The Jim Cornette / Alex Shane Kickstarter Amusement Thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Alex used to live a couple of blocks over from me - used to train in the same council gym that I did. I remember when I started going there, I'd been to a couple of UK shows and thought that the lad on the weights looked just like the FWA lead heel - I went and asked him, and it was. Always seemed decent enough to me in those circumstances, comped me a ticket for one of the Superdome shows, but blanked me the couple of times I saw him at shows - don't know the reason, don't especially care.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Given the time frame, Waltman wouldn't have been the sort of import booked by those that could afford him I wouldn't have thought. They were all about the Low Ki's and the Chris Hamrick's of the world. And of course Balls Mahoney.

• Paid Members
One time I had Aaron Spencer and someone else offering me the chance to buy into RBW (which I later trained at) and I was like 15.

Was it Adam Mumford? He ran it for a while.

• Paid Members
Alex used to live a couple of blocks over from me - used to train in the same council gym that I did. I remember when I started going there, I'd been to a couple of UK shows and thought that the lad on the weights looked just like the FWA lead heel - I went and asked him, and it was. Always seemed decent enough to me in those circumstances, comped me a ticket for one of the Superdome shows, but blanked me the couple of times I saw him at shows - don't know the reason, don't especially care.

Back when he was involved was running the FWA an everything I don't think he was a bad guy. He was just very easily wound up, that being said there were always odd stories doing the rounds. Everyone knows that one about him blowing the weeks wrestling school at the Sobell Centres takings on something mad. The first ever FWA show I went to I brought a sign that said "Alex Shane = Mavis" because I'd heard somewhere (possibly from Steve Knight but don't quote me) that when he was training at Hammerlock he used to "scream like Mavis" or something. Then I heard that actually got to him. How thin skinned can you be considering the business you're in? I remember some posters from here who don't post here anymore bringing a "JTTS vs Alex Shane" sign to a show as a joke and he actually took time out to go ask if they knew me and shit. To reiterate, I was a mid-teen aged fan. Why would you care in his position?

• Paid Members
One time I had Aaron Spencer and someone else offering me the chance to buy into RBW (which I later trained at) and I was like 15.

Was it Adam Mumford? He ran it for a while.

I don't think it was Mumford because he was running it when I trained there. We fell out actually because most Sundays id wake up with a hangover and MSN him to tell him I wasn't coming and then he'd offer I let me train on tick (most weeks I was either hungover or broke, wonder why I never made it big?). When I eventually gave it up due to being not very good and hating Sammy Ray (one of the trainers) he then made a big thing about me owing him money.

• Moderators
Back when he was involved was running the FWA an everything I don't think he was a bad guy. He was just very easily wound up, that being said there were always odd stories doing the rounds. Everyone knows that one about him blowing the weeks wrestling school at the Sobell Centres takings on something mad. The first ever FWA show I went to I brought a sign that said "Alex Shane = Mavis" because I'd heard somewhere (possibly from Steve Knight but don't quote me) that when he was training at Hammerlock he used to "scream like Mavis" or something. Then I heard that actually got to him. How thin skinned can you be considering the business you're in? I remember some posters from here who don't post here anymore bringing a "JTTS vs Alex Shane" sign to a show as a joke and he actually took time out to go ask if they knew me and shit. To reiterate, I was a mid-teen aged fan. Why would you care in his position?

Wasn't the Mavis thing that he took a chair shot in a manner deemed 'unmanly' once, so they called him a lady's name, or something stupid like that?

• Paid Members

I wouldn't wish death on the guy but I found him to be a real arsehole. It was a shame actually as RBW had some good guys doing the training down there. Johnny Kidd was the best. It was so surreal on the evening of one show in Enfield me and my cousin were buying chicken burgers across the road from the venue and Johnny walks in and starts asking us "you in (the battle royale that they'd often put trainees in) tonight?" He then had a chicken burger. I think he was in the main event that night.

But yeah I remember the day Sammy Ray died.

• Paid Members
I remember when Sammy Ray died.

I wouldn't wish death on the guy but I found him to be a real arsehole. It was a shame actually as RBW had some good guys doing the training down there. Johnny Kidd was the best. It was so surreal on the evening of one show in Enfield me and my cousin were buying chicken burgers across the road from the venue and Johnny walks in and starts asking us "you in (the battle royale that they'd often put trainees in) tonight?" He then had a chicken burger. I think he was in the main event that night.

But yeah I remember the day Sammy Ray died.

I also remember when Sammy Ray died.

When were you training there, Riot? I started there around the beginning of 2005.

Sammy Ray was always alright with me - he actually gave me a lot of his time to help me get better at flip-bumping, which was a real trial for me initially. But I can see why a lot of people didn't like him - he rubbed a number of people up the wrong way sometimes. I remember one trainee saying he used to be really nice until he started hanging out with Phil Powers. Johnny Kidd was awesome, though - lovely man, always had time for people, and, what's even funnier, if some trainee started doing some weird Chris Hero/Colt Cabana US indy tribute-to-WoS combo, he'd come over and say: "That's good, how do you do that? Show me." He seemed to genuinely love picking up stuff like that.

• Paid Members

It would have been 2004 since I was at college at the time. We may have crossed paths briefly.

I think Sammy took a liking to a few and just a douchebag to others. It may have been that he was just being hard on people to motivate them, who knows? I know one time we were learning to run the ropes before a show including laying down and leapfrogs with another person and I just couldn't get the timing right and he more or less berated me in front of everyone. Which, to be fair, I probably would have been able to deal with had I really wanted to work but I think at that point I'd kinda already realised I was never going to be good enough and just wanted to get late-teen Wood Green on him.

• Paid Members
I got told off in UKFF chat for bullying bagga one time for telling everyone that Bagga came to a Hammerlock show with his mum

I remember it more to do with you calling him a paki in chat.

Did I?! I don't remember doing that.

Would have stuck this one in the minor news thread but this is the latest speaking tour type thread so it felt more relevant. Anyhow Wrestlezone are reporting that due to the success of independent speaking tours by "name" wrestling personalites that wwe are looking to promote their own speaking tour shows with the current roster.

I don't know how much of an appeal they will have as I feel these type of shows are usually put on with former employees so marks can hear some sleaze in person from the horses mouth. If these get done with the current roster they would obviously be restricted in what can be said.

Archived