The Crowdfunding Thread

DEF

• Paid Members

I'm sure everyone's aware if what Crowdfunding sites are these days but what pledge you? The last 4 or 5 months I've got more and more into Crowdfunding. For obvious reasons they require a smidge of patience but you get some pretty cool stuff out of the rewards and projects. So far I've pledged to some pretty exciting stuff.

Pledgemusic.com - New Presidents of the United States of America Studio Album 'Kudos To You' and New Live Album 'Thanks For the Feedback'

This has been and gone and I have the two great CD albums in my hands. The Presidents were the first band I ever got into as a tween. The idea of funding a new album personally is pretty damn cool to me.

Indiegogo.com - Night Before Easter Slasher Movie

This ones a little more complex. I'am a massive slasher movie fan and compile a database of available slashers on Blu-ray. So there's this excellent review site called Hysteria-lives.com which I've loved reading for the last few years. If I'm not sure older films are or aren't slashers I cross reference them before I add them to my database. Hysteria-lives has an excellent spin off podcast called Hysteria Continues. It's pretty awesome. Anyway two of the guys on the show Joseph Henson and Nathan Johnson decided to take a shot at writing and directing there own low budget slasher.

They only made around half of what they wanted but with Indiegogo.com you don't need to make the full amount. I'm happy to report the film has already wrapped and nearly finished post. It's due for release on demand over Easter and DVD rewards should be sent at the same time. I actually pledged twice to this as they had two pretty cool rewards I wanted. First off the completed Night Before Easter on DVD.

Secondly they were giving away a rare unreleased pro authored DVD double feature from Vinegar Syndrome in the States. There was a rights issue that came up after they had pressed the discs over the extremely rare 80s slasher Savage Water and they weren't allowed to sell them. The only way to get that disc was through this campaign as Vinegar Syndrome donated it to help fund the movie. It arrived a month or so a go. The films are hilariously bad but as a DVD collector its a pretty damn cool edition to my collection.

Kickstarter.com - Ultimate Bubble Gum Crisis Blu-ray Box Set

Anime blu-rays seem to be doing well on crowdfunding sites. They are to expensive to license and produce by traditional means because there popularity isn't enough with the mainstream. Blu-ray and anime are a niche in a niche after all. However die hard anime fans are a passionate bunch and through crowdfunding it maybe the only way they see the light of day. This one I thought would be a good place to start as its an officially licensed blu-ray set that I've been meaning to see since I was about 14. I seriously hope this starts a trend of old animes and cartoons getting there HD due. Many were beautifully hand animated. Blu-ray could make these pieces of art truly stunning.

kickstarter.com - Tell 'Em Steve Dave Claymation Movie

This last one's pretty simple. I love the podcast Tell 'Em Steve Dave. I love old school clay animation. Put them together in a feature length movie and I'm all over it. I just went for the DVD delivered option. This one won't be ready for ages but it will be pretty awesome when its ready. They wanted $25k which as it turns out wouldn't have been enough. Good thing it made $98k then. Can't wait for this.

That's my lot at the moment. After how well the Presidents album turned out and getting the Savage Water DVD I'm a pretty big fan.

So what pledge you?

• Paid Members

I think I payed about 20 quid for this amazingly illustrated poster of every failed Acme product used in Road Runner.

5fec5ad129f94c204c8c6a55d476e05a_view.jpg

Things like this that the artist couldn't afford to get printed without the cash are the good side of crowd funding.

I guess you don't want this thread to be full of people sharing there's or there friends crowdfunder's. But it'd be cool for people to link things they think are worth mentioning. I always seem to find out about stuff after it has finished.

• Paid Members
I think I payed about 20 quid for this amazingly illustrated poster of every failed Acme product used in Road Runner.

You're a great man, chokey. Big Trouble in Little China fan AND a Road Runner fan.

You ever read Coyote vs Acme by Ian Frazier?

Why thank you sir. I've never read it but just had a quick google and it sounds right up my street. Is it worth a purchase?

• Paid Members
Why thank you sir. I've never read it but just had a quick google and it sounds right up my street. Is it worth a purchase?

Highly, HIGHLY recommended, boss!

I found it in a second hand book shop in Dublin and got that giddy feeling in my stomach when I read the premise, of which alone raises a hearty smile.

I'm slightly torn about crowdfunding.

On the one hand, I can absolutely see (as in the examples in this thread) what a great way it is to fund small creative projects or startup businesses.

On the other hand, in my industry I've seen it start to replace the normal process of funding games development at some relatively major developers, such as Braben's Frontier. These are people who could finance their companies in the normal manner, but this way they get to potentially waste their fans money instead, and generate ill-will if they do so.

Interesting article here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/195733/...dev_budgets.php

I'm also concerned about the possibility of fraud with this method of fundraising.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So the low budget slasher film I pledged for mentioned in the first post, The Night Before Easter is now finished and available for Digital Download and rental. I'm downloading it right now.

Here's the announcement from there Facebook page.

The Night Before Easter - Now On Demand

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/thenightbeforeeaster

Help support indie horror/starving artists/slasher fans and rent or purchase a digital download of Joseph Henson and Nathan Johnson's first film, The Night Before Easter. Rentals last 72 hours and are $3.99; the digital download (warning: this is a near 8GB file) is $5.99. All revenue collected from rentals/downloads will go to financing a DVD release, paying entry fees for film festivals and financing future projects.

We hope you enjoy the movie despite some of its low-budget constraints as we worked really hard on it and it truly was a labor of love. For a slasher film made with meager pocket change, we think we did alright.

Once you've watched it, we would LOVE some feedback, be it here, through private message, on your own blog/podcast/site or even on the IMDb page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3028144/ (if you leave a user comment, please rate the film, too - the higher the rating, the more exposure we will receive, FYI).

Finally, don't forget to share this with everyone you know! We want people to see this movie!

Thank you!

EDIT - I know it says the file size is 8gig above but it's actually only 1.2gig

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

OK kids this might be the most important crowdfunded project in history.

Friday the 13th The Game!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/613356213/friday-the-13th-the-game

I've bunged them $25 as I'm not exactly minted but if I was rich I'd give them ten grand in a minute to be a victim.

• Paid Members

You're a great man, chokey. Big Trouble in Little China fan AND a Road Runner fan.

You ever read Coyote vs Acme by Ian Frazier?

I would like to take this opportunity to big up Coyote vs Acme. Well woth picking up.

Archived