Fantasy Football Teams (although there is a UKFF league code in here)

WeeAl

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mignolet/Boruc

Ivanovic/Collins/Toure/M.Turner/S.Taylor

Silva/Hazard/Mirallas/Snodgrass/Ben Arfa

Giroud/Dzeko/Lukaku

(1.5M in bank)

That team probably looks shit from a season-long POV, but the trick with the FPL game is to pick your players primarily based on their fixtures over a 4-6wk period - for instance, after the opening game, Newcastle have pretty great fixtures for the next 4 or 5 weeks, which is why I've gone for Taylor and Ben Arfa, although I doubt I'll want either of them much longer than that.

Also make sure to keep a bit of money back for emergencies - last year, Michu went mad at the start of the season, meaning he rocketed in price within weeks. If you kept an extra million or so in the bank, you could swap out one of your crap MFs for him straight away. If not, you'd have to downgrade a more valuable player, and lose money in the process.

I also think it's worth trebling up on Chelsea for the double game week. There are doubts around Mata's fitness at the moment, so Hazard is pretty much the only one of their attacking players I think is nailed on for both games. Because both fixtures are so great on paper though, it might only take one of them for a Lukaku or Ivanovic to rack up a monster score, so they're worth the gamble IMO. The plan is to dump them over the next few weeks leading up to their blank in order to raise funds for RVP (who I definitely want in time for CPL at home).

• Paid Members

I don't know about the FPL, but with The Sun one trick is to avoid defensive midfielders. The Sun don't understand what they are and don't cater for their performances, aside from a couple of points for a midfield clean sheet, but any midfielder can get that.

They hardly score goals and The Sun seldom give them a Star Man rating (which they usually save for whoever scored the winning goal, or whichever England regular played that game). Avoid defensive midfielders in The Sun Dream Team like the plague.

• Paid Members

I think in The Sun DM's aren't priced particularly cheaply, which makes it even more pointless.

WeeAl, you might wanna reconsider Paulinho and Schnederlein in that case. Although saying that the hacks love a bit of Spurs, and Paulinho is a big signing, so he might rack up some points.

I think his is an FPL team rather than a Sun team judging by the squad size, but yeah, I'd echo that advice. For the same price as Paulinho, you can get a midfielder who actually gets goals and assists, like Nolan, Ben Arfa, Sessegnon or Johnson. I also wouldn't be touching De Bruyne at 7M until we've actually had some indication that he might play regularly.

My advice to WeeAl would be to re-jig the defence and midfield completely. There's far too much money spent in defence - as a rule, you should have no more than one premium-priced defender, and you have 3 (Ivanovic, Evra, Baines). You could free up the money for a Walcott or Hazard in midfield by downgrading two of those to regularly playing 4.5 defenders from teams with decent fixtures in the short-term (Newcastle, West Ham, Norwich, Southampton all have regulars available at that price).

My advice to WeeAl would be to re-jig the defence and midfield completely. There's far too much money spent in defence - as a rule, you should have no more than one premium-priced defender, and you have 3 (Ivanovic, Evra, Baines). You could free up the money for a Walcott or Hazard in midfield by downgrading two of those to regularly playing 4.5 defenders from teams with decent fixtures in the short-term (Newcastle, West Ham, Norwich, Southampton all have regulars available at that price).

The only thing I'll add to that re defenders is to get or find someone for a 'lesser' team who plays regularly and may chip in with an odd goal or is a set piece taker. Ian Harte was always a good pick for those reasons, relatively cheap, scored and would get points for playing assists and goals back in the day.

Other stuff is

Don't waste your cash on reserves, especially keepers, get the cheapest you can for a 2nd choice as it frees up finances on the pitch, ditto for any subs.

Keep an eye on injuries for your first team and transfer out accordingly

Assists are key in many fantasy games so worth checking out players who assist for lower teams, who play regularly as will score more points than their value suggests especially when you get points for completing 60 mins or more as well.

I've picked a horrible fantasy team this season, I know I have, but not following the Prem as much means I'm going on numbers only

Mingolet

Zabaleta

Mertesacker

Ivanovic

Walcott

Whittingham

Snodgrass

Bellamy

Mata

Van Persie ©

Berbatov

Subs

Speroni

Caulker

Maynard

Chester

Dream Team is

Lloris

Luiz

Shawcross

Williams

Caulker

Mata

Oscar

Snodgrass

Van Persie

Michu

Deulofeu

Don't waste your cash on reserves, especially keepers, get the cheapest you can for a 2nd choice as it frees up finances on the pitch, ditto for any subs.

Not sure I'd agree with that point, mind. Maybe for the keepers if you're plumping for an expensive one who'll play every week - say, Cech - but a lot of people pick two lower-priced ones and rotate, depending on H/A fixtures, which can prove a decent tactic if you pick the right ones. Some of the highest scoring keepers over the last couple of seasons - Vorm, Krul, Begovic, Jaaskelainen - have started in the 4.5/5M price bracket. Two rotating 4.5 keepers will also save you 1.5M on a combo of Cech of the cheapest non-playing scrub.

With the rest of the team, I'd definitely want to spend an extra 0.5/1M on my reserves to get a half-decent one ahead of a dirt-cheap, non-playing jobber. You're always going to get the odd week when one of your star men misses out with a last-minute knock, and on those occasions you definitely want the insurance of a player with some chance of points coming off the bench.

Not sure I'd agree with that point, mind. Maybe for the keepers if you're plumping for an expensive one who'll play every week - say, Cech - but a lot of people pick two lower-priced ones and rotate, depending on H/A fixtures, which can prove a decent tactic if you pick the right ones. Some of the highest scoring keepers over the last couple of seasons - Vorm, Krul, Begovic, Jaaskelainen - have started in the 4.5/5M price bracket. Two rotating 4.5 keepers will also save you 1.5M on a combo of Cech of the cheapest non-playing scrub.

With the rest of the team, I'd definitely want to spend an extra 0.5/1M on my reserves to get a half-decent one ahead of a dirt-cheap, non-playing jobber. You're always going to get the odd week when one of your star men misses out with a last-minute knock, and on those occasions you definitely want the insurance of a player with some chance of points coming off the bench.

Fair does! I tried the two keeper rotation policy and would always, without fail pick the wrong one for each week. I ended up with 2 keepers on low cash with a decent points tally overall, but their scores for my team were minimal, so opted for a keeper for a decent ish side who would pick up points irrespective. Yes, less involved and perhaps lazy, but I guess it depends on how seriously you take the swapping in and out. Some leave certain positions, some will alter quite frequently as one or two players isn't going to cause massive point damage versus the potential of what they could score.

Archived