Smackdown Discussion Thread

The 5 on 5 tag match a la Survivor Series '87 & '88 is yet more internet fan pleasing from 2016 WWE. I'm looking forward to it, of course, but this last year or so feels like an endless stream of fan service to the '1990-child, 1998-teenager, 2003-Internet malcontent, 2010s-somehow didn't abandon the product' section of the audience. Which, you know, I'm part of, so mint.

Good show. I could pick through stuff I still don't like about either Raw or Smackdown, but I'm generally very pro-WWE since th Brand Split. I'm really enjoying the overall product and still not yet drowning in the PPVs. Smackdown still feels...lighter which I prefer, but AJ Styles is in my mind the top champion in the company, so he legitimises the brand more for me. Both shows crying out for a top level babyface instead of the top guy with the belt being a 2016 heelface, but then again, that's probably what you get for your aforementioned fan service.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Smackdown really is such an easier watch these days as compared to Raw. I don't have much love for Ambrose or Wyatt and it's still a more enjoyable time. It seems to flow very easily whether it's one of their good or bad episodes.

Smackdown really is such an easier watch these days as compared to Raw. I don't have much love for Ambrose or Wyatt and it's still a more enjoyable time. It seems to flow very easily whether it's one of their good or bad episodes.

Forgot about Wyatt. He is the *worst*, and currently is the wrestler to most earn my seething indifference. But then Jericho and Matt Hardy have had that award in my heart for years, so there's always time for a turnaround.

That Styles Clash looked brutal. It's one of the few moves where you put your chin up instead of down and Ellsworth seemed to change his mind half way through, hopefully he's alright.

Edit:

If you go to 1:11 you can see he lifts his chin and then brings it back down.

Styles/Ellsworth was a great segment. Match of the year contender. Superb work from all three guys involved. When Ambrose let go of Ellsworth on the ramp and he just collapsed, I LOL'd.

Yeah I cracked up at that bit too. I liked Ambrose just popping out of the ring for a drink too.

• Paid Members

That Styles Clash was terrifying. Thank fuck one of both of them realised his chin was tucked at the last second, he looks to change his mind and AJ didn't land as hard as he usually does, otherwise that would've been another broken neck.

I wonder if this will result in the Styles Clash being phased out. It still blows my mind that guys tuck their chin though. I know you're trained to instinctively do so when taking almost every other move, but after so many accidents, if AJ was ever setting me up for it that's the only thing I'd be thinking about. Don't tuck your chin, don't tuck your chin, you don't want a broken neck.

Other than that, it was a super fun segment.

If that Clash had broken the guys neck, no one is at fault except that guy. What was he thinking? By lifting his chin he showed that he knows what to do...and yet changed his mind and decided he'd rather be paralysed...idiot.

Aside from that, anyone taking the Styles Clash wrong is an idiot. AJ has been doing it for so long, everyone knows what it is. It's not difficult to take.

• Paid Members

See, this is why the Styles Clash is so dangerous. It's utterly careless and unprofessional to be asking someone to take it who doesn't have a chin to tuck.

Was just thinking all this talk of chins is harsh on the chinless wonder. Was painful to watch at the time. I think he's very lucky AJ got so much height on it as it gave him time to lift slightly and nut the mat instead of the worst outcome.

• Paid Members

Ambrose is absolutely amazing as ref in that match. So much fun. That clash certainly wasn't fun to watch, though.

Someone like Ellsworth who is very much an amatuer thrust into the spotlight, there must be a millions things going through his mind when Styles had him set up in the clash. Looked like he was caught in two minds and has luckily escaped without injury.

The Ellsworth match more-or-less summed up why I'm still a Dean Ambrose fan, he was in his element there. The physical comedy in that first couple minutes was fantastic, I was upset there was no sound for it due to ads

Archived