The Preston City Wrestling Thread

Great show last night.

Devitt vs Travis II was simply AWESOME. Devitt won. Only went 10 minutes but was one of the best 10 minute wrestling matches you will ever likely see. The pair got a totally spontaneous standing ovation afterwards. Easily the best match in PCW so far this year.

Martin Kirby vs AR Fox in the opener was also outstanding too. Fox really got over with the PCW crowd.

Main event was great fun too - Joey Hayes retained his PCW title, defeating Danny Hope in a lumberjack match. The lumberjacks were Terry Funk, Rikishi, Vader, Chris Masters, Dave Rayne, Team Single and Bubblegum. Tons of brawling outside the ring between all the lumberjacks. The heels were practically queuing up to get nailed by Funk and likely had a very hard time keeping grins off their faces. Crowd adored Funk. He even started laughing mid match when we started chanting 'Tag in Terry'.

All the faces danced with Rikishi in the ring after the match. Surreal but extremely fun night.

18itdt.jpg

• Paid Members

The Raid take :

Walked right past truthofsin and his mrs (cracking hair) on my way into the venue. Fretted for a while that Madge and her long-haired son (we hope) weren't going to make this one but those fears were assuaged when Madge shuffled past me and my mate to take her usual front row seat. Nothing ever seems to impress her, it must be said. Bumped into Benny, windoesnot and their wolfpack and opined that the obvious hole on the card for Masters could be filled by Team Single VS Legion Of Boom, which wasn't all that far from the mark. It was unnaturally hot from the outset which was eventually acknowledged by Joanna prior to the Trav/Devitt match. She then went on to say "it's about to get even hotter" which I interpreted as "I'm as moist for Trav as the rest of you are." I don't care how straight you are, lads, I won't hear the argument that Kris Travis isn't an utter sex panther. Show started in good time, bar was overworked as ever, spotted foppish-hair-glasses twat who threatened to ruin my enjoyment of the HXC show the night of Mania with his antics. Thankfully he was far away from where I was stood last night. I actually think he'd had a few pills at the HXC show. Show was really good, usual Friday night "half-knackered, half-pissed" crowd that still got pretty raucous at times.

Joey Hayes opened the show, carrying a bit of swagger that he needs to as champion. I hope "champion wanker" catches on, I love booing Joey. I'm pleased he's got his chance to shine, having followed his progression since the "Manchester Massive" days. Wonder what Donna's doing these days, by the by. Either my memory is wonky or she was fit as fuck. Fludder came out and kept his words succinct putting Hayes in his place about the main event happening and being a lumberjack match, and resisted temptation to be too much of a presence. Respect his authoritah.

(1) Martin Kirby VS AR Fox

I was interested in this one because the last time I saw Fox (years ago, admittedly) he was utter indy wank that could do a lot of flashy gymnastic shit and thought the best way to construct his match was to do as much of it as possible, and I wanted to see if he'd improved. He did squeeze in a few remarkable moves and even though I didn't see stuff like his ring-post moonsault or twisting springboard cutter, I still saw things I'd never seen before in his reverse rotation cannonball and moonsault, and slingshot basement dropkick. Thankfully they were timed well and the match was coherent and enjoyable. Kirby is a brilliant opening match wrestler because he gets the crowd going and always delivers and this was no exception. Finish was Kirby holding the rope when Fox attempted Lo Mein Pain so he landed hard, then a Fameasser. I was surprised because I thought Kirby would lose to balance out my expectation of Ligero beating Petey later. Oops.

(2) Noam Dar VS Steve Corino

I enjoyed this but I understand why it wasn't some people's cup of tea. I think of Corino as a bit of chameleon and he was funny at times and serious when he needed to be. He played "grumpy old vet" perfectly to Dar's impish youngster. coby, you looked bored off your arse. For whatever reason I expected a mat wrestling wrigglefest that Dar would eventually win, but as ever my mate Darren reminded me that Dar is on a losing streak, which he thinks is no mere coincidence. I was surprised when Dar survived the Northern Lights bomb, but equally unsurprised when he was kept down by the "Dream-Maker" (a/k/a Rainmaker). Seriously, Corino is such a fucking mark, forever adopting whatever cool move he sees one of the Puro guys do as his own. Finishing with a lariat or Northern Lights bomb is one thing, but first Sliding C and now nicking the Rainmaker? Have some self-respect, man! Dar threw a strop afterwards. Heel turn might be good for him. There will be some spots open once Team Single turn babyface. I'm not joking.

The ring broke at some point and T-Bone had to come out and work his magic. My mate reckons they could do with a new one.

(3) Dave Mastiff VS Charlie Garrett

You knew what to expect here, really. Drunk lads behind me got into the "Bad News Garrett" stuff and carried on wittering about having some bad news quite a while after it ceased being funny. Charlie executed a lot of the stuff everyone does very well - dropdowns, leapfrogs, dropkick, tope suicida, tope con hilo all were crisp. Things went a bit awry on an O'Connor roll but he took his licks from Mastiff well. I worried that a Mastiff cannonball wasn't what the ring needed in the state it was in but thankfully there was not a Lesnar/Big Show moment. Or Big Show/Mizark if you have a shorter memory.

Next, Dean Allmark's music started to ruin my mate's night. He hates Allmark. I'm not sure whether it's because he's a white meat babyface Pleather Clad Lad that does handsprings, because he's far too smiley, because he agrees with me that "It's Like That" is intensely irritating, or all three. But he hates Deano. I'm fairly indifferent to him. He executes well, but "I like him" would be a bit strong. The match that happened was more fun than a straight 'Gum/Allmark match would have been, even though there is a chance that's the way it's going.

(4) Chris Masters/Dave Rayne/Dean Allmark VS Team Single/Bubblegum

The championship pedigree in this match was off the scale with the tag team and cruiserweight champions representing the heels, opposite the team captained by the #Boom champion. I loved Rayne & Masters' Warrior tribute, colliding with each other outside the ring was brilliant. Dave Rayne's timing and facial reactions to virtually everything that happens in every match or angle he participates in are amazing. He's easily one of my favourite wrestlers on the planet, and I'm not joking. The man entertains me beyond words. Match was fun, Allmark pinned Pip with a schoolboy. I wonder if we were supposed to notice Allmark grabbing the tights.

I won't lie, if it had been Team Single VS Legion of Boom for the belts, the phrase "Fuck reDRagon" might have escaped my lips. Indy wank, they are. It's Masters & Rayne we love. Mind you, a Team Single dispatching of indy wank the way they dealt with Battle Squad Awful will be OK and add more fuel to the potential (subtle, gradual) Team Single babyface turn. They're dickheads, but they're our dickheads. And I'd like Rampage to turn face before the inevitable big singles push. The bloke can work great with anyone, small or large, I reckon he's a cast-iron cert for "future PCW champion."

(5) El Ligero VS Petey Williams

The crowd seemed surprisingly muted for this one. Maybe there were confused, like I was, that it was Ligero with the heat/chinlocks when the reverse situation seemed more natural. Petey's still pretty smooth, so this was fine, and the closing stretch was very good. Although strangely a portion of the pro-Ligero fans seemed to start booing when he seemed on the verge of victory..? I speculate that some of these guys who were cheering for Ligero turned when they realized that if he won, they wouldn't get to see the Canadian Destroyer. Horrific smarky bullshit, if that's the case. Petey won which surprised me because Ligero is one of our best and I expect him to win more often than not, even against a Petey-level import (i.e. not currently in a prominent position for a national-level group in his native continent). But I guess if you book a guy because you think the fans would love to see him do his finish, you have to let him do his finish. Personally, I got over looking forward to a guy just to see one move in about 2005. That was Petey too. Thankfully, he's a good wrestler and has good matches, so I still enjoy seeing him.

(6) Prince Devitt VS Kris Travis

What can I really say? This match sold me my ticket, and it rocked my socks off. Devitt is my favourite wrestler on Earth, Travis is PCW's most reliable deliverer of great matches. I think the two of them were made for each other. They were both well supported and executed crisply, the outside-the-ring shenanigans were excellent, especially Trav's Wall Unit and Devitt's frankly psychotic running dropkick. There was a spakling exchange of strikes culminating in Devitt's overhead kick, I was shocked when Trav kicked out of the reverse Bloody Sunday, my mate was equally shocked when Devitt survived a series of moves that ended with a Tiger Driver, and things reached a prefect crescendo when Devitt hit the Bloody Sunday for the win. If there was a chance for a third match, I would have expected Trav to have won, but knowing there (probably) won't be a tie-breaker threw things back in the air, and as a huge Devitt fan, I cheered myself hoarse for him to win.. which he did. This match ticked every possible box I have as a rasslin fan. Intensity, great execution, excitement, emotional investment. Great.

(7) Joey Hayes VS Danny Hope

Most of the crowd were (understably) distracted by the legends at ringside battling Team Single, so the match just kind of happened. My highlight was Dave Rayne squealing with glee "I'm beating up Rampage Brown!!" in a delightful callback to the Rumble ("I can't beat up Rampage!"). Crowd were well into Danny's potential victory even though we knew it was unlikely, Hayes managed to Honky his way out with a low blow and small package. Not sure I would have had the champion be the one to take a post match embarrassment from Rikishi and subsequent Vader Bomb with Bubblegum on the scene, but whatever. Fans went home in a good mood, that's all that matters. Danny Hope, People's Champion.

Good stuff, yet again.

Edited by air_raid

Walked right past truthofsin and his mrs (cracking hair) on my way into the venue. Fretted for a while that Madge and her long-haired son (we hope) weren't going to make this one but those fears were assuaged when Madge shuffled past me and my mate to take her usual front row seat.

Almost spat my coffee over my laptop.. LOL!

Was a great night in Preston, and the start of a long weekend for me and the mrs. As we were hitting both Spring Slam and the Comic Con on the Sunday, we figured traveling all the way back over to York to travel all the way back was too mcuh effort. So made a weekend of it.

Not a lot that can be said about Spring Slam that Raid hasn't already mentioned. But here are a few thoughts..

I fully agree the Dar thing is going somewhere, his refusual to shake hands with Corino post match points towards a heel turn too. I wouldn't be upset to see it, and i think it would add another dimension to his character and i get the feeling he'd fit the role beautifully.

Trav/Devitt II was glorious, just a fantastic match from top to bottom and has to be a MOTY contender. Also the second show in a row where Devitt has relocated my seat to the third row lol.

Terry Funk was a real class act to meet and talk to. Just a really nice guy who seemed genuinely please to be there and meeting the fans. Got myself an old black n white 8x10 of him with the NWA title signed. So a welcome addition to the collection. Petey, Corino and Fox were all decent guys too. Didn't plan to meet Rikishi and Vader on Friday as i had photo ops booked with them at Comic Con. Although ended up chatting to Rikishi briefly while waiting for my pic with Devitt during the interval. Managed to get a pic i knocked up signed by Devitt too, so that was a nice bonus. The Q&A with Funk was great also, just a really great guy to listen to.

Comic Con on Sunday was fun, the addition of the 2 PCW mini-shows didnt hurt it any. The ring setup in the car park was different and they got a fairly decent crowd in the end. The matches were all fun and they just about beat the weather. They filmed the whole thing, so i expect those matches will see the light of day on a release down the road. Got to meet a few people from the PCW fan forum and PowerButchi. So was a great day out all in all. Also had my arm around Allison Mack, so life could be much worse lol.

Me and the Mrs are still fairly new to PCW, with our first show being Supershow 3 last November. But we haven't missed a show since, and don't intend to short of any shows that clash with festivals (like the upcoming free show). We always have a blast over in Preston and i can't speak highly enough of the PCW experience. It really is in a league of its own.

• Paid Members

No trademark big over-long show from me for the last one, shall leave late comments to:

- Not PCW's best show, but that is no criticism since it was still massive, massive fun and there was absolutely no stinkers. Well, in a manner of speaking (see below)... These PCW nights are just so enjoyable, and as soon as one is done you find yourself immediately looking forward to the next.

- We were once again caught out by under-estimating how popular the show was going to be, so leaving it late to enter the building meant we were again struggling to see at times. Our own fault, since the popularity of PCW seems to be going up and up, which can only be a good thing, and the baseline attendance at virtually every show now (i.e. not just the 'supershow' type dealies) is hugely up from where it was this time last year. PCW is deservedly the hot ticket in the area, the cool thing to go and see, and the absolute packed attendances are testament to that, so big props. We need to start getting there early, though!

- We ended up stood behind a lanky Scottish guy who came back from the bogs just as the show was starting and actually OVERWHELMINGLY STANK OF PISS for the rest of the night. I am not making this up. He must have literally just gone and pissed all over himself. It was a running joke for everyone in that vicinity for the duration of the show, but jesus christ man, have some dignity.

- I was surprised how quick Martin Kirby vs. AR Fox was (probably clocked in at around 5 minutes), but it did its job perfectly as the signature PCW all-action super-exciting opener full of cool moves to kick-start the show (***1/4). It seemed Fox wasn't particularly well-known coming in, but when he did his inward-twisting springboard cannonball to the floor he had the crowd jumping and with him for the rest of the way. He's one of those imports that not many people knew beforehand and no-one had bought a ticket to especially go and see, but now he has been here and won people over, he would be a ticket seller for a return appearance. It's the same situation as Uhaa Nation last year.

- I found it hard to be excited by Noam Dar vs. Steve Corino and El Ligero vs. Petey Williams, but they were perfectly decent. The biggest point of note was the Dar losing streak continuing (and it'll be a year since his last win by the time the next set of shows rolls round) to the point he is now outwardly displaying his frustration as he refused to shake Corino's hand afterwards. Bubblegum, Rampage & T-Bone vs. Allmark, Masters & Rayne was great fun for the Legion of Boom's Ultimate Warrior tribute, particularly Masters who kept it up the entire match with incredible accuracy. Mastiff vs. Garrett was also completely fine. Garrett really comes over to me as the type of guy that WWE would certainly be interested in. He's young, athletic, has a great look and, while fairly green, is something they can work with and mould into their type of wrestler.

- Prince Devitt vs. Kris Travis was superb, and easily the best match I've seen in the UK so far this year (****1/4). I thought their first one in March was terrific (****), but this one managed to surpass it. Big moves, big near-falls and big drama, very reminiscent of Trav's bouts with Kevin Steen last year. Back-to-back Devitt wins seem to rule out the possibility of a trilogy a la Trav-Masters, but do make sense given Devitt is genuinely a top-line mega-star and easilty one of the best in-ring talents in the entire world at the moment.

- I got a big kick out of the legends' parade which made up the lumberjacks for the main event. You couldn't realistically put Funk, Vader and Rikishi in matches these days and expect them to to do very much (that's what the other UK and indy performers are on the show to do), but they were perfect here and it was great seeing everyone bounce around off them. Vader at least looked like he was enjoying himself this time (instead of being a such a miserable bastard in December that we sacked-off the post-show Q&A with him that we had already paid for), while Funk and Rikishi looked absolutely thrilled to be there. Big 'Kish kept doing the "UUUUUUUUUUU!!!" shout in recognition of his sons, to which everyone of course responded "SSSSOOOOOOO!!!". Everyone go to do their move on Joey Hayes afterwards, then Rikishi, Funk, Masters and even Vader did the Too Cool dance, which had me grinning from ear-to-ear and sent everyone home happy. Great moment.

Sooo, onto the next one, which is the 'Supershow IV' weekend comprising 3 shows over 30 and 31 May. I can't say I'm as inspired by the line-up of imports as as I have for previous Supershows (bar the return of PCW favourites Chris Masters and Uhaa Nation), but that doesn't matter one jot and I had no hesitation in signing up for my ticket. PCW weekenders, with the 3 shows, Q&A sessions, meet n' greets, comedy shows, post-show antics etc. are just a great overall experience that I would recommend everyone try.

Speaking of which.... Prestonites: does anyone know anywhere that will be showing the Froch-Groves fight live on the Saturday night? I would guess at PCW being done by the time they hit the ring, but might have to dip out of PCW a little early.

• Paid Members
The biggest point of note was the Dar losing streak continuing (and it'll be a year since his last win by the time the next set of shows rolls round)

Well, he did pin Johnny Kidd on the hangover show in November, but he hasn't registered a win on an evening show since the Danny Hope match over No Retreat, No Surrender.

Benny, best bet for the fight would probably be upstairs at The Corn Exchange, they've shown lots of boxing live in the past there, plus it's right by the Holiday Inn so ideal for you.

Come into post the exact same, not sure it still shows as many fights though since it's rebrand from The Assembly to The Corn Exchange.

Worth asking on it's FB Page, here

• Paid Members

...and it's confirmed that Corn Exchange will be showing the boxing live on the big screens on the Saturday night. Looks a decent place for a drink and a boogie too - having walked past it many a time on the way to the Wetherspoon's and with it being virtually next door to the Premier Inn I can't believe I haven't already been in there on one of my many Preston visits...

...and it's confirmed that Corn Exchange will be showing the boxing live on the big screens on the Saturday night. Looks a decent place for a drink and a boogie too - having walked past it many a time on the way to the Wetherspoon's and with it being virtually next door to the Premier Inn I can't believe I haven't already been in there on one of my many Preston visits...

Several pool tables upstairs too.