Best things to watch on the network?

Jimmy Boy

• Paid Members

I thought it was great too and still do. Rock and Foley were massively popular acts, as was their team. Can imagine people tuning in just to see what they were going to do, whether the segment turned out great or not in your opinion.

• Paid Members

Has anyone seen the November 1991 Texas Tornado vs Berzerker match from Madison Square Garden in the Vault section? It's pretty bizarre, a countout finish within the first two minutes. Must have been some kind of balls-up.

Von Erich had missed several matches on that run through "personal issues", so he may not have been in suitable condition to work a proper match. Not sure why you'd do a countout though.

• Paid Members

Oh, Montreal...again

What sort of subjects were you expecting from a show called Monday Night Wars?

Stories about Sammartino, Cena, Lincoln, Oprah?

I think people might have been expecting something other than four straight episodes dealing entirely with WWE.

The Monday Night Wars has turned out not to be what I was expecting at all.

I was hoping for each episode to cover a few months at a time from the launch of Nitro and what was happening in each promotion and what each did to counteract what the other was doing I.e WCW had this angle, so we tried something else with this angle.

Instead we seem to have ended up with talking heads just saying "cor, DX were great weren't they?" and this week we've an hour of Bret showing how much more professional he was than the unprofessional prick Shawn Michaels by refusing to do what his boss wanted because he was afraid of losing his self proclaimed hero in his own country status

(But that's another discussion entirely, and that's been done to death also)

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Moderators

Yeah, the Monday Night Wars stuff is turning out to be very disappointing. The first couple of episodes were spectacular, and I was excited to have so many more on the way. But then it just became rehashes of stuff that's been covered multiple times in other documentaries. It's not that it's not all relevant, because if you're wanting the full bigger picture of the Monday Night Wars, you kinda have to cover it, but it feels incredibly lazy that they didn't construct a linear narrative out of the story, and just repeated blocks of wrestler portraits we've seen a dozen times before. Week to week, there's a fascinating story to be told, but instead, here's DX invading Nitro again, and coming next week, all the Foley stuff that's been on a bunch of DVDs already.

You know it makes you wonder if the Network is still going to air the PPV's past Royal Rumble. JBL is still saying if you subscribe now you'll get all PPV's until the Rumble. But if you signed up now for 6 months you would get Elimination Chamber aswell as it would take you til mid March. Just seems weird.

It's good to see that they've started uploading the first couple of months of Smackdown as we in the UK didn't see these full episodes. We didn't get Smackdown on Sky Sports until Jan 2000. It seems like that pilot episode from April 1999 is hidden in a vault somewhere.