russia and someone else has been doing the talking for him.

Why does he need to change character? Just because something happens in the real world doesn't mean they have to change the fictional one. Yes, that thing with Hassan a few years ago went a bit OTT but this is just Rocky 4, it's harmless.

Got a horrible feeling that Rusev could lose and Lana goes mental with Rusev turning face. Lana gets dropped and WWE save face. It would get them out of the situation, but I would be gutted.

No Americans will accept Rusev as a face by dumping Lana so soon after all the anti-American stuff. How would be even do it? He can't cut a promo on her, he can't batter her and he can't burn the Russian flag. The best thing for them to do is have Swagger go over, then Rusez to quietly drop Lana as a manager and spend the next few months squashing lower card guys. Just reset him and wait a while for everyone to forget about it before giving him anything meaningful to do. Rusev is lucky he's not actually from Russia and someone else has been doing the talking for him.

Why does he need to change character? Just because something happens in the real world doesn't mean they have to change the fictional one. Yes, that thing with Hassan a few years ago went a bit OTT but this is just Rocky 4, it's harmless.

I don't think there is a drastic need to change Rusev. Just desist with the pro Putin stuff. He (or they) can still be pro Russian without being pro Putin.

• Paid Members

Nothing spectacular but a perfectly acceptable show.

The opener was MOTN but I think Haper/Rowan should be given a run with the belts. Wyatt/Jericho wasn't great and I was pissed Bray didn't win. It's going to be a bit hard for them to keep presenting the Wyatts as a threat if they keep losing all the time. Rusev/Swagger was a fun slugfest and I'm glad Rusev won in a heelish manner.

Main event was good stuff. It was basically a Roman Reigns showcase and he did great. Battle Royale had some fun moments...WTF with Heath eliminating Cesaro though. And while it's crappy that Rollins/Amrbose didn't happen, I loved all their brawls and now I'm even more excited for their inevitable match at Summerslam (which I'm going to...yay!). I thought Rollins looked really comfortable as a heel tonight too.

So watched Battleground last night, had a few thoughts on it (literally a few, because really not much of anything happened).

- Cameron being dressed as a schoolgirl, and then going on to win the match with a schoolgirl is one of the greatest examples of in-ring storytelling of all time.

- Luke Harper and Erick Rowan walking through a planetarium of demise was fantastic.

- The commentary was really bad during the first couple of matches tonight. I don't like to be the guy who gripes on the commentary, but Christ. During a Tag Team Championship match, Michael Cole, lead commentator and 'voice of the WWE' has the temerity to ask JBL: "If the Usos are both 5's, how would you rank Luke Harper and Erick Rowan?"

- The Ambrose/Rollins bait & switch didn't offend me, but I can see why people would be annoyed. Ultimately, it becomes a hilarious advert for the Network in a way, because WWE are basically saying: "Seriously, stop spending 60 dollars on each PPV or we will shaft you"

- Paige being from Norwich is all the reason I need to bring Alan Partridge to the WWE in an on-air capacity. WHO INVENTED THE SKIP.

- Rusev does a great job of falling from the ring apron like a sack of shit. Seriously, he just plants clean on his arse every time, it's a science.

- The battle royal and the main event were what they were. Some decent to good action in both, but the finish of each match was pretty much a foregone conclusion. Ultimately, Battleground will forever stand the test of time of being 'that show where only the Tag Title match is good'

Think it should stand as an example as to why WWE really don't need twelve PPV's a year. I'd like to see WWE try to scale back to ten PPV's a year, every six weeks kind of deal. Think we'd see less shows like Battleground that way.

Archived