My Best Film: Carry On!

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I watched Carry On Girls last night, as it has probably the most Nolan content (although her best moment is probably discussing her lodger with Dr Prod in Carry On Matron), and for the first time noticed something odd.

It's not as noticeable in this YouTube version, but at around 25 minutes when Babs arrives and starts talking to Sid and Bernard, for a few shots the image quality dips massively, as if they've inserted footage from a telecine copy of a ropey 8mm home cinema version. It's glaringly obvious on the DVD version and I can't understand how I've not picked up on it before. I rewound and changed it to the commentary track to see if there was mention, but ...Girls has a fucking terrible commentary track that mostly consists of June Whitfield going, "Mmmm, ah, yes, oh there's Jimmy, he was a lovely man".

• 1 year later...

I’ve bumped this after watching the recent Carry On marathon on ITV3. 
I’m intrigued by the behind the scenes story’s of the cast - how many of them had tragic lives and died relatively young.

Also how the films were miscast with regards to age - in camping Sid & Bernard are acting like 20 somethings - Babs even jokes how Joan Simms looks like Sid’s aunt - wtf?  

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, Just Some Guy said:

I'm not disagreeing but why that particular one over the approx 20 others she isn't in?

Because she would have been paired off with Sid, essentially taking Joan Sims role. Hattie would likely have stayed as Sid's wife, relegating Joan to either a lesser factory worker or Mr Bogg's assistant, because her and Patsy can both do dowdy/grumpy characters, and Barbara can't. 

Firstly, I like Patsy and this would probably mean another film where she doesn't get to do much. I think she always had better chemistry with Kenneth than Barbara did too.

Secondly, there's a scene with just Sid and Joan near the end when they return from the works day out, having to go back to separate houses that's a hidden gem. It's well written, well shot, and performed wonderfully, with both of them awkwardly not saying what they want to say, but knowing what each other means. I don't believe that Barbara could have pulled that scene off anywhere near as well.

Carry On At Your Convenience is shite.

cat-in.gif

Edited by Nostalgia Nonce

• 7 months later...
  • Paid Members

I watched Carry On Don't Lose Your Head today, as I'd recently learned that Jacqueline "Servalan" Pearce makes a small appearance in it. The lack of short black hair (and bodies at her feet) were probably why she'd gone unrecognised before now.

I don't know why, but this isn't one I've watched very many times before, maybe only once or twice, and really I should because it's Ffing marvellous (two Fs).

It looks lovely, like a proper film that had a proper budget. There's big sets, location shooting, and a lot of extras in period dress. I suspect a lot of it was borrowed/leftover from another production, similar to how they made Carry On Cleo.

There's quite a few of the core cast missing. There's no Hattie, no Kenneth Connor, no Bernard Bresslaw, no Babs, and none of the semi-regulars (Terry Scott, Patsy Rowlands, Bernard Cribbins etc.), but those that are there are in fine form. Jim Dale in particular is great in not having the manic clumsiness of his Doctor roles.

Edited by Surf Digby
Edit? No I 'aven't 'ed it. Are you offering?