My Best Film: Carry On!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Page one of the thread starting with ...Up The Khyber and finishing with ..Don't Lose Your Head covered all bases for me. Good work.

"Fakir! Off!"

Imagine hearing that in a cinema in 1968.

Carry On Abroad is undoubtedly my favourite Carry On. I just fell for the charms of 'Els Bells', and out of all of the Carry On's will always go out of my way to watch it if it's on the box. Never really got on with Screaming either. As others have said doesn't 'feel' like a Carry On, the plasticized model plot feels more akin to the recent Channel 4 documentary as opposed to a Carry On film. ( if that makes sense?)

My mind is playing tricks at present through lack of sleep, but there is a similar Carry On to Carry On Camping, but with caravans and archaeologists and not tents? I'm not just imagining that am I?

Others that stuck in my head as being decent (but probably aren't) were Carry on Girls, Carry On Loving and Carry on Doctor.

My mind is playing tricks at present through lack of sleep, but there is a similar Carry On to Carry On Camping, but with caravans and archaeologists and not tents? I'm not just imagining that am I?

Carry on Behind.

Cheers! Was having a total Brainfreeze

Anyway, here's the 'Stupid What?' Scene from Carry on Abroad

:thumbsup:

• Paid Members

Surprised there isn't any love for the hospital based films given their prominence in the series.

I think Carry On Matron is probably my favorite of those, it's a good farce. Doctor would be really good if not for Frankie Howard who is fucking shit.

Valerie Leon is absolutely gorgeous.

Edited by tiger_rick

• Paid Members
Valerie Leon is absolutely gorgeous.

She is, however:

a) Margaret Nolan is gorgeousser, and

b) Valerie Leon was dubbed by June Whitfield in Carry On Girls. All those sultry words came from June Whitfield's mouth. June Whitfield.

• Paid Members
Old assignment (I'm a fucking awful writer):-

I thought that was pretty interesting. It also sums up my issue with ...Convenience. It felt more mistargeted and mean-spirited than most, which I just couldn't quite get past.

I'm very fond of ...Screaming, but then I'm a big fan of old horror films, so it's a bit of a geek-fest. Plus, I wish Harry H Corbett had done more Carry On's. He felt like a good addition.

I'm also a fan of ...Henry. The running gag about corruption is lovely, and Kenneth Williams is particularly great in this one.

• Paid Members

Camping may be obvious, but it might just be my favourite- either that or Up The Khyber. As others mentioned, the dinner scene is fantastic and Sid James for me owns that scene. Continues as if nothing around him is happening.

Is 'At Your Convenience' the one where Barnard Bresslaw uses his talking bird to win the pools/races? That was good as well. I quite liked Up The Jungle, too.

Me and my Dad went to see Columbus at the cinema, as my Dad has always been a Carry On fanatic. I remember him being appalled at how shit it was. Is it just as unwatchable today?

• Paid Members

It's Hattie Jacques that has the result predicting bird. Butch is spot on about the politics of the Buses vs. Convenience, but Convenience might still be my favorite, by virtue of familiarity. I might have seen it 30 times, and it still kills me every time. I did rewatch Khyber a few months ago, though, and I think that could be a definite challenger. The names alone beat most films for hilarity.

• Paid Members
Is 'At Your Convenience' the one where Barnard Bresslaw uses his talking bird to win the pools/races? That was good as well.

Yeah, though it was Sid James using Hattie Jacques budgie.

Best line in Carry On Camping apart from "He's gone for a P":

"Where's Sid?"

"He's crept into the crypt for a ... smoke"

How has no one shown any love for Carry On Cruising so far? Easily one of the most under rated of the series. IMO. Sid James is brilliant as the Captain who is desperately trying to get his hands on the new flagship. The rest of the cast are all ideally suited to the roles that they are given.

Other honorable mentions goto:

Carry On Dick

Carry On Don't Lose Your Head

Carry On Sergeant

Worst one for me is a tie between Columbus and Emmanuel.

So which would be defined as were the magic went wrong?

• Paid Members
Carry On Up The Jungle. It's where it went from feeling cheeky to feeling smutty.

Jungle was more direct in its approach than the others, but there were still a few films afterwards that are in the classic style (Convenience, Matron, Abroad). Carry On Loving is definitely a move towards competing with the Confessions film, so I can only conclude that the smuttier approach was to satiate Terry Scott.

Dick is probably the one that sits on the fence as to whether its the last good one, or the first poor one, depending on who you talk to. It's certainly more crass than the "golden era", but the cast and writing are still decent. The next in the series (Behind) is a big step down in terms of quality.